gravel pit sand sifting for gold

rayko7

Mar 14, 2013
ONTARIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought i would venture into this topic and see if there was any response from anyone trying this type of sifting.I`m in a region where past glacial movements had come and gone ,north of me say 100 to 500 miles area rich in mineral mines and as it has been said these glacial movements had eroded mineral rich bedrock moving hugh rocks,small stones,and sand particles hundreds of miles south where during the melt they deposited the minerals into gravel rich mounds called either a moraine or drumlins where you can see evidence of the great amounts of sedimentary gravel consisting of all kinds of sizes of rocks to sand in different layers.This is where the gravel pits come into play.Unfortunately some of these moraine areas have come under government protection from any more gravel pits setting up shop but there are other pit areas to play in some even abandoned.My question to someone knowledgable is whether its worth to get sample material and check for fine gold dust in these deposits?Has anyone heard of trying this out? You would think there should be some traces of gold or other minerals found in these kinds of deposits.Anyone?

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sifting

I thought i would venture into this topic and see if there was any response from anyone trying this type of sifting.I`m in a region where past glacial movements had come and gone ,north of me say 100 to 500 miles area rich in mineral mines and as it has been said these glacial movements had eroded mineral rich bedrock moving hugh rocks,small stones,and sand particles hundreds of miles south where during the melt they deposited the minerals into gravel rich mounds called either a moraine or drumlins where you can see evidence of the great amounts of sedimentary gravel consisting of all kinds of sizes of rocks to sand in different layers.This is where the gravel pits come into play.Unfortunately some of these moraine areas have come under government protection from any more gravel pits setting up shop but there are other pit areas to play in some even abandoned.My question to someone knowledgable is whether its worth to get sample material and check for fine gold dust in these deposits?Has anyone heard of trying this out? You would think there should be some traces of gold or other minerals found in these kinds of deposits.Anyone?
I live in Southern Wisconsin,and i have thought about sifting sand,as the sand pits are plentiful here.We have the glacial drumlins here also.I believe most of the gold will be flour form,thus no bigger than the sand granules you want to sift. I'm not an expert by no means,and have only panned a few times.but I read about it a lot,and I think in your situation you may want to try a dry sluicing method?Maybe one that vibrates and settles the gold in the ripples. Good hunting to ya what ever method you use.

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We have a pit here about 90 ft deep has water on it in a area working on it to get permission. Been getting color on the honey creek here. There's a gold show in Sheboygan next weekend.

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a stones throw away ,just in case you might need some help finding those colors.:)

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Yes there is likely gold ,If it has not been recovered. Some gravel plants recover the gold even here in ohio( from glaciers), but only because they are running sand on such a large scale and because it has to be run anyway is it worth it here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread