TRASHY AREAS

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I have worked extremely trashy sites in the past and found some keepers in between the trash. It wasn't easy but that is also why the keepers were there. If you only go where the hunting is easy, which is where everyone else is hunting, then there won't be as many targets available. Unless you can find that virgin site date back a hundred years you are going to find trash.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I know, I know, dig everything and you'll get the good stuff, but will anybody else admit to after a few minutes of nails, tabs, rusty tin. you stick it on full discriminate, run it silent and settle for pennies, dimes, quarters and halves at 3 inches. I do

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
i dig up my fair share of junk, and usually have my limits....i leave some iffy targets for next time i guess, but if i see silver i really dig all the iffys....but i wont dig every target all the time, no way. it would kill me physically and discourage me as well. but sometimes if you do dig up some junk you get a better reading on other targets. i like to give some targets a chance every time i go out. after all isnt that what its all about, the mystery of not knowing what you might find. sometimes if theres a few coins in a hole or trash nearby the readings can go crazy and you might really miss out on a few good coins.

so for me to answer the question posed, it would be: both. a little of each.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
The more trash, the more people have been there and the chance of some goodies increases (or at the least-the potential increases). You might also check along the water side of the beach. You might also check along the paths leading to and from the beach area. After a full day of frolicking, being tired also tends to make people drop things on the way back to the car. Just a thought.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I have to concur,the more leisure type trash that is present the more likely one is to encounter good targets. I enjoy hunting in a lot of trash and I also use very little discrimination(-14) on my Explorer. When I first started using minimal discrim all the noises really were overwhelming,but after awhile you do get used to it and when you come over a good target it is a lot more obvious. Another benefit to hunting in really trashy areas is that it really improves your detecting skill. After huting in major trash for a few days go to a clean area and you will be able to pick out great targets with ease,HH...SHoot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread