civil war site. beaverdam creek. fortifications galore and only two bullets?????

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i would consider myself fairly new to the hobby. about 5 months but i go at least 4 times a week. I have just obtained written permision to hunt 55 acres of prime confederate fortifications on the confederate side of the creek. It borders the Chickahominy river. the actual beaverdam creek battlefield area where most of the battle took place is park property. I went yesterday and we hunted for a while..in and out of the trenches..fortifications ect..down by the swampy river and even saw the old roads where they would have wheeled the cannon in for set up. i am thinking that the leave and debris rate would have and has made most of these relics unreachable by any detector???? it was a bit discouraging to say the least but i am not going to give up....any tips?

the owner did say it was hunted he thinks fairly good in the early 80's.........is that my issue?

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outcome,

Man you are just 20-25 years to late. Beaverdam has been pounded and all but destroyed by development. I have hunted it a few times in the late 90's and found nothing but lead scraps. Don't get me wrong, I'll take lead all day and everyday nowdays. With the machine you are using, I do not think you are going reach down and grab the deep stuff left over. You have to remember that every machine made since 1969 has been over that ground. You will need the T2 SE, Blisstool, Minelab E-trac, the newer minelab CTX and GPX, etc.... But, I have never hunted a totally hunted out spot yet. Always something left to grab but you will have to work very hard at and know your machine front and backwards. Good luck!!

Wes

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice, you never know until you dig. Good luck!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If a spot is no secret to the history books of your area, then trust me, as Wes says: It's been hit. Unless the place is highly secure (fences and way-off-limits), or unless you're in an area of the USA without many [good] hunters, then the odds are, any good place, has been hit.

I know of some parts of the USA where it certainly seems that most of the hunters must be timid, and not "doing their homework". But in the CW regions, this is usually not the case. Some of the earliest hobbyist detecting STARTED in those states (litterally guys coming back after the Korean war, putting the then-new more-sensitive mine-detectors to work) So if you trace back to the earliest beginning of hobbyist detecting in the USA, the CW region was amongst the earliest to get detectors (even as early as the 1950s, albeit ever-so-crude).

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hang in there i'm pretty sure they didn't grid that whole 55 acres, just keep hunting and you'll find a great spot!!!

L

l2hunt

Hunt the hell out of it! Things will turn up.....remember low and slow!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your detector says it all
get a white's pulse scan and you will be the envy of us all when your sucking the ground dry with all the banner finds you will be finding...never seen a detector over load on a three ringer bullet a 9 inches until I seen a white's pulse scan do it...all the other meteal detecting companies should be taking notes....

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted near that area before in the early 2000s, it has been hit really really hard but there is still relics there i can bet you on that. Try and take your time and slow hunt and listen for fainter signals instead of maybe moving around all over the place to different site try picking one big site out and hunt it nice and slow then work your way to another part of the woods,etc.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
your detector says it all
get a white's pulse scan and you will be the envy of us all when your sucking the ground dry with all the banner finds you will be finding...never seen a detector over load on a three ringer bullet a 9 inches until I seen a white's pulse scan do it...all the other meteal detecting companies should be taking notes....

Sheesk, if a place is worked so hard that it takes an all-metal pulse machine, to find anything else, that is a sad day indeed! I can only imagine the amount of iron cr*p a person would have to dig through, using the whites pulse scan, JUST to avail himself of that few more inches they provide.

Either that, or perhaps those CW sites aren't that iron ridden?

OP
OP
OUTCOME1

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow i hear ya on that liftloop. that sounds like a machine there

OP
OP
OUTCOME1

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can also see that point as well tom in ca

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all metal program would be the way to go

you lucky bum

salvage diver

Feb 11, 2012
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites-DFX & Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about spending a truck load on a new detector. My first machine was your exact machine. I now have a whites DFX and I often grab the 4000 and have a good time. Remember why you started MDing. (For fun I hope). Because if it was for profit you have a poor business plan. Just have fun and remember "IT'S ALL IN THE CHASE"

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try hunting away from the earth works a bit. Those are places that have been hit the hardest. I've hunted earth works that had 0 signals left. I didn't start finding stuff till I got a few hundred yards away.
Don't be afraid to dig the iron signals you might get a nice artillery shell or gun tools or better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions