Which to buy

K

keepdiggin

I am in the process of selecting my next unit. I'm looking for a less $ unit with a good "turn on and go" reputation. Could anyone tell me which is a better unit betweeen the Ace 250 (G), and the Cibola (T)?
They both are getting good marks and Im not quite sure which to pick up. Thanks

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a straight out Ace 250 man. I really like mine and most people that have them really like theirs. I haven't heard as much about the Cibola, which could very well be a great machine, too. I see how much difference there is in the price of the two, so if they were neck and neck up to that point, the Ace 250 would win. The Cibola looks a little more "science project homemade" than the Ace, yet some people go for that look. I'm into ham radio and Ten-Tec radio looks homemade, yet they are great radios. I've toured their factory in Tennessee and know they make a good radio, yet I like Kenwood and Yaesu better because they don't look homemade.

I like the Ace 250

HH,
Ramapirate

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
The Cibola is going to be deeper, but it doesn't have any bells and whistles. It is a turn on, adjust the disc, and dig the beeps. It's advertised as more of a relic machine, but you could use it anywhere and find coins too. The Ace 250 has lots of bells and whistles and you won't dig as much trash with the machine due to the digital display. I guess you need to decide what kind of hutning you will be doing mostly and make a decision from there.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cibola will go deeper, more sensitive to small items, excellent coin hunter, lifetime warranty, comes with coil cover[costs extra for the 250]. The Cibola does not have a visual ID screen, but if you are asking which is the better detector, I would have to say the Cibola.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cibola is more for the serious user who wants older finds.
The Garrett will save you digging more rubbish but will also I.D. many more good items as bad. You won't dig them and thus don't know what your missing. Not the 250's fault, its the price you have to pay with metered machines.
Price wise the Garrett does give a lot for its low price level.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro Cibola is definitely the more versatile of the two and it's price shows this. It is very well made as is the Ace 250, but has the lifetime warranty if you ever need it.
Cibola is more for the serious user who wants older finds.
The Garrett will save you digging more rubbish but will also I.D. many more good items as bad. You won't dig them and thus don't know what your missing. Not the 250's fault, its the price you have to pay with metered machines.
Price wise the Garrett does give a lot for its low price level.
Posted on: Today at 02:44:21 AM
Well said U.K. Brian.

HH,
Sandman

Z

ztzzt

I am "kinda" having the same problem. I have the Ace 250 and don't think you can do better for the money. I'm trying to decide between the Garrett GTI 2500 and the Whites DFX. I am concerned that the latest and greatest will come out soon as these have been around awhile. Been through this too many times with computers. Good luck! It is a conundrum.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The GTI2500 is a bit dated but stilla good detector. The DFX is a great detector and even if they came out with a new one soon it would not be outdated. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread