Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's the real situation: There are two types of people. There are the originators that create or do things on there own and really need no support from others. They get there support from actually doing things for themselves. Then there are the other type. The type that create in a group. They do need the the recognition and support of others. These are the type that sit and watch sports activity and cheer when there team makes a goal as if they had something to do with it. It's just the group mentality. Yep loners and groupies. This should stir the pot. Frank...
....Frankn.... I know what you mean .... Like i said before i am not a joiner. I don't feel the need to have the support of others............. And yes that is a need for most.....

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually did it for 3 months back when I was 15 years old. I had a falling out with my dad and took to the hills of upstate NY. My favorite book of my youth was calledMy Side of the Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It relates well to this topic and it's about a teenaged boy who runs away to the catskill mountains of NY. I pretty much lived out the story. Although it had peaceful and serene times, it also included weathering the elements among other struggles. I've hunted and fished all my life, so finding nourishment wasn't usually difficult. My dad found me after 3 months and we reconciled.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
You don't have to be a "hermit" to be alone. You don't have to be "dead" to be a ghost. I'm only in my mid 50's and i'm both. My entire family is either dead, or has driven everybody away with their insanity and greed. Cancer and heart disease took out all my friends years ago. If wanna be a ghost, all you have to do is put your stuff in a grocery kart and sit beside it on any sidewalk. I guarantee NOBODY will look at you. Instant INVISIBILITY. People don't HEAR you either, even if you SCREAM at em. Actually it's kind'a cool.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
... Frankn.... I am a lone wolf also.... Like you i have no problem working with others........... But when it comes down to it i would rather hunt alone............ Could be why i enjoyed the life of a truck driver..........And still do... But i come home every night ... i will not take any loads that have me stay over night..........For i like being with my wife.........
LMAO , Keppy :laughing7: Thousand miles a day was the only way for me for over 20 years . So enjoy staying home now that I put 680 miles on my pickup for ALL of last year .

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
LMAO , Keppy :laughing7: Thousand miles a day was the only way for me for over 20 years . So enjoy staying home now that I put 680 miles on my pickup for ALL of last year .
..That is a lot of miles..... Now i work for a friend of mine who wholesales trees............. I only work in the summer and only work 1 or 2 days a week........ never go more than 300 miles a day round trip......... And enjoy the work..... Or i would not do it........ I retired in 98............

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people can't relate to ordinary people for one reason or another. Some very intelligent or creative people can have these problems. What I've seen is without feedback from the world a person can begin to distort what's commonly referred to as reality. So the tale of the crazy hermit goes on.
If a general consensus of what's real is real is another question.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Some people can't relate to ordinary people for one reason or another. Some very intelligent or creative people can have these problems. What I've seen is without feedback from the world a person can begin to distort what's commonly referred to as reality. So the tale of the crazy hermit goes on.
If a general consensus of what's real is real is another question.

Reality is not always a truly known substance. How about dark matter, gravity, ghosts, UFO's. Everyone's connotation of reality may vary. Even our perception of each other changes, look at all the divorces. I would guess that most people observe, and draw there own conclusions. Yes, the groupies are biased by others opinions, but the loaners draw there own. I would not be the one to deny either there opinion. Frank...
rose on ice 700 this one.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to be a "hermit" to be alone. You don't have to be "dead" to be a ghost. I'm only in my mid 50's and i'm both. My entire family is either dead, or has driven everybody away with their insanity and greed. Cancer and heart disease took out all my friends years ago. If wanna be a ghost, all you have to do is put your stuff in a grocery kart and sit beside it on any sidewalk. I guarantee NOBODY will look at you. Instant INVISIBILITY. People don't HEAR you either, even if you SCREAM at em. Actually it's kind'a cool.
Sad but true. Weren't you on the forum last year or two ago. You were living, traveling around the country or gold country?

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Yep. I just spent Mardi Gras in New Orleans, (probably my last), and in six days i'm headed back to Arizona for some more "tent" living and gold prospecting. The last couple of years have been eye opening. Never realized there were so MANY unemployed homeless people in America. One shelter operator in Albequerque told me the homeless population has increased 500 % in two years. I don't think your getting the REAL picture on television news. The unemployment figures don't include people who've exhausted all their unemployment benefits and stopped looking for work. The actual figure is closer to 15 %. This country has changed in lifetime. There are NO MORE gold watches or careers anymore. Not for most anyway. Even the government is laying workers off. No matter how well you think you're doing, i'd recommend you read up a bit about surviving on the street and living off the land. Welcome to the New Normal everyone.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I actually saw people holding cardboard signs and panhandelling along the parade routes in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Never saw that before. Breaks my heart hearing people in New Jersey screaming for help after hurricane Sandy. Don't they realize it's been almost 20 years since Katrina, and the Ninth Ward still looks like Hiroshima after the bomb hit. NO HELP is coming to the people of New Jersey. They're PERMANENTLY homeless now. Sure a small number of people will be able to rebuild, (probably having to live somewhere else). But that's just a fraction of those effected. Seems to me, people are somewhat "dellusional" about the reality of the world we're living in now.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Reality is not always a truly known substance. How about dark matter, gravity, ghosts, UFO's. Everyone's connotation of reality may vary. Even our perception of each other changes, look at all the divorces. I would guess that most people observe, and draw there own conclusions. Yes, the groupies are biased by others opinions, but the loaners draw there own. I would not be the one to deny either there opinion. Frank...
View attachment 762599

Sure, many of us quietly have our own idea of what's real. What were stuck with is what some call Consensus gentium (agreement of peoples) . We live with a general opinion of what's real and are dealt with if we stray too far. Anything from a virtual flogging to being placed somewhere isolated like a virus.
I sometimes thought of peoples perceptions like a diamond with all it's facets. Each having it's own reflection. ( My optimist period )That idea won't fly in a society that depends and thrives on agreement of what's real. So they scorn an artist in their lifetime for offering a challenge to the vision but honor after their death for being a visionary. Small minds in high places.
Like the turtle, safety in not sticking your neck out too far.

b7seas

Aug 12, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-2 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some strange reason, I ran across this discussion today. My soul mate of 50 years is currently in Grave condition, in an ICU. This is a scenario that I've run thru my head many times. We have lived, loved, argued and made up over the years with no help from any one. The thought of the possibility of losing the most cherished part of my life, is the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced.

Just some thoughts!

Bob

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
For some strange reason, I ran across this discussion today. My soul mate of 50 years is currently in Grave condition, in an ICU. This is a scenario that I've run thru my head many times. We have lived, loved, argued and made up over the years with no help from any one. The thought of the possibility of losing the most cherished part of my life, is the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced.

Just some thoughts!

Bob

Nothing much anyone can say. Some things we do alone. Hope you have someone to share this with.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drink alone. Mostly iced tea, coffee, and water these days. (Hopin everything comes out ok, b7seas. Take care.)

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be a people person...........................but people wrecked that, for me.
I know what you mean coops!
The more I get to know people....................... the better I like animals. :laughing7:

Bob, I wish you and yours well and strength. You have a venting place here, for when you need. Good luck with all.

Newcatfish, I think the stark reality of it all, is something that is not seen by the "norm".
They'd have to look up from that cell phone, iphone thingy..... to notice.

For anyone doing or thinking of doing the "alone" thing, two movie shows come to mind.......
1. Into the Wild - true story - make sure you KNOW what you are eating!
Into the Wild (2007) - IMDb

2. Alone in the Wilderness - true story - Dick Proenneke takes simple tools into Alaska, hunts, fishes, builds cabin (and didn't even need Foxfire books, lol!)

I figure, much of it depends on your own head, the hows and whys of what your doing and your mind-set of it all. I guess like someone said earlier, there's loners and groupies. I'm a loner for the most part, but do enjoy good positive interactions with good positive people. One gotta be careful following the herds. When they start stampeding over the cliff, you need to be smart enough, to stop running with them. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread