Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By kuger
  • 1 Post By GoldenEagle

Thread: On May 1867 The Steam Boat Julia sank in the Minnesota River , Now What?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    menElayers

Nov 2011
    Minnesota
    GTAX 550
    13 times
    Metal Detecting

On May 1867 The Steam Boat Julia sank in the Minnesota River , Now What?

Currently I need any help looking for the Hull of the Julia . This steam boat that hit a snag and went down in 1867. I have some Ideas, but I cant decide if its worth all the time and energy to search for it. The odds are in good favor that this is one of 6 possible steamboats on the River bottom. The silt runoff from the farms and flooding has buried it. I was thinking the AT pro could find this and I could place it with the historical society. Any Ideas if its in the inner part of or outer part of the river about 2 miles down from Mankato.
    Here is a link .
    Annual Statement of the Trade and Commerce of St. Louis - Google Books once at link you can click on the page and it will show all the steamboat disasters of the page.

This Steamer was labeled a total loss but no records about it being pulled out of the River bottom are found.
    HH
    metal Detecting is a lot like friendships:

They both can be shallow or deep
    It takes practice to get it right
    Rarely give up on it, dust it off and try again
    Not taken it too seriously
    Willing to Try new things
    Always Have Fun-
    Golden Eagle

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2630 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I think you need to read Treasure in a Corn field,the story about Greg Hawley's tribulations of finding and excavating the Steamboat Arabia,then you be the judge

doubtful any detector will do you any good either.....
    Bum Luck and Frankn like this.
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

us
    menElayers

Nov 2011
    Minnesota
    GTAX 550
    13 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ok, I'll read it, first. Its really intriguing knowing it could be down there. Does he find it a corn field?
    kuger likes this.

Always Have Fun-
    Golden Eagle

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2630 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    ...ya gotta read it.....fantastic read!!!Then go to their museum
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

us
    Feb 2010
    73 times
    Quite a story.
    Steamboat Arabia Museum

Mar 2011
    99 times
    A few months after WWII some members of a U-boat crew were picked up in the city of New Orleans. After a PBY aircraft depth charged and damaged the sub in the Gulf of Mexico, they scuttled (sank) the boat in the Pearl River and walked along the RR tracks into town. People have been looking for that sub for 70 years. It is rumored to have been carrying Nazi gold to South America. Problem is, dozens of sunk barges used in the timber industry also lie on the bottom of the Pearl River.

us
    Tanner

Jan 2013
    Minnesota
    31 times
    I live a few blocks from the minnesota river!

us
    Casey

Feb 2013
    Faribault County, Minnesota
    Garret AT Pro
    6 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
    Currently I need any help looking for the Hull of the Julia . This steam boat that hit a snag and went down in 1867. I have some Ideas, but I cant decide if its worth all the time and energy to search for it. The odds are in good favor that this is one of 6 possible steamboats on the River bottom. The silt runoff from the farms and flooding has buried it. I was thinking the AT pro could find this and I could place it with the historical society. Any Ideas if its in the inner part of or outer part of the river about 2 miles down from Mankato.
    Here is a link .
    Annual Statement of the Trade and Commerce of St. Louis - Google Books once at link you can click on the page and it will show all the steamboat disasters of the page.

This Steamer was labeled a total loss but no records about it being pulled out of the River bottom are found.
    HH
    I think I read somewhere that a bell was recovered and is either at the library or Blue Earth County Historical Society or the courthouse. I could be completely wrong but I am not sure. It sounds really familiar. It seems to me that I read that a bell was recovered from a sunken steamboat on the Minnesota River near Mankato. I am sure you have checked this out but there was an article that mentioned it was two miles northeast of Mankato. I also have a book that covers the history of steam boats on the Minnesota River if you are interested.

Couple to scour Minnesota River for steamboat wrecks Local News The Free Press, Mankato, MN
    A box without hinges, key, or lid, yet golden treasure inside is hid. - J. R. R. Tolkien

us
    Casey

Feb 2013
    Garret AT Pro
    6 times
    Metal Detecting
    It is also listed in the History of Blue Earth County. It says that the hull is still there but the rest of the ship was dismantled and that most all of the cargo was salvaged. Still defiantly worth looking into.
    A box without hinges, key, or lid, yet golden treasure inside is hid. - J. R. R. Tolkien

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    520 times
    I think that river floods massively, if I recall correctly.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Casey

Feb 2013
    Garret AT Pro
    6 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yes, the Minnesota River is prone to flooding in the Spring. That probably doesn't help the search very much but is still pretty interesting.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    520 times
    My recollection is that by Shakopee it's gone up what seems like 40 feet or more. That's a LOT of water, and fast.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    menElayers

Nov 2011
    Minnesota
    GTAX 550
    13 times
    Metal Detecting
    I read the "Treasure in a Corn field" interesting read. They made it sound so easy until the costs piled up. If we had a team that could get out there and search on a weekend. plus, After we find it, the question is, Now what do we do?

Always Have Fun-
    Golden Eagle

us
    Apr 2010
    Twin Cities, MN
    AT Pro
    13 times
    I read the "Treasure in a Corn field" interesting read. They made it sound so easy until the costs piled up. If we had a team that could get out there and search on a weekend. plus, After we find it, the question is, Now what do we do?
    The authorities would probably make you turn it over to an archeological society or University. Since it probably is protected by the MN laws that govern shipwrecks. Seems kind of weird, but they are on the books. Mainly for Lake Superior and Mississippi River wrecks, but apply to all inland lakes and rivers.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." ~Winston Churchill

us
    Mar 2013
    NW Georgia
    2 times
    Thanks uglymailman, I just took a look at the website and video about the Arabia that you posted. What an interesting story and the effort Hawley's put into it's recovery are remarkable. I would love to visit the museum if I am ever in that area. A truly amazing story!

us
    menElayers

Nov 2011
    Minnesota
    GTAX 550
    13 times
    Metal Detecting
    I checked the MN river sediment patterns Julia could be buried 6 to 8 feet deep. Not worth only part of the steamer. The whole would be a different story.

Always Have Fun-
    Golden Eagle

us
    Apr 2010
    Twin Cities, MN
    AT Pro
    13 times
    I checked the MN river sediment patterns Julia could be buried 6 to 8 feet deep. Not worth only part of the steamer. The whole would be a different story.
    Where did you find sediment reports? I would be interested in a report on the Cannon River if you have it or can shoot me a link?
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." ~Winston Churchill

Apr 2014
    The Julia did sink in 1867. Much of the farming machinery and personal effects on the boat were recovered that year, and – as was mentioned in other replies, so was the bell. The personal effects and the bell are, in fact, housed at the Blue Earth County historical museum. In the early 1950s a fisherman was fishing at the north end of the area that is now Riverfront park and hooked the keel of the Julia and hauled it onto shore. There may be some additional personal effects in the river, but most of what it had on board was salvaged right away.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors