Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everyone, just wanted to ask a few questions about Digging in Virginia. How do you sign up for one of the events, I always wanted to go to one. Also when would be the best time to sign up it looks like to hard to get a guaranteed spot even the waiting list has 100s on it it seems. Also for the ones that experienced these hunts how would you rate it and is it a good time? Thanks!! HH!!

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know several DIV hunts around here in Stafford have been successful like the one @ Stoneman Switch they had a couple times, I think those hunts were $250 for each person and one time like 300 people showed up, I haven't been to a DIV hunt but i hear all about them... I think the best place to start would be joining the Northern Virginia Relic Hunting Association they have events and listings, monthly newsletters,etc... but be cautious too anything over $250 may just not be worth it mainly if your fighting over 100 people for a spot while hunting and I know some DIVs can be up near $500 mainly for a confederate DIV.. Good luck! :occasion14:

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Diggin in Virginia hunts are FIRST CLASS events. They are always held on known Civil War camp/battle sites and there are always tons of relics found. The cost is $250 per person for three days and it includes a BBQ lunch and raffles on day three. They will not guarantee that you'll find relics, but they will promise you that you will have a great time. Everyone associated with the hunt helps everyone out. If you're not finding anything, they'll try to help you get on a spot to find something. You won't find that at any other hunt you attend.

You do have to arrange your own hotel as that isn't included in the $250 fee.

This is an invitation hunt. There are sign-ups on the DIV forum on the mytreasurespot forum page. The sign-ups usually last about 2 weeks and are usually started about a month or so after the currently scheduled hunt. So, sometime in April, they will probably have sign ups. Sometimes they'll automatically select the first few hunters that sign up, so it pays to get in early. They usually select a lot of folks they know or have hunted before in other DIV events, but they always try to invite some new faces to join in as well. The number of participants will depend on how large of a hunt site has been leased. Usually between 250 and 350, sometimes 400 participants will be invited. The alternates list usually gets used up, but it hasn't for the upcoming hunt.

I have hunted in 3 and I'll be hunting in the one coming up. While I've never found sacks full of relics, I've seen sacks full of relics found. At the last hunt I attended, on day one I saw a gentleman lugging a sweatshirt he was using as a sack, it was loaded with 188 mini balls that he had found in one hole. At the same hunt, a sword was found, numerous belt plates and buckles. Lots of bullets, buttons and other items. I've found bullets: 57, 69, 69-buck & ball, 44 colt, 44 round balls, friction primers, j-hooks, button backs, small buckles, rivets, grommets...

The dirt in that hunt area is very mineralized and most VLF detectors with ground balance capabilities will work OK but you do loose depth, but you have to dig every signal you get to get the goodies. Bullets sound like iron and iron sounds like iron. Shallow nails sound like bullets, and shallow bullets sound like bullets... You just have to dig it all. For the best return on relics, a Pulse Induction detector is recommended. The White's TDI is not too bad but the king at DIV is the Minelab GPX series detectors. They'll dig bullets at 18+ deep that the other detectors can't hear.

If you decide to give it a try, good luck getting in. If you do, it's worth it!

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would you show up with a garrett at pro or at gold with dd coil?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
would you show up with a garrett at pro or at gold with dd coil?

They both will work. Depth will be sacrificed. Dig it all is the best advice anyone can give you.

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How well you think the AT Pro will do in the Virginia soil??

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How well you think the AT Pro will do in the Virginia soil??

It works. I found bullets, button back, small knapsack buckle. You just have to dig it all and don't expect to dig anything small at 10".

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks I was a little worried about that, thinking everyone who goes always brings the high end machines lol

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are all the targets usually really deep at DIV?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks I was a little worried about that, thinking everyone who goes always brings the high end machines lol

As for relic depth, some are laying on the surface in plowed fields. Some items are deep. I saw a GPX user dig a 69 caliber mini ball at 18"+. A friend's Garrett Infinium did not hear it.

The reason most bring the high end machines is because they want the best bang for their DIV buck. They don't get many chances to do it and they want the best opportunity to get something good and the Pulse Induction machines give them the best chance. Whatever you take, just be sure you understand the machine and how to tune it. Culpeper isn't a place to try and learn a new machine.

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you very much!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d love to hit one of the DIV hunts, do they only host one at a time or multiple hunts to accommodate the demand?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread