I want to upgrade from an ace 350 any ideas?

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imo go with the ATPRO. Less of a learning curve from ace to pro. Submersible to 10ft. With waterproof headphones. Best bang for your buck......I should add that I don't own a whites so I cant help you there.

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'll probably go with the AT when I get the money :P anyone else have imput?

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro... I have an Etrac and still use the AT Pro... it's a beast!

ret-detector

Feb 20, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm very new, but I did a lot of research and most individuals I talked with suggested the AT Pro...so that's what I bought.
I'm sure that there are as many opinions as there are posters.

digger-o-dell

Mar 9, 2013
These are my exact thoughts RE: upgrade to the AT Pro.
After some very successful hunts with my Ace 350 on the beach, I am finding that I need more capability to omit the trash (especially bottle caps and foil inserts for drink bottles) that have the same target ID's as most coins.

Good hunting!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have made up your mind already. I could own one of the AT Pro's. My next machine will be a minelab if I can afford it.

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok now the fisher f70 is a factor too :P I watched a depth test video on youtube and it seemed to get nice depth! But ill probably still go with the AT pro when I can afford it :P

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
at pro for sure....I dig mine and it is all I hoped for

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first was the 350. I used it for 7 minutes (no joke!!) and realized I NEEDED something better.

With (literary) 7 minutes experience, I bought the F70. Was it a good decision? I think so. Fischers have their quirks and are not for everybody. I think they are awesome.

For me...I really liked the configurability. They are highly sensitive and have a threshold setting. The F70 has several audio settings. If you like the 3 tones of Garrett...you got it. The F70 can be set from 2 tones to 'delta tone' which assigns a tone to every metal type. I love that feature.

It does not come with 'pre-set' modes. It has two user defined programs. WIth my 350, it didn't matter what mode I was in...I tweeked them. In the end, pre-sets didn't matter.

The hard part about the F70 is; you have to learn how to USE a metal detector. If you set it up wrong, its OBNOXIOUSLY loud. But, it's strongest point is configuration. SENC/THRESH, manual ground ballance, tone settings, Hz shift, accurate pinpointing....its got it all. Oh yea....2 months on 4AA batteries that show full charge. You can't go wrong!!!

Say what you want, I'll never sell my F70!! But I have a 7minute old 350 for the right buyer!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The Garrett AT Pro has the most accurate ID at depth I've ever seen (barely seen, the # is small). Just a bit after I got the manual ground balance set about right, I get a loud beep: very tilted quarter! Next another loud beep, reading 8" deep. The ID is only jumping from 80-85, on many passes over the spot. 80-85 numbers are all dime numbers. Sure enough, at 7" there is a clad dime. Very hard, totally dry dirt, moderately mineralized. This in a large park/schoolyard combo that's been detected a few hundred times just by me, plus I have regular competition there. Also, got a shallow nickel ID 52-53. I checked the immediate area after that with iron ID & the nickel had been surrounded by 5 pieces of iron!

I've just used it in the super-simple STD mode, sensitivity 7 out of 8, coins mode, & iron 100% rejected (40). Rarely would I dig a piece of trash & it seems about all were round coin-sized objects, like a button. Also it can tell the difference between copper pennies (upper 70s-low 80s bounce), & dimes bounce 80-85, a quarter is about 85-86. And zincs can be IDed by audio: high tone one way, low tone the other way, mid 70s IDs. If I have the iron rejection at 35, a bottle cap beeps on every other pass. In STD mode, even deep coins sound strong.

Many prefer the Pro mode as with some iron accepted, it may be possible to hear a coin under a nail. Pro mode has modulated audio, weak at depth.

The current & recent model White's under $600 in my experience have too jumpy IDs with stock coil.

The AT Pro is about the least jumpy on deep coin IDs & separates very well even with the stock 8.5x11 DD coil. Some of the dealers may quote you a lower price on the phone or in e-mail but they can't post more than 15% off MSRP on the internet. If you want to go underwater (max 10') you need the waterproof headphones. The ones that come with it are only water-resistant (must not be submerged), but good enough for use on a rainy day. Best wishes, George (MN)

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Whites Coinmaster GT is a good detector, but doesn't have the waterproof capabilities. You can't go wrong with an easy upgrade to the AT Pro. Call me if I can help you , we have some great packages in stock.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions