Fair split of the take?

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watched that metal detecting show on television the other night, and they offered 20% to the landowner, (said to be an industry standard according to them). Didn't see any negotiating either. It was like "take it, or leave it".

It is Television. Most of that is done by show producers before the camera and crew show up. They don't want to waste show time on that. There is NO industry standard as there is no industry to start with. None of these guiys could make a living detecting without the show behind them.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I asked a friend of mine if I could detect her 200 year old back yard. I said I would give her 50% of all valuables. She said ok and also did all the diggin. We both enjoyed it. I liked to watch her dig. She really enjoyed it when she found the target. We pulled over $3000 from that back yard in about 3 hours. Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

OP
OP
I

Idetect

Greenie
Mar 11, 2013
Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Garrett GTAx 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched that metal detecting show on television the other night, and they offered 20% to the landowner, (said to be an industry standard according to them). Didn't see any negotiating either. It was like "take it, or leave it". Think i'd need to have something more than a verbal agreement, or a hand shake before i moved a serious amount of dirt.

Yeah, due to tv. I wonder what the real world scenario might be? And exactly why I want it in writing.

So many different opinions, views, and standards on this....

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, due to tv. I wonder what the real world scenario might be? And exactly why I want it in writing.

So many different opinions, views, and standards on this....

If you start asking homeowners to sign ANYTHING you are going to be talking yourself out of a hunting spot. This is hobby. Keeping it friendly and informal will get you the most permission.

62dold

Jan 13, 2013
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white, bounty hunter, white tresure ray,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a second metal detector i carry with me. It's not very expensive, i ask if they would like to go with me on there land. A lot of people will let you M D just to try out the hobby. It's a free ride into the realm of the treasure hunter------------Boom baby ------------- lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread