What makes someone good at metal detecting?

Don11971

Nov 27, 2006
WOOSTER, OHIO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
What makes someone good at metal detecting?

A question I been thinking about the last week or so. Some may think the number of coins or how many rings and things they find But is it really. But, Nobody wants to show their hunting buddy's a shredded beer can collection! How about little Johny who just got a metal detector for his birthday and decides to go out in the woods behind his house that his mom and dad owns, just to find out its old circus site. He finds thousands of I.H.'s and hundreds of sliver coins in just a few short weeks. does this make Johny good at meal detecting? Or is Johny just in a good spot?

I Look at metal detecting like it is a gemstone it has many sides to look at. one side is the finds the number and or Quality of coins or relics found in a given year. Can this measure how good some one is at metal detecting ? I think the answer is yes and no! Keeping records of your finds over a number of years should give you some idea of how well you are doing. If the same amount of hunting time is given. How will Johny's records look in year two or three?

Another side of the metal detecting gemstone is your goals. I think most of us want to find OLD coins and relics. Let say the goal is to find a large cent. Then you should put your self in a site that can potentially produce a large cent and start swinging. Will this make someone good at metal detecting?

Yet another side of the metal detecting gemstone is research. How important is it? I think it's one of most important things you can do to reach your goal. You have to look in the right places to find that large cent and you need research to do it! Research will help with site selection. Will this make someone good at metal detecting?

Another facet of the metal detecting gemstone is knowing your equipment. I think Knowing your equipment is vary in important. It does not have to be the best detector on the market. You just need know the ins and outs and the quirks and the limitations of your detector and coils etc. Understanding how ground mineralization will affect your equipment will also help. But, will this make someone good at metal detecting?

Yet another facet of the metal detecting gemstone is ethics.Ethics are important. lets go back to little Johny. Lets say Johny did his research at the local library and found another circus site about forty miles away now it is in a state park? Johny call the park ranger and he sad no metal detectors aloud in the state park. But Johny sneaks in to the park and metal detects anyway, not filling his holes,cutting down trees simply not caring about the site or the states land .Will following the code of ethics make someone good at metal detecting?

Conclusion
Can Johny be good at metal detecting, Yes, if Johny sets goals, does his own research, knows his equipment, and he follows the code of ethics. Then the number of old coins should clime or should be about the same very year.

What do you think? What makes someone good at metal detecting? all opinions are welcome

HH, Don

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don11971 said:
Conclusion
Can Johny be good at metal detecting, Yes, if Johny sets goals, does his own research, knows his equipment, and he follows the code of ethics. Then the number of old coins should clime or should be about the same very year.

What do you think? What makes someone good at metal detecting? all opinions are welcome

HH, Don

I think you summed it up with this...and of course experience

T

TreasureTales

IMO, every point you covered will make someone a good metal detectorist. What makes someone great is the amount of time put into it. When I spent lots of time swinging, I found lots of stuff. When I cut way back in the amount of time I spent on this hobby, my totals suffered. And as bill gent said...patience. I'd also add thoroughness. Both of these qualities require time.

Time = Money.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea, I suck at it. :D

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good answers...but what you didn't mention was "History'...finding a spot is great...knowing the history gives you a better idea of what maybe to expect....It is great to get online and check out the history of the spot or town name, events from bygone days etc...SO a good metal detectorist also needs history to be great at it! Pardon me for not completely reading your post..."research" was mentioned! Alot of people don't have the patience to md they are easily frustrated with finding trash....move on once you locate the trashy areas....but do dig sometimes if you know this area has history...mds sometimes can send a mixed signal of good/bad...Good luck

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Don, here are my thoughts. What makes a person a good detectorist:

1.Research - Being able to find new spots through research. Not only finding new old spots but being able to predict the better of the sites before even going there. Sometimes there are factors beyond your control.

2. Tools - A man is only as good as his tools. A good detector, pinpointer, pouch, digging tools, etc. These all factor in to how "good" you become.

3. Experience - Knowing your detector well and what it's telling you, knowing when to search long and hard at a site and when to abandon it, pulling old coins out of hunted out parks, being able to adjust your detector to suit the site,...these are marks of a good detectorist.

4. Salesmanship - Being able to secure permission. This includes networking to come up with new spots and leads.

5. The Person factor - You can be good at all of the above but if you, keep all your spots to yourself, are greedy, cross ethical boundaries, neglect your family, put others down, etc. it kinda takes away from the hobby.

The last one is kinda up for grabs because it's just like in sports - you can have a star athlete but he can be a jerk. The jerk might even make it to the hall of fame.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup
BOBBY HULL was a drunk and would beat up his wife ,often
i knew a guy taht lived down the street from him cops never arrested him
this was back in the day

T

TreasureTales

Baron Von De Kalb said:
yup
BOBBY HULL was a drunk and would beat up his wife ,often
i knew a guy taht lived down the street from him cops never arrested him
this was back in the day
HUH?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last one is kinda up for grabs because it's just like in sports - you can have a star athlete but he can be a jerk. The jerk might even make it to the hall of fame.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I don't think anyone can get good at all the aspects of detecting. Look at the finds in the sites here. Badger, Lumbercamp and others are "good" at relics. The beach hunters are "good" at their thing. Others on CW. Nugget experts, Russian German war relics, Of course PBK, Gypsy and others are truly research pro's. The list could go on and on but most of us if we stick with it til we have the experience will find we have acquired a "specialty'' and that will be what makes us GOOD.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck and skill. I rely on luck and am slowly developing skill. Monty

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Luck and skill. I rely on luck and am slowly developing skill. Monty
You forgot to say "muscle rub" :D :D

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OFF TOPIC FOR A SECOND: How are you Monty? Are you sleeping these days?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Wow ...This is really a good thread.
I am not the best detectorist...I dont have the fancy equipment and we all know I hate to dig deep.,....Oh I will crawl into a rabbit hole,cave ,root cellar or mudpit...cripes I hate digging through roots.
But Lord knows I love detecting ...Cant get enough of it and I would do it full time if I could. I actually go through withdrawls as soon as it freezes and I cant dig.

I really think that if you have a passion for something, that it makes up for what you might lack in other areas of expertise. Not a greedy passion.....but a pure passion.

I have a passion for history and research. When I am hunting an old area, I transend myself back to that time and try to think like the people of that era did....what were their daily routines, where would they walk, do yard chores, build their outbuildings, I watch my girls run off and play, thinking that all children would act the same way, finding little spots to play or hide. I try to pick the route they would walk to a neighbors cabin or the paths they took to school or the fishing spot.

Its just not the detecting, its finding a relic that was used long ago and holding it in your hands...a small brooch, thimble or token that you know someone wore with love, a tool that is so worn from daily use or a button from some lost soldiers coat.To be able to sit along a quiet river and eat your lunch...knowing that the pioneers of long ago did the same .....We are rescuing not only history,but someones memories.

I dont want to hunt with people who take the fun out of it. If you are going to sit and tell me how I swing wrong or go into technical crap that I dont even care about, it ruins it for me....I am out there for the pure enjoyment of the hobby...I can get excited over a beep from an Indian Head and do a happy dance all over the place....and I will do the same dance when someone finds a silver capped half dollar and feel the happiness for them . It doesnt have to be my find to get me happy!

And its been the best hobby that I can do with my daughters. From our digging up ghost towns and spending nights camping deep in the forest to researching, sorting and studying what we find, has really taught them so much that books can't do. I feel like I am really giving them alot out of life ,that costs very little except my time.

I know that this forum has helped me tremendously. Reading the techniques and advice from the pro's has made me a better hunter. Maybe retaining what you learn from the past has alot to do with hunting skill...and the attention to detail..I know that I can ask the dumbest questions and someone will give me an answer without crucifying me.
I don't need to be the smartest person out there ,because I have all of your brains to help me out. I don't have to be the best or find the best...I just have to detect....
So I think being a good detectorist is a combination of many things...integrity,respect for the land and others, luck ,learned skills, and passion.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
All of the things already mentioned plus the ability or willingness to listen and learn (ability to read is a given).

For example; say detector user A and detector user B are both using the same detector. They both put in equal hours and both produce great finds.

Now detector user B buys a book written about this same detector by expert detector user C (who put in tons of hours mastering that same machine). Detector user A keeps finding great finds but detector user B finds the usual great stuff along with some super old stuff due to this new found knowledge. They are both hunting the same sites but detector user B is finding better stuff because he/she took the initiative to learn more about how operate the machine to its fullest potential.

Now the above example is just one of many scenarios. All the people reading these forums are also getting the edge on all the people who don't bother logging on and just go it alone, sometimes getting frustrated and throwing their detector in a closet for the next 10 years. The old addage "knowledge is power" rings some truth.

T

TreasureTales

This is a great thread, it has depth. People have put lots of thought into their ideas. It's a nice read.

Gypsy, you are a writer whether you know it or not. Your post is poetic in several ways, and truly captures the spirit of what detecting is for many of us. Thank you for saying it so well.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as type of and to an extent quantity of finds you really have to include LUCK.

Ed Donovan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread