Advice on sand/water scoop please?

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I'm in the market for a scoop and I wanted to get the right one for the following applications :

1. I live on a fresh water lake which is lowered each fall. Will be hunting mostly shorelines which have a semi rocky/sand bottom
2. There are many shallow, moderately moving streams which I want to walk right in the streams
3. Fresh water beaches which are definitely not like the fine sand on many seashores
4. Last but not least I want to hunt ocean beaches and shallow waters there while on vacation

I'm assuming I need stainless for the strength needed and a long handle would help as well?

The one site that seems to have the best selection is Reilly's Treasured Gold. I'd like to spend no more than $150......all suggestions are appreciated......:laughing7:

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like my Sunspot Stealth scoop. Stainless and comes in 2 widths, 6.5 and 8 inches. Also a new model called the 720. It costs a pinch more but worth every cent!

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend a long handle scoop if you're working beaches. Constantly bending over can get you a nice pain in the back or wear your legs out constantly squating.
A feature you want to make sure of, is that the handle is well supported and strengthened by design. This is an example of the strengthening I'm focused one.

Scoop.gif

I have no idea what brand this is, I'm simply showing the design for adding strength to the long handled scoops.

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like my Sunspot Stealth scoop. Stainless and comes in 2 widths, 6.5 and 8 inches. Also a new model called the 720. It costs a pinch more but worth every cent!

Thanks Jim, I'll check them out...............

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend a long handle scoop if you're working beaches. Constantly bending over can get you a nice pain in the back or wear your legs out constantly squating.
A feature you want to make sure of, is that the handle is well supported and strengthened by design. This is an example of the strengthening I'm focused one.

I have no idea what brand this is, I'm simply showing the design for adding strength to the long handled scoops.

View attachment 757408 Thanks Coldshuz, thats pretty much the style I've been looking at. The only doubt I have is about the strength of the sifting basket at the end of the scoop. Are they strong enough to hold up when pushing on them with your foot? The ones with the solid back seem stronger? And am I right to only be considering stainless over aluminum?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used many scoops one the east coast and in fresh water and have settled on the Sunspot Stealth as the best of the bunch.Stealth beach scoop You will buy it once and use it for life.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fast Ed, I get all my equipment from Reilly's. They made both my scoops. One is a longhandle lightweight sand only scoop.
The other is the long handle heavy duty ocean scoop. The basket doesn't have the screen (like the one coldshuz pictured), it's got the holes in the basket. I think it's the 149.00 one. If you are going to be in streams and creeks, you going to be running in to some rocks, no doubt. I would recco the heavy duty one, if you don't mind the weight of it. I drag mine all over the beach behind me. (I can't get their pics to come up for some reason or I'd post the pic).

Once I forgot my ocean scoop and had to use my sand scoop. I bent and cracked it all up plowing up the ocean/shells/coral. They re-welded it for me, no problem. Mr. Kevin (RIP) was always good to me, as well as Lorraine and Joe, so I may be a little biased towards them. :laughing7:

eta: i just saw sandmans scoop pic. I'm not crazy about the wood handles. I prefer the all metal. I can't see me ever needing another water scoop either, unless I lay it down and run over it with the car.
laughing7.gif
And, I've read where fellas do that, too.
I always lay me scoop and detector beside the car, NOT behind it.
laughing7.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fast Ed, I get all my equipment from Reilly's. They made both my scoops. One is a longhandle lightweight sand only scoop.
The other is the long handle heavy duty ocean scoop. The basket doesn't have the screen (like the one coldshuz pictured), it's got the holes in the basket. I think it's the 149.00 one. If you are going to be in streams and creeks, you going to be running in to some rocks, no doubt. I would recco the heavy duty one, if you don't mind the weight of it. I drag mine all over the beach behind me. (I can't get their pics to come up for some reason or I'd post the pic).

Once I forgot my ocean scoop and had to use my sand scoop. I bent and cracked it all up plowing up the ocean/shells/coral. They re-welded it for me, no problem. Mr. Kevin (RIP) was always good to me, as well as Lorraine and Joe, so I may be a little biased towards them. :laughing7:

eta: i just saw sandmans scoop pic. I'm not crazy about the wood handles. I prefer the all metal. I can't see me ever needing another water scoop either, unless I lay it down and run over it with the car.
laughing7.gif
And, I've read where fellas do that, too.
I always lay me scoop and detector beside the car, NOT behind it.
laughing7.gif

He he, some great advice there Pat. Note to Fast Ed, equipment next to not behind vehicle :)

But seriously, I am leaning towards the scoop you are describing. Thanks a ton!

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used many scoops one the east coast and in fresh water and have settled on the Sunspot Stealth as the best of the bunch.Stealth beach scoop You will buy it once and use it for life.
Thanks Sandman, I may be sorry but I'm probably going with Pat's advice on this. The Stealth looks all world but probably overkill for my use and besides Pat is cuter than you :)

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fast Ed, I gotta be honest enough to say, the more I look at sandmans scoop, I do like the way the basket is designed. I just can't get around the wood handle part. The basket design does seem like it would have good application for what you'll be using it for. Would be nice if they had it welded in one peice, but then again, you can break theirs down and travel with it. Unless you cut Reillys' scoop in half and rebolt it, it's not gonna fly to well.
Food for thought.

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pat, I do like the pointed leading edge which would work really well in our streams etc....Oh geeeesch, too many choices. I'll be flippin a coin I guess :)

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed , i would think with rocky lake soil a scoop on a stick would be hard to work,, i have never used on so i can not say for sure , but i saw a really nice home made hand scoop on here like 6 months ago , i tried to find it for you but i am having no luck so i will try to describe it for you.

it was 4 inch PVC looked about 16 inches long with 1 end tapered to a point like a shovel , the sides were cut out in large rectangle shapes and had stainless steel wire on the insides with SS bolts holding the wire in place . he used a old concrete float handle on the top. it looked really sturdy and easy to carry... wish i could find the post .. sorry .

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed , i would think with rocky lake soil a scoop on a stick would be hard to work,, i have never used on so i can not say for sure , but i saw a really nice home made hand scoop on here like 6 months ago , i tried to find it for you but i am having no luck so i will try to describe it for you.

it was 4 inch PVC looked about 16 inches long with 1 end tapered to a point like a shovel , the sides were cut out in large rectangle shapes and had stainless steel wire on the insides with SS bolts holding the wire in place . he used a old concrete float handle on the top. it looked really sturdy and easy to carry... wish i could find the post .. sorry .

No problem mical66, I'm not really too handy so I pay through the nose for stuff many find easy to manufacture on their own....

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since it looks like they may be a tie, let's forget my standard coin flip method and go with the following.

1- If you like the basket design on the one with the wooden handle, buy it
2- Now you want a metal handle :dontknow: No problem
3- Go to Home Depot, Lowes etc, and buy a mop with a metal shaft
4- Take said metal shaft off mop, and replace the wooden handle :headbang:

There, now everyone's happy :laughing7:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a hint for you about the plastic handles on metal scoops. A few have fine ridges on the rubber, which I have found to create blisters on your hands pretty quick. But bicycle handles, which are smooth and nicely padded, are a perfect fit and much more comfortable. Takes a bit of tugging to get the old ones off, but if you powder the new they'll slip on easily.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone seen a scoop Wooden handle Aprox 5 ft stainless scoop Guy has 3 of them 100$ for all 3 all new. What do think. One is very heavy duty

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my friends, after a few sleepless nights (jk) I've decided to get the 720i Stealth. Read a lot of reviews, listened to many experienced beach/shallow water hunters like Sandman and Lanlord Jim as well as Patsy and for the type of lakes/streams we have in the Northeast the 720i is the best suited. Lifetime guarantee, great design etc. made this purchase pretty easy actually. I can wait for the scoop as we are getting another foot or so of the white crap tonight.....Thanks everyone for your advice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread