Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing this Almost as long as you been alive,
And can honestly say that I have never run up on a
snake while Mding! Seriously!! I ran up one two on the course, And thats it...My hunting buddy of years says
that I move so slow that I give the snakes time to hear
me and to get the H%^^ outta the way!lol............HH

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not seen much while detecting, but have seen plenty over the years while arrowhead hunting. I usually sneak up close & take pictures. As long as I know where they are & they know where I am, it's okay. In the case that I feel threatened (which never happens. Not from snakes anyway), I carry a pistol.
milk snake.jpg
milk snake1.jpg

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, this is just a milk snake. It's harmless, but colorful.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love snakes and that milk snake is beautiful. Around where I live there is a rare chance of ever encountering a rattle snake but we do have snakes that I like to catch. My friend is actually deathly afraid of snakes which is funny because he is a big guy with tattoos all down his arms and a shaved head. Anyways the foundation of his house is home to a colony of snakes, just garter snakes but he is still scared. Me and a friend go out to his place in the spring and summer and pick them up and relocate them to my farm.

But as to your question I have a friend who goes antelope hunting each year and he bought a pair of snake bite boots because of the rattle snakes. There are boots and chaps that are snake proof, that I know for sure.

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
Snakes haven't been a problem for me, but twice I dug up bee's nests. Since I am allergic and was stung multple times I ended up going to the ER. Bee's nests (especially hornets) seem to be especially numerous in urban woods.... and the bees in those nests are the meanest!!!! HH M.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Growing up my dad and I would pour gas down hornet and holes and burn them.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snakes hearing is based through feeling vibrations in the ground. If you walk heavily and move slowly, the chances of suprising one is greatly reduced. On thing to bear in mind, when dealing with snakes, is that no snake can strike further than 1/3 it's length. So, for a six foot rattler, more than two foot away and you are safe. I am facinated by snakes and have lived around them many times during my life. Snake bites are rare and deaths for the same are more rare than lightning strikes.

Last edited:

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
This picture is from a couple months ago. There were two. They are harmless garter snakes.

image-287609477.jpg

Gary

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes a few times, not too often unless i am field hunting.

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the ticks, poison ivy and possibility of snakes here in North Carolina, I avoid searching in the woods in the summer.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No snakes while MDing because of how slow I move. I've seen plenty walking to and from sites. If you have poisonous snakes in your area-just watch stepping over logs and rocks or walking quickly through brush and tall grass.
30 yrs of MDing for me-never was close enough to get bit-even once while MDing.

OP
OP
hallows89

hallows89

Greenie
Feb 23, 2013
Thanks to all for their answers and advise.hopefully i will be as lucky as you all and never encounter one.I'm going to move slower and louder that's for sure

I always go deeper

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just dont be picking up logs or going into thick brush where snakes will be laying and waiting for pray... I must have seen 100s of snakes when out MDing and they will all get away from you though one time I did have a water moccasin come @ me once and i was able to act real quick and got my MDer and fling it high into the air and then ran like hell ...

OP
OP
hallows89

hallows89

Greenie
Feb 23, 2013
Lmao that's a funny image.so far the only ones iv came across where all during creek hunts.I'll be digging a signal look over and have one starring back at me close enough to touch lol.never stayed around long enough to see what kind.i tell myself non pois.to make myself feel better.

I always go deeper

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't run across any while detecting, but I have a few times while running my sluice and MANY MaNY times while fishing. Some of my friends wear Gators (protecting leggings) they're nice but expensive.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hope I never surprise a deadly snake as I wear shorts and usually flip flops from spring to fall regardless of weather. Luckily up here in Maine we are mostly snake free....

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On July 17th, 2007, I was helicoptered off of local mountain due to a rattlesnake bite.

It involved biting through my cowoby boot, then a 1 hour free climb up a canyon wall followed by climbing a tree to be able to cotact dispatch via a ham radio. I gave them GPS coordinates and landed my own rescue helicopter LOL.

I run into snakes a LOT. They are everywhere here. Just don't stick your hands/feet where you aren't 100% sure there isn't something alive.

WM

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to just keep your eyes open and know what snakes in your area are venomous. I have come upon timber rattlers and copper heads while out hunting. The rattlers do not bother me as much as the copperheads cause they blend in so well and attack fast. The rattler likes to get all coiled and set up most times. I always wear a decent boot in the woods. I never want to kill a snake. But knowing that their head is almost like an egg shell is good to know.
I agree the yellow jackets can nail you as you sweep past them and do not see them then they come out of the hole all over you. They have made me pretty sick with the stings but I carry Benadryl in my pack. Just be safe and pay attention.
I keep snake chaps in my truck but am guilty of not wearing them often.
You may not be as lucky as Wyomingmedic. My friend lost 3 fingers from a copper head bite. Took to long to get back out and it swelled really fast.
Just be safe not scared.:thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread