Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadians buy a lot of merchandise from U.S. sellers on ebay but as of the last few years, most U.S. sellers won't sell outside of their country.
Why did this change?
Especially with detectors.
We'll pay the extra cost. Heck, I'll do the paperwork to clear it at customs.
It shouldn't make much of a difference to the seller.
Our postage is expensive but to ship to Canada isn't that expensive for Americans.
It was cheaper to buy from the U.S. (shipping) than it from our own country!
My friends and I would have spent thousands of dollars over the last few years but nope..... wouldn't sell to Canada.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Cheers,
Dave.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my experience, shipping antique bottles a few times, if the box was over a certain size, or weight , it went to air rates = lots of $$$$$

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wounder-ed the same thing
with free trade you would think it would be easy
but that's just me being snarky

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy and sell a number of ham radios on Ebay. I won't ship to or buy from Canada. I will tell you why.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I have made a transaction, it has taken over 1 month to get the item into or out of Canada. Nothing fancy or expensive or dangerous. Simple electronics take a MONTH!!!

Because of this (and Ebay's new policy), I have had buyers claim fraud on my part due to the item not arriving then Ebay holds my funds.

I can seriously throw a rock across the border from here in central Wyoming, yet it takes so long to move objects it isn't worth it.

Because of numerous problems and complaints filed, I have shipped every conceivable way yet the problem persists. I choose not to do business with Canada. I can ship radios to a jungle in Bolivia faster than I can get them to any major Canadian city.

WM

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies.
Wyomingmedic, that's just the honest explanation I was looking for. I didn't know why but figured there must be a reason.
I should read up on ebay's new policies as I haven't sold anything on there for years now.
Customs is probably the major issue.
That sucks but I don't blame you.
It's ironic how difficult things are now that our dollar is par with yours and Canadians can actually afford to buy as opposed to when it took $1.50 to equal a U.S. dollar.
:BangHead:

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I quit international shipping a few years back because of the extra paperwork at the post office. Postal clerks in the U.S. are being driven mad by their bosses in D.C. That makes them, sometimes, hard on customers. I lived in a small town where the postmaster knew everyone and life was good. Then I moved to a larger place and found the big city clerks to be horrible to deal with. I can mail in the U.S. without even having to go to the P.O., but with customs forms I have to go stand in line and put up with P.O. - B.S. to make a few dollars profit.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I still sell to Canada on ebay.. You just have to let the buyer know what it will cost them..... and it will not be there in a week or 2 weeks some times... never had a problem yet...But like Grizleebear said about living in a small town..... That makes it easy...... It is a very friendly post office in my town ....Not like the bigger towns..I have hunted with some that work at our post office.....

Takelababy

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EBay changed their shipping policy. Some sellers would sell a low dollar item but charge a horrific fee to mail to Canada so ebay decided to cash in on this and added a percentage based fee. Anything sold on ebay now has to be shipped Priority to Canada which increases the shipping costs altho it does include insurance. I buy privately from the US. We no longer pay duty but we do have to pay the same taxes as tho bought in our own province. Ontario is 13%. It is collected at the post office for an additional fee of $8. It was recently raised from $5. Just because it states Ship to US only, many sellers will ship to Canada, just ask.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions