got Pro-Pointer muddy,now volume faded,any ideas?

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all, been spending most of my time on "Todays Finds" ,and "What is it?" trying to get a camera so I can post my finds and hopefully get some ID's on some of them. Anyway, been hunting all winter and when the ground was thawed enough the snow layer melt would make for quite a muddy hunt. I got my pro-pointer pretty muddy a couple of times,even when I taped a "filter" over the speaker holes.
Since then, the sound output has been reduced about 50%. Other than blowing out the holes with compressed air is there anything else I can do? If no ideas, I will have to wait till I can get a spare as planned (so my wife and I can hunt together) and then send it back to Garrett for them to fix or replace. Is it covered under warrantee in my case?

Any help would be appreciated- Happy Huntin...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am guessing you changed the batteries? Other than cleaning I do not know. Is it still vibrating ok?

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next 1 you get wrap the speaker hole in black tape or silicone it up that will help keep it clean and clear

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used twist tie to clean the mud out of the speaker slots, let it dry out, then repete. Then I put electric tape over the slits, leaving a very small area at one end open for better sound

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a horse supply store and buy a roll of Coban. It is a self adhesive product that is used to bandage horses and humans alike. Once used, it can be easily cut off.

We use the stuff to keep mud out of radio controlled truck motors, yet not overheat since it lets stuff breath.

It makes a perfect speaker protector.

WM

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for your nput. Yes thr unit still vibrates OK. changing batteries didn't help,must have dried mud on speaker inside.
Will blow out with compressed air later today and see if it improves.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a toothpick on mine to clean the speaker ports

ICON

Dec 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the COBAN is a good idea !! i used that 30 years ago, on my rc CLODBUSTER. thanks for reminding me !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread