All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trying to decide between a few detectors. First i will be hunting in parks, around lakes and old hm. sites. The two i was looking at was the whites mxt or m6 and the at pro. I never owned a good detector before and wanted to get a good one to start with. Any advice would help alot. Thanks

Welcome! In your price range, I would also look at the Tesoro Tejon Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. ($595.00); Minelab X-terra 505 X-TERRA 505 | Minelab Adventure Metal Detectors ($550.00); and the Fisher F5 Fisher F5 Visual & Audio Target ID Metal Detector ($500.00). All three are lighter, and better values - In My Opinion. Good Luck!

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know where you are located but, if at all possible to do, it will benefit you to go to a dealer or dealers and try out the various models you are interested in. Or, find a club and attend a meeting. You should be able to try different detectors there as well. One model or type may just feel "right" for you and you may find it easy to interpret what it is telling you. Keep in mind that all detectors work pretty much the same way. They create a magnetic field around the coil and interpret changes in that field caused by metallic objects passing through it. How they display that information will vary between different makes and models. Bottom line is that there is no "best" detector. You can literally spend thousands of dollars learning that simple lesson. Find the one that feels best and most intuitive to you and then stick with it! You are starting a relationship and it takes a while to learn what the machine is telling you. Be patient. Pay attention. Don't give in to those thoughts whispering in the back of your head (the ones that show up at about the twentieth pull tab in a row) telling you that there's something wrong with the detector and that if you buy a more expensive one things will be better. Can you get a defective detector? Sure you can. But the odds are that the detector is working fine and the problem is you. Accept from the beginning that pull tabs will give the same reading as any number of desirable targets. So will wads of aluminum foil. You can either dig the trash and have confidence you didn't leave something good in the ground or you can discriminate out most of the trash and accept not finding some good things. It's up to you.

Storm

x512x

Nov 30, 2012
Yupp around my area they have a place where you can rent detectors so that would be great to test out your choices. However I have the at pro its a great great machine. But find out for yourself not telling you to get the machine just putting my word in that its worth the money and it will pay for itself mine already has and I only had it for a couple of months.

jffbrk

Aug 26, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Trying to decide between a few detectors. First i will be hunting in parks, around lakes and old hm. sites. The two i was looking at was the whites mxt or m6 and the at pro. I never owned a good detector before and wanted to get a good one to start with. Any advice would help alot. Thanks

I'm on my 2nd AT PRO ..... It's waterproof In case of rain.... The iron audio & sound tones is most important.... In trashy sites its all about what you learn to hear in your headphones

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The M6 is an excellent detector and Simple. The MXT is the same platform, 15 Khz but has a few more controls. You can't go wrong with either one. Just take some time and learn what they are trying to tell you.

OP
OP
H

huntman

Mar 17, 2013
NE Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, there are no places around my neck of the woods to try them out or no one i know that has one. Out of the ones mentioned are one easier to run/learn for a beginner? thx

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies, there are no places around my neck of the woods to try them out or no one i know that has one. Out of the ones mentioned are one easier to run/learn for a beginner? thx

Check it out:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the M 6 is analogue digital with a very fast or slow swing speed
has a lighting fast display that holds you acquired target for few seconds then reset it self
it ground balance in a snap by pumping the ground as you go
gives you different pitches for different conducting metals "tone audio I.D" with out the roll over
but i think you can turn that off and have one sound
8 aa that last for ever with head phones the better the set the happier you will be
silent search is nice it less of a hassle
they have a good resale

the white's Gt mite be sum-then to look at all so it's lighter and has all most the same information aboard
and cheaper you mite get a pin pointer out of the deal
and it's easy to cover not sure of the opperating frequence it has
hope the helps

liftloop

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8.192 khz which means it's one of white's dyno tuned frequencies
it's geared for small silver and large gold

Last edited:

jffbrk

Aug 26, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
There are better detectors..... to say they are all the same is like saying all cars are of equal quality & performance. My Cheaper detectors went 8-12 inches deep. My AT Pro goes 18 - 24 and deeper depending on conditions. Another big difference is the quality of tones in the earphones, which is helpful in area with trash, nails, or mineralization. I can hunt a heavily hunted area & most of my finds are 18" +

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are better detectors..... to say they are all the same is like saying all cars are of equal quality & performance. My Cheaper detectors went 8-12 inches deep. My AT Pro goes 18 - 24 and deeper depending on conditions. Another big difference is the quality of tones in the earphones, which is helpful in area with trash, nails, or mineralization. I can hunt a heavily hunted area & most of my finds are 18" +

??? You better hold on to that AT Pro. It is obviously a magic one, because you are getting Pulse Induction depth with it - WOW! :notworthy:

CleenSweep

Feb 27, 2013
Middlesex County, MA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer(s)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy S$&t! Is that with a stock coil? After rain or something? My AT Pro gets a decent tone in Pro Zero mode maybe 11"-12" max.....Nothing on Target ID, but I can hear good tone faintly. Im new to the MD world, but a total tweaker....Can you help me get that kind of depth from mine?

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was the MXT which isn't hard to learn but like any takes time to master, with the D2 coil I can get dimes at 10"+ and some at 12"(true depth I won't lie about 18" which you could get if its a 5 gallon metal can, but I don't care to find many of those) before out of a park thats been pounded for 40yrs that alot of others won't even detect anymore as only the really deep stuff is left there. HH

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta say I just sold an mxt.It worked very well but only one audio tone...drove me nuts and the pinpoint mode sounded like an animal being tortured.Was heavy too.My old gtax 1250 and my newer at pro are soooo much easier to swing all day(for me).As far as learning curve....my f75 and at pro were really intuitive and pretty easy to master.Maybe 25 hrs.(3 days for me).
I guess I really prefer the garretts....hard to put a finger on why....just do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread