Anyone ever use the minelab F3 mine detector?

drayo

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Leland NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm new here and new to detecting. Just got a minelab f3 mine detector and wanted to know if anyone has ever used one, liked/disliked it. I went out for the first time today for just a few minutes. The beach I was searching had been replenished so there's a lot of fresh sand out there. I first found a quarter about six inches deep, then a dime right at 8 inches. I found four more quarters about 10-11 inches and a couple of pennies just below the surface. I was very impressed for a trial run. Anyone else use one of these and have any tips on using it? Thanks.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.
and wow that is incredible rite of the bat your going to do well with it
is it a vlf or a pulse

OP
OP
drayo

drayo

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Leland NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.
and wow that is incredible rite of the bat your going to do well with it
is it a vlf or a pulse

It says it is a multi-period sensing technology. Pulse induction bi polar multi period sensing. Not sure what that means. I do know it is sensitive...found a fragment of a fish hook on the beach buried right at ten inches deep and it was a strong signal.

Eric Wilson

Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Donnie, please keep us posted on the capabilities of the f3. I just turned down a chance at one and am regretting it a lot but purse strings are tight- sorry to say. How did you get yours-eBay? They aren't easy to find that's for sure. I know how sensitive they are supposed to be and the half hook certainly proves it. How difficult is it to determine relative target size? Does it have any kind of tonal target ID like a civilian mine lab would? I have heard that you can make some adjustments in regard to the target size it accepts- is that true? Is your depth on dry land similar? Does it have any drawbacks or quirks that would make you think twice about buying one? One more thing, I see that you are from South Port- home of Robert Ruark- a greatly under appreciated writer- The poor Man's Hemingway some have said- an unfortunate comparison I think - but understandable. Anyway since you are from South Port I would encourage you to join the NC group if you have not already. Continued good hunting, please let me know all you can about f3

Last edited:

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Donnie, please keep us posted on the capabilities of the f3. I just turned down a chance at one and am regretting it a lot but purse strings are tight- sorry to say. How did you get yours-eBay? They aren't easy to find that's for sure. I know how sensitive they are supposed to be and the half hook certainly proves it. How difficult is it to determine relative target size? Does it have any kind of tonal target ID like a civilian mine lab would? I have heard that you can make some adjustments in regard to the target size it accepts- is that true? Is your depth on dry land similar? Does it have any drawbacks or quirks that would make you think twice about buying one? One more thing, I see that you are from South Port- home of Robert Ruark- a greatly under appreciated writer- The poor Man's Hemingway some have said- an unfortunate comparison I think - but understandable. Anyway since you are from South Port I would encourage you to join the NC group if you have not already. Continued good hunting, please let me know all you can about f3

I own an F3 as well. F3 is a PI machine, basically a SD2200 in a water resistant aluminum body. It seems to be about the same performance as my Infinium, maybe slightly deeper. Mine has no knobs other than a green button, for ground balancing, but there is a revised model by the same name that has led lights. The F3 has dual tones similar to the Infinium, giving a high-low for copper and up, and low-high tone for materials under copper like nickels, pulltabs, bobby pins, and of course gold.

Only drawback, is the earpiece is garbage. When beach hunting the noise from the waves drowns out the threshold, making it near impossible to hear whispers on days when the waves are rough, on calmer wave days it isn't too bad.

Got mine off Ebay as well, they come up like once a month or so.

Here is an air test video that I did with the F3:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got an F3 to play with. I got a great private deal on the full package with hardcase. I have played with it in my yard to see how it sounds but I haven't dug anything yet. If I don't like it, I'll sell it and get my money back.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got an F3 to play with. I got a great private deal on the full package with hardcase. I have played with it in my yard to see how it sounds but I haven't dug anything yet. If I don't like it, I'll sell it and get my money back.

Nice, I didn't get the hard case :( What kind of hunting do you plan on doing with it? Could be a pretty good nugget shooting or relic hunting machine, I use mine for beach hunting.

I got mine for $500 which is a screaming deal considering that they sell for $3500 new...

Minelab sells a 17.7" round mono coil for it, called the UXO coil, but after inquiring about the price, there was one too many zeros on the price... screw paying as much as an Infinium for a coil...

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was planning on using it for relic hunting. I have heard a lot of horror stories about nightmare soil which most detectors can't see more than a few inches. A modern minelab PI, should be just the ticket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread