Question for all the gold panners, prospectors +everyone else! Could this be true?

THR214

Feb 18, 2013
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question for all the gold panner's, prospector's +everyone else! Could this be true?

O.k, I was searching around last night and came across this site where they were talking about "Gold Magnet's" I was always under the impression that gold will not be attracted to any sort of magnet. BUT... There was a member who stated this: (I copied and pasted this, as this is HIS exact words)
For getting the gold out of the pan, you will need these types of magnets, I have been doing this for over 10 years and it works perfect.:
- REGULAR --WHICH HOLDS YOUR NOTES ON THE FRIDGE MADE OF BLACK MAGNETITE
- NEODYMIUM N37 FOR CATCHING 50% GOLD 50% IRON SANDS, AND
- NEODYMIUM 38EH TO ATTRACT GOLD AT THE END, WHEN THERE ONLY CRYSTALS AND GOLD LEFT

Now, can this actually work? I just can't see it, as everyone who deals with a pan, would be using it and save alot of time trying to get the last bit of gold from the sand.
I know recently from after buying (wasting my money..lol) from Ebay buying paydirt and trying to get the tiny little microscopic pieces at the bottom of the pan, that after wasting hours and a jewelrs loop to actually find it, I just end up tossing the black sand on the ground realizing I just wasted 4 hours for 3 "sparkles" which are worth, maybe, a whole .10 cents..lol If the magnets are real and do work...SIGN ME UP!!!..lol I will take a set, if I can find them!!
So if they are the real thing, and do work, where can we buy them, other than Japan or China and ordering 100 at a time..lol.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is not magnetic,so thats fooey,if that is what they are claiming.I use a Rare Earth Magnet to remove Magnetite(small gold can get caught up in this if there is a clump)which makes up black sand(either Magnetite or Hemitite)Magnets have a place but they dont attract gold

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
No magnet is going to help you seperate gold from anything magnetic, especially black sand. When the magnet forcfully draws the black sand towards it, the gold is invariably trapped against the magnet right along with the black sand. Nothing is seperated by this action. As long as the magnet remains, you can shake the sand all you want, and not one particle of gold is going to fall away. It can't. It's trapped. Held tightly in place. Magnet devices are the "Snake Oil" equivalent of modern day prospecting. It's a gimmick that doesn't work.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I can only think of one (theoretical) scenario where a magnet might be used, but it would incorporate centerfugal force being applied at the same time. If an upright drum was filled with water and spun slowly, the heavier material would be pulled towards the sides of the drum. But imagine a powerful magnetic cylinder was sitting in the center of the drum, while it was spinning. If the magnetic force was strong enough to overcome the ceterfugal force, (and that would be tricky).. That would theoretically seperate the magnetic and non magnetic materials. Of course the black sand would have to be fed in very slowly and the magnetic cylinder removed and cleaned periodically, making the whole process extremely tedious (If it worked at all). Hey ! Maybe i got a future in the Snake Oil business afterall.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's how it works. I have an orange plastic device that contains a magnet and plunger to raise magnet. I insert it in the pan and it pickes up the black magnetic sand and some gold gets trapped in the sand. I then shake the gold loose, move the device to the side and release the sand outside the pan. This is repeated untill all sand is removed. The pan which now contains gold and light dirt is then worked in the usual manner. THE MAGNET DOES NOT ATTRACT GOLD! MAGNETS ONLY ATTRACT IRON. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only think of one (theoretical) scenario where a magnet might be used, but it would incorporate centerfugal force being applied at the same time. If an upright drum was filled with water and spun slowly, the heavier material would be pulled towards the sides of the drum. But imagine a powerful magnetic cylinder was sitting in the center of the drum, while it was spinning. If the magnetic force was strong enough to overcome the ceterfugal force, (and that would be tricky).. That would theoretically seperate the magnetic and non magnetic materials. Of course the black sand would have to be fed in very slowly and the magnetic cylinder removed and cleaned periodically, making the whole process extremely tedious (If it worked at all). Hey ! Maybe i got a future in the Snake Oil business afterall.

Well my friend......your wrong.I happen to mine as a business,and not as a hobby,and have been using magnets to remove magnetite for 30+ years.I dont know where your getting your info,but you have been mis-informed

I also use a magnet on my cleanup sluice.It is about 1" above the first riffle,the black sand will jump up to it so the rest of the riffles dont get clogged with it,allowing them to retain more of the gold

Last edited:

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
at a hard rock mill in republic washington, they a had a big jaw crusher that feed the ball mill, from the ball mill the crushed rock went to a wiffley table. the middle cut was put in a pile to dry with heat lamps. after dry the heavey black sand and gold would go over a belt. the front roller was magnetic and was hand cranked. it would put the cons in 2 separate piles. it did a good job and was pretty fast. this mill was many years old and so was the technology. as far as a gold magnet goes. i have never seen one that works in the way a magnet works on iron. i did see i study that used super magnets to try and pick up gold. they used 2 plastic slides over the magnets. sent the gold down the slides the slide without the magnets would always come in 1st. the conclusion was that there was a minimal effect on the gold, but it did slow it down.

bill/cr

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

THR214

Feb 18, 2013
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the input, I had a feeling it was a bunch of B.S. I normally tested gold jewelry with a magnet to see if it was fake, not to attract it. But I just thought there was maybe some sort of rare magnet that may just be possible to grab the gold after I saw that post.
Thanks all!!
Happy Hunting!!

wa-au-nut

Dec 1, 2012
Marysville,Wa.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bill they are still using that mill to prosess the ore from the Buckhorn mine. They built a haul road up the east side of the mountain so they could get the goodies down to the mill instead of builing a mill closer. About got ran over while hunting couple years ago.LOL

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
You can use an eddy current to repel gold but not attract it. It works on non ferrous metals. But I do not know for sure how small of particles they will work on.
The only way a magnet would attract gold is if there is enough ferrous metal or maybe nickle alloyed with it.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
The most ingenious way i saw to seperate black sand from gold involved a variable speed Wet-Vac with a clear plastic tube attached to it with duct tape. The tube was bent into a series of four loops about 18 inches in diameter. When the Wet-Vac was adjusted properly, the black sand travelled over the top of the loops and the gold slid back down and stayed on the bottom of each loop. The Black sand had been dried previously, so no water was involved and no magnets. No mess, no clean up, (except for disconnecting the tube and pouring the gold particles out the tube into a container). Just out of curiosity, i test panned the black sand left in the Wet-Vac. Didn't find ANY gold. Not even a particle of fine gold. I suppose any variable speed vacuum would do the trick. Don't know why the guy was using a Wet-Vac. Didn't ask him that. Maybe it's just what he had on hand for a vacuum.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bill they are still using that mill to process the ore from the Buckhorn mine. They
built a haul road up the east side of the mountain so they could get the goodies down to the mill instead of building
a mill closer. About got ran over while hunting couple years ago.LOL

I'm always watching to see if the area I'm heading into (locally) has got active logging going on, or not.
If they are logging and using the main road as an outbound haul-road, I'm staying the hell off it.
There's nothing that can raise ones blood pressure faster than looking in the rear-view mirror (on a steep
downgrade) and seeing an 80,000LB.Peterbuilt close enough to shake hands with, you've got nowhere to go,
and the truck is gaining..:o

Guess we can add ore trucks to the list, too; good thing you were able to get out of the way!

wa-au-nut

Dec 1, 2012
Marysville,Wa.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The N.F. road crosses the haul road in a few places, one spot you have to get on the haul rd. for a short distance. I was Deer hunting. Note to self DON'T ROAD HUNT ON A HAUL ROAD!!:tongue3:I was lookin for Deers man:laughing7:

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
I have not been to republic for 15 years, I used to live there in the 70’s and 80’s . the mill I am talking about was out by curlew lake. this was a old mill, it started life as a sheelite mill. one of the giddings boys had a hole that he was working and milling his gold ore there. I am suffering from CRS and cannot remember the name of the mine or the area it is in. just remember the mill its self. I did some dredging in the area and worked at a open silver mine, open pit gold mine and underground gold mine , that was a lot of years ago. I will ask a friend who still lives there for names and places and see if we are talking about the same mill.

bill/cr
Bill they are still using that mill to prosess the ore from the Buckhorn mine. They built a haul road up the east side of the mountain so they could get the goodies down to the mill instead of builing a mill closer. About got ran over while hunting couple years ago.LOL

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
well... the mill site i was talking about is gone. the tailings pond turned into a fish pond in the back of somebodies house. kinross, they also bought the echobay mill and are running that, proably where the buckhorn ore is going. the tailings pond at kinross is about a 1/2 mile long..... a big one !!! the old mill i was talking about at most 50 ton a day.it was called cooks point

bill/cr

Last edited:

wa-au-nut

Dec 1, 2012
Marysville,Wa.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup thats where the ore from Buckhorn goes, if I remember right(I to have CRS) I think Buckhorn is Kinross.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread