Whats the best way to tell non/ precious metals apart

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the best way to tell non/ precious metals apart

I recycle all the metals I dig from steele to copper & everything in between ;its the in between part I need help with. Generally I can tell what I call regular stainless from good stainless by its magnet attraction/w the latted being more attractive[ by far] brass & copper ;I differentiate by scraping with a file or alike. Cast alumnium is generally easy but when you get into alloys it can be a b$#$% -tough. I get more money from my local Recycling place when I seperate metals [ by kind]. Now I know lead but there are some metals / alloys such as pewter/ zinc & alike that I can usually tell them by their softness /cheapness. Sorry folks my need is to tell Pure nickel or mostly nickel & Hard cast alumnium apart:icon_scratch: Dang it I just want to keep the BRASS NICKEL, & EVEN TITANIUM apart from the rest becaouse thats where my best scrap money comes from. Of course they [scrap Co.] would like me to bunch most metals togehter with my scrap steel and give me 9-11 cents a pound & they can seperate later/easier for me , yes /them? ..As yall can see I am DEFINIETLY NO METALLURGIST . I would be grateful for any comments ,GOOD DAY ...Davers:BangHead:

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
A magnet will stick to pure nickle but not to cast alum. Nickle is also alot heavier for the same mass.
Titanium is very light and oxidizes dark gray.
Also there are two brasses red and yellow that pay different prices.
Would be nice if the price on handheld xrf analyzers would come down. There are many metals being sold as the wrong thing to scrap yards.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand where you're coming from, but maybe you're putting too much effort into it. I'd just be more concerned with the more precious metals, and let the scrapyard deal with the rest. After all, time is money, and you'll be :BangHead: all for a possible few extra cents.

Spend that time, collecting more metal :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guy's for the replys [Id forgotten aboyt this thread] You are both right I always wondered what that [price check thing] was the guy at the S.Yard was checking diff, metals was. & Copper and brass are precious enough for me. Example..lately Ive dug small baseball/ softball size Brass ,water or gas valve parts and also alot of sections of coppre pipe one was 10+ feet long [ it was then folded & put aside for the trip back to the car] but I digress even though I dug no silver coins that day I did have about 3 or 4 lbs of brass & 3 lbs of # 1 copper which I then turned into cash about 15$ then drove 3 miles to the Coin store and bought 4 nice Mercury Dimes. ? yes I would have rather dug them it still made the day M.D. worth while plus I saved all the clad & brass cents for later. Like said if I dig it I like to get at least something for the effort. Good day & Best of luck.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't too addicted where you start scrapping the gold off computer chips.

That will drive you :tard: :tongue3:

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't too addicted where you start scrapping the gold off computer chips.

That will drive you :tard: :tongue3:

Ill try not to ,I learned my lesson as a teen try to scrape the silver off plated spoons [waste of time] Maybe my Doc should up my OCD meds .?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread