Garrett Guys

Z

ztzzt

I am using the Ace 250 and have been fairly satisfied with it but..............the majority of my hunting is around the local lake and you all know the trash I am dealing with if you have ever hunted an old lake. I can't count the beer cans I've dug that are vertically smashed flat and give a perfect dime signal. These usually show a small profile when pinpointing such as a coin would. Finally to the question.......Will the GTI units save me some digging with the profiling feature? What a dummy, my wife told me to spend the money on the best one when I got the 250. Don't misunderstand, the 250 works great but I didn't think I would need the other features but am thinking some of the features of the other units would come in very handy.

Thanks

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Your story sounds familiar-- when deciding what to upgrade from
a BH3300, My wife suggested going to top of the line. That made the
decision easier-- DFX or 2500-- an Explorer II was higher priced than
I could justify. I bought the 2500 as a package deal, bag,coils,etc--
still above budget but- oh well!!
Anyway-- I like the imaging feature. Use it all the time.At first I did
not dig certain image sizes-- dug all "B & C" if tone and ID were within
certain criteria- coin-shooting mostly. Eventually changed tactics and
started digging more and cutting disc down. Have had more success
doing this.Imaging is a double-edged sword. You will not dig as much trash
following the imaging,but might miss some valuable relics or even coin pocket
dumps!!
Lately in less trashy areas have been using All-Metal mode and imaging to
decide about digging. Course in your lake situation, this would not work as
well, but plowed fields and less trashy woods is OK.
Also remember this-- some claim imaging is only accurate to about 6 inches.
I have found it accurate to 8 inches for up to coin sized objects and deeper
for bigger objects.
The 1500 and 2500 series also have other features- many I've barely used
but I think will be valuable depending on the site and conditions!
Good luck with your decision!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i think you would probably like the size feature on the GTIs, if you are sick of digging cans. it will help in that department for sure! i rarely dig cans anymore. blackjack is right though by saying that you cant always trust it, but when it comes to detectors, when can you trust an icon on a display to be %100 accurate? even if it isnt perfect it is still a very cool feature and a useful tool.

Willy

Being able to hunt in non-motion TID with sizing is an awesome feature to have in extremely dense trash. Sure, that stock coil is too big (DO YOU HEAR ME GARRETT?!?!) but you can lift it 4-5" and still get good depth.. with a much narrower field of detection. I have an X-100 Challenger that has both a non-motion AM ID and TR Disc. w. ID (non-motion) and it's unbelievable in dense trash. I don't care how slow motion a detector's disc. and how fast the recovery speed is, it can't compre to NON-motion for sorting out trash. There is absolutely NO masking due to target reset times. Yup, can get noisy, but well worth it. ..Willy.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
How to detect aluminum cans. 1- Get a high coin signal. 2 - loud target response. 3-pinpoints larger than a coin. 4- detuned pinpoint is larger than coin. 5-hold coil on the ground right over the target, don't move the coil. If you get a bunch of beeping - probably can. 6- raise coil above ground 12 inches and sweep. If you get a beep it's probably a can. This is not just for Garrett machines.

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350
I really like the profiling feature on the 1350,and it works on all it's coils.Makes it alot quicker to decide to dig or not......rh

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'm not sure if you have a 250 khouse, but all those are definately in the 250's criteria for something not a coin.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a GTI 2500 and I can usually tell if it's a can, especially if it's on its side.. A lot of the time it will put out the overload signal. If you are coin shooting the size relationship feature is a great help. You don't know how much you depend on it until you use a detector that don't have it. I can usually recognize a can with my ACE 250 also by pinpointing and figuring out the relative size. I don't know if that is all the machine or me being almost as smart as the machine with experience ? I said almost, but if you're wrong and don't dig it you won't know anyway! What fools my Garrett detectors more than anything is old rusted iron. That junk comes in as a dollar size silver coin because of the halo effect, but I always dig them because I once I found a really great token the size of a dollar with that same signal. Some of the places I have tried to hunt are so full of junk that if you dug every signal you would spend all day in a six foot X two foot area. That's when the 5" coil come in handy, but it won't give you the size of the target, just better separation of the targets. But with it, it is a lot easier to work the edges of a large target and figure out whether to dig or not. Get it? I'm not sure I do? Monty

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also have the GTI 2500 but it is not alway right..(to bad :P)
It's a good allround detector with electronic prospecting also possible..
When you start as a newbie you should dig every signal, that way you'll learn your detector better. At least I did.
When hunting in "Zero" mode you can/will experience truble with hot rocks, at least I do that at my home..

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eu citizen, try using it in the true all metal mode instead of the zero mode on the discrimination menu. It is different somehow and I think it will go just a little bit deeper in the all metal mode. Or maybe it's just my imagination? Anyway, try it and see if you can tell the difference. You can also adjust your swing speed in the true all metal mode. Monty

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Monty I know, it's diffrent because it will then (in true all metal) notice minerals/oxides etc, usefull when electronic prospecting. :)
I have treid it, but no use in my area, to much minerals..I can't tell a diffrence because of the minerals, the detector goes nuts!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the GTI 1500 and like the imaging. True it isn't 100% but for coin size targets it saves a lot of wasted time. I wish somebody would add a true TR mode back into the detectors for zero motion with disc. In trashy areas even the slow motion sweep speeds are not slow enough.

I always think it is best to get the best detector you can't afford and grow into it. Buy the cheapest peanut butter you can and the kids will move out faster..... ::)

Willy

That's one of the things I like about my X-100 Challaenger.. the TR mode with ID. It can't be beat for picking through dense trash. One other thing I noticed about the X-100 is that in 4 filter mode with multitone on, it sounds almost exactly like a Minelab Sov. ...Hmmm. ..Willy.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2500 does have a no motion setting, but my mind isn't working this early in the AM an I am not sure what you mean by TM? True all Metal? Monty

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
True all metal is when you detect every piece of metal even ground minerals..

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the 2500 it is audible but I don't think it responds to ground minerals that aren't solid metals except maybe some heavy deposit of rust from the halo effect? And it is outside and seperate from the discriminate modes. Just trying to keep up with the conversation. Monty

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, at least mine picks up ground minerals.(in true all-metal mode)
Sure it will probably also give an sound on a halo.(= deep or old targets?)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread