anyone wanna stop me

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, if I see a pretty distressed property and I find out it's bank owned, once the "for sale" sign goes up I call the Realtor. My own personal experience has been male Realtors dont care. Female Realtors get all uppidity and start squawking about liability exposure, etc. Again, that's just my experience. Otherwise I would stick to asking next time to detect while they still own it and they know they'll be out soon.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, right now i am basking, in the nude, under the warm shower of attention i have received, contemplating the horrors and atrocity i have commited. Awaiting the scarlet T that will surely be placed upon my chest as a sign to others that i have been cast out from the brotherly loving metal detecting community for these unholy acts i have knowingly committed. As i daydream of stealing pencils and other knicknacks from Walmart for yet another cheap thrill, I also remember things i have done for the good of the community, which i did not post in need of attention or a warm pat on the back, or do in expecting something in return. I know that two wrongs make not a right, but do two, three, or even four goods undo a slight wrong? Is the world better off with nothing but no wrongs, or is it better off with just a little wrong, and a whole lotta right.

BRAVO!!!! :hello2:

You've got my nomination for an academy award!

A good actor always knows how his audience will react.

That's why you started this thread!

Looking forward to your next performance!

Cheers,
Dave.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bufaloelectric, my post was not specifically directed to you....just to anyone who cared to comment on it....it wasn't a test.:tongue3:

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Well, I was reading another similar post and came back to this one.

It's pretty simple actually, kinda like me, straw for brains. It's called respect.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Like said pretty simple. You hunt on someone's property without getting permission, then don't complain when someone does it to you. Or if something happens to you.

You ask to hunt my property, most likely I'll tell you yes. But I will also tell you where not to hunt, along with where some good spots may be.
Leave it like you found it and all will be good. Simple and easy. Damage it or litter it and I am not going to be a happy camper, and you won't be coming back.

If I catch you, without permission, I will be letting you know that I'm not a happy Scarecrow, and ask you to move on. After you leave what you found, and correct anything you damaged.
You'll be lucky if it's me.

There are some spots on my land that are watched. Those "Folks" do not take kindly to anyone crossing the property, let alone if they catch em with any type hunting equipment. You'll be leaving your equipment, and your personal info with them. And best of luck getting any of it back.

And that's not a what if, that's a for sure.

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically, get permission (written)..yeah right...never gonna happen...I have a friend who is a real estate broker and he told me that most homes abandoned to "the bank" are in limbo...possibly still in the past owner's name until a comissioner sale is ordered by the court and advertised in the paper (good place to pick up detecting leads, I hear). Or in the legal possession of a "investment" company, who, for pennies on the dollar "bought" some poor guys debt and is now pressing him for a deficiency judgement of the full amount. Eventually it gets appraised (good access if you are the appraiser), then listed with an "out of town" broker, usually many miles away.....
The only people you have to worry about is a neighbor to the property, who may be related to the defaulter....then personal feelings enter into the picture and they may be defensive of the land.
I heard of another guy who drives a truck with a yellow bubble light on top, wears a hard hat and orange vest while detecting these kinds of properties...to each his own...technically, get permission.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BRAVO!!!! :hello2:

You've got my nomination for an academy award!

A good actor always knows how his audience will react.

That's why you started this thread!

Looking forward to your next performance!

Cheers,
Dave.

At least this thread is more entertaining than a "diggers" thread.:laughing9:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I was reading another similar post and came back to this one.

It's pretty simple actually, kinda like me, straw for brains. It's called respect.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".........
............... Well i guess i have been screwed by the bank's enough so now it is my turn to screw them.......... So i am doing unto them what they did unto me...........

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Scenario 1: Mall parking lot. (privately owned) you park your car, get out look down and you spot a dime on the ground. What would you do?
Scenario 2: Same lot this time you spot a $20 bill on the ground. What would you do?
Scenario 3: Same lot this time you spot a 14k gold band on the ground. What would you do?
Scenario 4: Same lot this time you spot a wallet with $200 in it with credit cards and ID. What would you do?
Scenario 5: Same lot this time you spot a set of car keys. What would you do?

And why.

Well, well, interesting situations. At the end of the day, I would have $20.10,a 14Kt gold band and the car keys would still be there. Oh yes, and there would be one very happy, much relieved, owner of a wallet with $200 in it. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg Oh by the way, I have returned a wallet with over $200 in it.

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont recall asking if it was wrong, i dont recall asking that if a yard doesnt have a no trespassing sign that if its ok to hunt then, and i can certainly say that i didnt ask forum members permission to hunt on property that wasnt ever theirs, and i can surely say i did not have every intention of doing it anyways, wanted to hear some opinions first. am i sorry for doing it, no. if walking onto the lawn of a foreclosed property is a criminal act, then yes im a criminal. but i guarantee that none of the people i talked to in that neighborhood today saw me as a criminal.

Say what you want, laugh it up with Tom in Ca to make light of what you did, at the end of the day remember this, you broke the law and not just trespassing you damaged someone's property:occasion14: You had no right to go on the property. Whats worse, you knew it was wrong and did it anyway and for what .87 cents? I would love to hear what your reaction would be if you came home from 2 weeks vacation and somebody was digging up your lawn and they said, "oh sorry dude, didn't see any posted signs, nobody was around so I went for it, my bad.":dontknow: I have to admit, I love hearing all the excuses you guys come up with to legitimize your errant behavior:icon_thumright: Way to represent the hobby and put us in a good light, just the kind of attention we need8-) Why don't you guys put your time and effort into changing the laws instead of figuring out ways to make yourself feel good about breaking them:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say what you want, laugh it up with Tom in Ca to make light of what you did, at the end of the day remember this, you broke the law and not just trespassing you damaged someone's property:occasion14: You had no right to go on the property. Whats worse, you knew it was wrong and did it anyway and for what .87 cents? I would love to hear what your reaction would be if you came home from 2 weeks vacation and somebody was digging up your lawn and they said, "oh sorry dude, didn't see any posted signs, nobody was around so I went for it, my bad.":dontknow: I have to admit, I love hearing all the excuses you guys come up with to legitimize your errant behavior:icon_thumright: Way to represent the hobby and put us in a good light, just the kind of attention we need8-) Why don't you guys put your time and effort into changing the laws instead of figuring out ways to make yourself feel good about breaking them:icon_scratch:

if you think digging a hole in the ground is damaging someones property, i would suggest that you stop running around damaging peoples property, because damaging property just isnt right, whether you have permission or not. and if your damaging property in the town park, thats destruction of public property, and that carries even stiffer fines. and dont forget the copper bracelet along with those 87 cents, its waiting for its original owner the next time i run into her, im sure she will be pissed when i return it to her. when did i say the owner was on vacation,and where is it i stated that i didnt see any no trespassing sign? its an old friends foreclosed home and i doubt that anyone really does know or have decided who the true owner is, shes not had any type of notification from an outside party that it is indeed the banks property. they just locked her out and shes too scared to do anything about it. i cleaned up the whole town park three weeks ago before i even turned on my detector, is that the kind of attention your talking about? exactly what law is it that you want me to change?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If any of us are "damaging" property (leaving holes), then that person needs to repeat the "target recovery 101" class, of how to leave no trace of your recoveries.

And .... no, I would not extend this conversation to people's front lawns who were simply out of town for 2 weeks (as you say treasurdiggerNY). Yes I know that sounds exactly analogous to the bank-repo'd boarded up home. In fact, *technically* it might even be somehow the same. But somehow, everyone of us (I hope) sees a difference. One borders on abandoned (even though not *technically*) while the other is a very much lived in occupied private house, that ......... no .... I doubt the OP would just wander yard to yard claiming ignorance. Not saying this satisfies the "logic" test, or "legal" test, but just saying ..... there is within all of us, a subconscious knowledge of the difference.

There was a house fire in my city years ago, which destroyed the home beyond repair. The damage was such, that the insurance I presume bought out the owners (who must have had home insurance) and condemned the house. The homeowners got all their personal stuff out of the house that was in the un-burned portions, and the house just sat there for months pending demolition. I suppose that in that interum time, it .... I guess.... belonged to the insurance company? The grass grew up to knee-high height, as it sat abandoned. One day therefore, I took my power mower over there, mowed the lawn, and hunted it. Got some silver, and a key date 1909s lincoln cent (not a VDB durnit). I suppose this wouldn't be too different from the subject of this post. *Technically* the land still belonged to *someone*. Eventually, the remainder of the house was torn down, and a new home built on the site. Would I have just walked on to this yard before that fire and abandonment? Of course not. Would I walk on that yard now of the new home (the turf may even be the same afterall), of course not.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
But you know what? This is all silly. Because I can totally sympathize with those that feel this "go ahead no one cares" attitude as "wreckless" "wrong", "lawless", etc... Because I agree, that once someone starts down THAT road, then what's to stop people from starting to deduce that they can "push that envelope" endlessly? In other words, the minute people start saying "just do it", it only conjurs up images of yahoos run amok, pillaging people's front yards at night, sneaking shiloh, ghettysburg, bodie, etc... Because how can any of us non-cautious wreckless guys advocate walking some "fine line" of places that .... realistically .... which would give no end of envelope-pushing for other private or sensitive monuments etc....? THAT is the image conjured up when the cautious people read me and others advocating "just do it", and I don't blame them.

So I can totally see both sides of this. It's one of those things, I guess, that you could never actually come on a forum saying "help yourself". Lest you merely open up a pandora's box of "what's next?" So the logical correct answer is to never break a law, inquire everywhere you go to, don't take shortcut trails across corner lots, turn in the dime or the $20 you find at the parking lot, etc.....

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet a lot of the people condeming a man for hunting a bank foreclosed property have done worse things in the past...I dont believe anyone is perfect, but it sounds like a a lot of people think they are.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet a lot of the people condeming a man for hunting a bank foreclosed property have done worse things in the past...I dont believe anyone is perfect, but it sounds like a a lot of people think they are.
...... lookindown ..... You are so 100% right in that statement......................

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I'm not perfect.
However, my conscience tells me that a thread like this will NOT benefit our hobby.
Now, there could be dozens of people walking through bank foreclosures or any other boarded up house property and it will eventually come back to haunt us.
Is that so hard to comprehend?
This wasn't some innocent post where the OP was sharing his finds and happened to mention the site.
No, it's obvious what the intention was.
Keppy, you out of all people should know what I'm talking about.
Would you have started a thread like this? Mr. "TELL NOBODY NOTHING."
:icon_scratch:
I'm done with this thread.
Why should I care? It's not my city, province, or country. ::)
Enjoy your next episode of Diggers!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

No one is perfect and there is really no right or wrong. It all depends on the situation and where you set your personal boundries that make your reputation and your reputation always precedes you. Frank...

black bamboo.jpg Thru this jungle that is life.

Last edited:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is going sour so this too will be my last comment in it.

In the world of metal detecting, what is worse than hunting on private property without permission? It is called poaching, and odds are you will eventually get caught and suffer consequences. I am not perfect either, but I also am not clueless.

Poacher - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me see treasure hunters code of ethics..... fill your holes ..and finders keepers..... But i do have a hard time trying to fill my holes in Lake Erie.........

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously, you need to trespass to coin hunt? I could think of several ways to get permission, but why bother. Since the introduction of Boom Baby shows I have seen a lot of new comers and have had to fill others holes and pick up the trash they leave. Now we are openly saying its ok to steal? Go dig up your grandma and steal here silver fillings in here teeth already. Where does it stop. We are all ambassadors of this hobby, and we are on the verge of loosing it. So Boom Baby, keep going in this direction and watch your hobby go bye bye. Its not a soap box, its a way of life to me. Im here to help. I think a few comments are way out of line. Im pretty sure this will fall on deaf ears here but it needed to be said. I hope any new comers to the hobby takes the time to learn how to dig and fill holes, gets permission where required, and helps build the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions