Help me decide on a second machine

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro 5x8DD coil, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche, Grey Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im thinking about buying a second machine for my fiance/brother/dad to swing, after my fiance's introduction to the hobby she absolutely loves it, my dad is a MD veteran and my brother lives in a ghost town built around 1900. I have an at pro and im very happy with it so far..it seems we speak the same language lol. My question is (im sold on the new garrett features and 5x8 DD coil) if get a second machine do i get another at pro or would an at gold be a better choice? I do have access to a lot of ground with gold in it and may occasionally prospect, and i like the option of adjustable threshold with the at gold, but i tend to think i give up a little depth at 18khz vs 15khz on the pro on coins, or would the true all metal mode make up for it? Coin shooting is my primary activity. Soils around here generally ground balance out at 76-80 around here on my at, what does this mean soil wise? I appreciate any and all advice and comments as im new to the microprocessor world of metal detecting, i was weaned on a nice analog machine :notworthy:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I think I read the AT Pro is deeper on coins & the AT Gold can detect very tiny gold the AT Pro might miss. Your soil type is slightly worse than average. A black sand area that might have gold would have a much lower ground balance number, I'm guessing maybe in 40s or so? Garrett would know for sure. Best wishes, George (MN)

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all set you straight 3 khz is not going to make a diff-rents 10 or more will... but all the other thing will... a window to see were the ground matrix is... plus.. atgold..
and the threshold will make a different... atgold...plus..
as for there discretion differences.... no...
all iron mode atgold... plus.... seem to me they should drop the at pro line and call the at gold the at pro there discretion style is out dated and that they both have... and the atgold is not water prof
and to operate all that on 4 aa you will chew threw batteries like candy
iron audio & iron audio roll over is garrets Fancie name for what white's call iron grunt...some day garret will change there face plate and the way they show their information but till then it's out dated and behind times... your better off with a beep and dig detector from tesoro they only have one detector that displays any information the rest are beep and dig
but that's just me... I'm very byes... I love white's detector.... I read about all the other band just to keep informed....

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what no counter intelligent

OP
OP
F

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro 5x8DD coil, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche, Grey Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what no counter intelligent

Huh?

Im looking for advice, it may not be a garrett, if I could find a decent analog type machine with decent discrimination that would be fine too.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's 5900 DiPro or 6000 dipro there analogue machine's that go extremely deep when the 15' deep scan maxima is applied

OP
OP
F

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im looking at a tesoro cibola as a possible candidate, any thoughts? My initial research has me wondering why not? Could be a good alternate to my at pro..

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I see the Garrett 350 is a non waterproof AT pro (I have) At the price you wont beat it/// Perry

OP
OP
F

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mistakenly posted a new thread about my decision, I ordered a tesoro cibola, I love the way that thing acts and sounds, it reminds me of the old but very good analog machine I learned on years ago, this will be for my fiance(birthday present)and a back up for me as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread