Wine bottles from wrecks,,are they valuable?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep researching! Some is still drinkable,i myself would not want to pay what its worth, ($$$to right buyer(s)but applaud it. Bottles too can be sold or go other directions. As a home brewer i like old bottles,some are a pain to clean and different styles have different uses. Like dry land recoveries it depends on the maker,type, condition and who is after them. H.H.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
others have found old wine bottles, are they worth recovering, any value to them,,,what if they have wine still in them?

Hello Bahama Jim,

Welcome to Tnet. I'm an old bottle fan. Yes they are worth recovering. Some do have substantial "value." We have a Bottle & Glass forum here. Please do put up some photos when you find some. Good luck.

XXX_Marine_Encrusted_Bottles_copy_copy.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It may be drinkable,but dont if its rare.Heres an interesting fact.

Oldest Wine

The oldest datable wine has been an amphora salvaged and drank by Captain Jacques Cousteau from the wreck of a Greek trader sunk in the Mediterranean circa 230 B.C. Wine jars recovered from the Pompeii eruption of A.D. 79 were found labeled VESUVINUM – The oldest known trade mark (1979).

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The square one is a Case Gin bottle the others appear to be black glass,applied top, maybe 3-peice mold (1840-1870). Very collectiable, without the barnacles!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread