Pinpointers HELP please

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
For every one person that comes out here bashing the Garrett for "breaking down" there are 99 others who have never had a problem at all. The Garrett is very well made. I don't know if it is just the same guy/gal coming out here bashing the Garrett but I would take that information with a grain of salt. Every product out there has their lemons so I don't think Garrett's are prone to breakage more so than any other product. Hands down the overwhelming favorite out here is the Garrett. When the Garrett first came out there were few other options available that were even close. Now there are other pinpointers that are also of high quality. The Minelab appears to be pretty good. The Vibra-Probe is also recommended by those who own them.

The Centech "works" but is not anywhere near the quality or capability of the Garrett (despite what the resident Centech evangelist Frankn will tell you). If you don't have the money then the Centech is ok. But it has some major flaws. The biggest of which is that it doesn't tell you when you are getting closer to the target. The Garrett (and any other quality pinpointer) beeps/vibrates faster as you get closer to the target. I personally would not buy a pinpointer that does not do this. I can't overstate how important this is. The Garrett leads you directly to the target. The Centech just beeps if it senses something (anything). For large targets the Centech can sound off everywhere in the hole. At that point it becomes completely useless. Is the target to the left, right, lower, who knows? With the Garrett you can quickly whisk it around the hole and at some point it will beep faster telling you exactly which direction you need to go. The Centech has other flaws: quality, not water/mist/humidity resistant, requires manual tuning, cumbersome (doesn't fit well into pouch), crappy button, and so on. More than likely, anyone pushing the Centech as being better than the Garrett has never actually tried the Garrett. I have both. The Centech works but that's about all I can say about it. If my Centech broke I wouldn't buy another one.

Good luck. You can't go wrong with the Garrett but there are other good pinpointers available as well. I would research the Garrett, Minelab, Vibra-Probe, and any others that are recommended that beep faster as you get closer to the target. If it doesn't beep/vibrate faster, it isn't worth your money.

Well 69 I don't know where to start on your smear post of me. Let me just WADE thru it. Where did you get your opening statement that only 1 in 99 breakdown? I would like see that source. There is a little truth in there. I would agree that Minelab and Vibraprobe look good and vibraprobe is the only truly waterproof pinpointer of the bunch. Garret has a hole in the side so it is hardly water resistance. You say Cen tec just beeps at anything in the hole. actually it just beeps at any metal target in the hole same as the Garrett. When My Cen tec gets to 1" of a dime it beeps and I pick up the dime. when the Garrett gets to 1" of a dime it beeps a varible tone. I don't need the melody to locate the dime, now maybe you do. True, the Cen tec has manual tuning, but the Garrett requires you to tape a nickle on the shaft for tuning. My big point is they both find a dime at the same distance as proven by the video test here on T Net in the technical section. I will give you one thing. the Garrett has a more comfortable grip But this feature makes it cramped to work on and darn near impossible to mod. For the record I am not an Evangelist, I am a Catholic.
The big bone I have with this is the gross overpricing at $160 list of the Garrett. Frank...

111-1 profileRED.jpg

Last edited:

Jaydell

Jul 8, 2012
Hedgesville, WV
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can tell you is I have the minelab and I love it. I had a sunray probe on my old explorer and if I had the choice between the two I think I would stick with the new minelab pinpointer.
I had the white's bullseye and an automax and the minelab runs circles around all of them. Too bad there is not a place you can go and compare the Garrett and minelab pinpointers - then you could choose the one you like best. Good luck!!!

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They all will help to find your intended target. The main thing is that you have one, and treat it like your American Express "Never leave home without it!". I use a Garrett propointer and love it. Kellyco sometimes has bundle options with a digging tool a stuff included in the $128 price that you see everywhere. I like the added bang for the buck. Good luck with whatever you choose.

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a cen-tech and it works fine for me. I have heard the button is junk and wears out,but I have never had a problem with mine.I averaged at least 7 hrs of hunting a week last summer,and no problems .I would rather spend the extra 100 some dollars on a different coil or something to improve the detector itself. any pinpointer will get your find out of the hole,you just have to have the equipment to get to that point. I have tried out a Garrett pinpointer,and it is a great quality product,but it is just not for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread