I never get permission for fair grounds. Its county ground. Just hunt it

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Where I'm at, the situation is like dholland says: they are county owned. However, there is "odd arrangements" where there's a committee or foundation or board or something, that administers it. And perhaps something wierd like "leases it from the county for $1 p/year", etc.... And also, there might be fences around them. But go figure, this isn't necessarily because the public can't be there (on the contrary, they WANT the public to be there, and advertise a lot to draw folks for all the activities, haha). The fences are like any stadium or place where entrance fees are collected: so that traffic flows in and out of the collection booth turn-styles, and to minimize people coming in for free, if there were no fence.

I find that even though there are the ominous fences, that there will be times during the week that the gates are opened, in the off-season. Like for when individual buildings are used for AAA meetings, or VFW meeting, or people who go in to tend the animals, etc.... And just because it may be public, and nothing to stop someone from walking around there during the off-season, still keep in mind that there is nothing to stop someone from griping anyhow. (same for parks, school, etc...). So like everywhere, you should pick low traffic times, don't "stick out", don't be in the middle of retrievals when busy-bodies are curiously watching, etc.....

oakhunter27

Mar 25, 2010
ohio
I know you'd probably need permission to hunt them, but is it usually privately owned or openly public to the county? probably not making sense lol, but has anyone ever hunted fairgrounds?

I hunt ours no one says. A word always fills holes in real nice

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What part of Ohio are you in OakHunter? The grounds I'm talking about are in Scioto County.

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hunt the ones in wis and no one says a word, but if you see workers be friendly and if you go often they see how you cover holes and will never bother you... sometimes if there is a coke machine there on a hot day doesn't hurt to buy them a soda..

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have not searched ours yet but keep planing on it . only problem is i can only search the parking areas , the rest is locked behind a chain link fence .....

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting