Phiranna
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only rechargeables. Regular batts would cost me a fortune every year. Either get a rechargable pack is one is available for your machine or get a set of Eneloop rechargables.

speter42

Jan 22, 2013
St Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Leaning toward A Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I understand it,the "rechareable" batteries only charge up to 1.2v each, for a total of 9.6v.
So, if your machine needs 8 AA batteries (1.5v X 8=12volts) your machine will be running on 9.6v verses 12volts
It will work,...but not that long!

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would focus more on battery chemistry than anything else.

I would want something that has a very sharp discharge curve, doesn't weigh a ton, and is somewhat protected from over/under charging.

Lithium is the way to go in current battery technology. It has an extremely limited memory problem, lightest weight-capacity ratio, and very tolerant to charging inconsistencies.

If your detector takes AA or AAA, you can get some very high capacity rechargeable batteries from Wal-mart. Something like 2200Mah which is phenomenal.

I certainly recommend a re-usable battery though. The Alkaline are just too expensive.

WM

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USA = Alkalines last . Today i got CR123=3v batterys li ions with a charger for my streemlight / ordered it from battery junction .

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I understand it,the "rechareable" batteries only charge up to 1.2v each, for a total of 9.6v.
So, if your machine needs 8 AA batteries (1.5v X 8=12volts) your machine will be running on 9.6v verses 12volts
It will work,...but not that long!

It's not about max voltage, it's how long you can maintain a usable voltage. While alkalines may give you 12 v and last 3 days (example) the rechargables can give you 9.6 STARTING voltage but you could get 2 - 2.5 days from them (comparative example). if you put them on the charger before each hunt, you'll never run out and the batteries will last years before they need to be replaced. Now compare that slightly longer lasting time on the alkalines which have to be replaced every 3 days.

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Bounty hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett pro pointer, Garrett AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never buy batteries. My Wife gets them for free. after every surgery they toss out the ones they used with the tools and put in a fresh set. In everything So we stock up on AAA and AA and 9v's other wise they just may get used for ten min or so or not at all and dumped. it is a liability issue so the next patient has brand new batteries. even if the ones before were never used. So I have not bought any batteries for the last seven years.

OP
OP
Gary1963

Gary1963

Jan 3, 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030 XP Deus Garrett Pin Pointer
Phiranna
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the info.:notworthy:

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
walgreens alkaline. they are always running buy one pack get one free

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use 8 Duracell NIMH Rechargeables and I get about 15 to 20 hours of operation per charge. They are 2000 mAh. I've had them two years and they are still going fine. I have two sets, so I can change them in the field. While normal batteries maintain a steady voltage to the end and then just die, rechargeables slowly fade. My MD has a battery charge gauge. It has five bars. I always recharge when the indicator shows two bars left. I sometimes recharge at three bars. I have noticed that sometimes with three bars left on the indicator my MD will opperate poorly. I would prefer Lithium batteries, but cannot afford them.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
My XLT shows the exact battery voltage at startup, so I go by that. My rechargeable pack has died so I am presently using Duracells. I buy them in bulk packs at BJ's. I will probably rebuild the rechargeable pack with lithium batts. Frank

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread