searching your own property ANYONE DONE THIS?

smartfox

Dec 18, 2006
Someone posted on this before with good findings. I believe this person had a few acres. I live in a home that was built in the 70's I think and there have been 2 owners before us. The yards front and back are small with grass and was doing some reading on how to properly tear the grass without ruining it. There are also bits of dirt. I do have a few questions. 1) Do you think I will find something of value? at least some wheats, indianheads, or buffalo nickels? 2) How do I go about discriminating or avoiding underground pipes and things like that? its funny because i was thinking about doing this before and my wife just suggested it to me. Today would be a good day to start this since it is raining on and off and there is nowhere to go. NO MATTER WHAT IT WILL BE A FUN PROJECT. ANY INFO ON THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Never know what you will find until you dig it up ;D

I did my parents place for a little bit on Dec 24 befor the family got there. The house was built in the 70's, but most of the coins I found dated back to the 50-60. Must have been droped by the workers building the house ???

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Definately detect your own property. It will give you practice on properly cutting a plug to retrieve a target. Only person that can get mad at you for messed up lawn is YOU. You will get a better understanding of your machine.
Like the stormtrooper said, you will never know what you can find until you dig it up. After you feel you have sufficiently checked your property, try taking a walk down your street. If you have sidewalks check the grass strips between the sidewalks and road. Anywhere there is dirt that you have access to give it a try to see what you can find. If you are worried about powerlines and pipes underground on your property, either try and determine where the are coming from the road and under the ground. Just find your gas or water meter on the outside of the house and follow that point towards the road. Most times it shoudl be in a straight line. WOrse comes to worse call your utility company and tell them you will be digging for a landscaping project and you want to know where the buried pipes are. They should come and tell you where they are and how they run. This should be a free service.

ANyway, good luck on your searches and keep us posted on your finds.

HH

Funkman

OP
OP
S

smartfox

Dec 18, 2006
cool thanks. BTW I have a whites dfx. going to give it a try today for a while since it is a bit rainy. I will keep you posted.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We just bought a MD over the holiday and we were out in the yard using it today. We found a lot of junk and one penny. As somebody said its great practice for doing it elsewhere. I'm getting to where I can visualize where the item is from where the signals intersect, when doing an X pattern, and then dig a good plug and pull up the item. I really don't expect to find much at our place because it was a farmer's field (cotton) up until about 18 or 19 years ago. I have scouted out a number of other places that should be great, but I'm making sure we get good at in our yard first. Won't be long though. Wahooo!!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
theres no telling what you will find! all i can guarantee is that you will be amazed at whats in that yard!

A

absalon

I started out by detecting my own yard. House was built in the late 50's. Didn't find any silver, but did find a 1939 British penny. Found it about 3 inches from my asphalt drive and about an inch and a half down on a side slope.

You never now what you will come up with. Again, as others have mentioned, this is the best place to practice.

Best of luck

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
You may as well clean up your own yard first!!! My be finds so far have come from my yard. As others have said its a great place to learn and practice. I still hunt my yard and still find things. No place is ever hunted out!!!!
Greg

OP
OP
S

smartfox

Dec 18, 2006
thank you so much for all your reaponses. I dod the front yard for a little while and found 1 pennie and junk. eventhough I do not find anything of value I am getting rid of all the nails and things like that that can one day hurt my children when they are out playing.

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Full Time RVer based in TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your own yard is a great place to start, I think a lot of TH's start their MD at home.
And you can go over it time and again and still find targets.
It's also great for testing your detector plus trying or changing various settings on your DFX.
When I read about a 'tweak' for extra depth etc I use my yard to try it out and make adjustments.
I have been over mine several times and everytime I find something, whether it's a few pennies or an old toy etc.
So far I have found about $5 in clad, an 1876 buckle, metal toys etc.....
Also if you get the 'urge' to MD and don't have a lot of time or the weather is not so good, it's a great place to get a quick MDing 'fix'.

Paul

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1) Do you think I will find something of value? at least some wheats, indianheads, or buffalo nickels?
2) How do I go about discriminating or avoiding underground pipes and things like that?

1) Take that thing out and start digging!
2)That should be a minor problem they are usally dug down DEEP. or digging 'em up and place 'em else where. :D(at least here in sweden)

I have acctually dug in my garden just not everywhere, my mother would kill me if I would.. :o

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have done this since July.
I have scanned my yard many times over and I still do. My first five silvers (SLQ no date, 43 Merc, 42 and 43 War Nickle, 61 Rosie...in that order) came from my yard. I have hunted several different parks many times. These parks were acquired by the city prior to 1960. Nada from them. Zip. Zilch. All silver was found at night even though I scanned the yard in the daytime as well. My next one came Dec 30th '06. It was a 1918 Merc with a 1920 wheat near it. I have a silver "M" charm and one silver bangle. All 8 pieces I have found since November. I think that is right.

My house was built in 1950. The SLQ would have been 1918-1925. 25 years older than my house. Point is you never know what you will find. Keep searching and eventually you will find one. GL

Laater...

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I practiced in my own yard for six months! :P Got lots and lots of bullets and horseshoes!!! :D But....knew how to properly dig a hole when I did decide to leave my mountain! ;D Good luck to ya!

Nana :)

gmu4me

Jan 15, 2006
Culpeper, Va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
DO IT!!! I found a Union Sword Belt Plate and a CS Tongue Buckle in my back and side yards... Granted, I live deep in CW country where there was occupation by both sides.. I also hunted my parents back yard an found lots of clad and an old lead soldier.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our own property is usually the first place a novice will detect. I know I did. I found a lot of my 33 year old son's old soap box cars and he remembered every one! It's fun even if you don't discover treasure. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread