I wish someone would reply other than me I'd like info to

OP
OP
R

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Library of Congress, Washington, D. C. -map room.
What maps are you guys looking for, specifically?
Don.....
don, i am looking for historic maps of new england. small towns. 1700 and 1800s. thanks.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been disapointed. Google Earth historic view, does not go back very far, but good for recent birdseye view, Penn Pilot a little better. Keep hearing about over laying old map with recent, never works for my area. I'm listening

CleenSweep

Feb 27, 2013
Middlesex County, MA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer(s)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historic Map Works.com

Agreed.....I've been taking hi res mid-late 1800s maps from HMW and overlaying them (big pain in the keister) on satellite imagery from Google Earth....get it as close as possible and "save as" a .kmz file. All your geo data is saved then too...transfer to a Garmin 62 series compatible (or other) GPS and go find the foundies where modern sat image and old map structure show where something was, but isn't anymore...

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HistoricAerials.com or ya could go to the library

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A link to this site was posted on TNet a few days ago....several files to check and they aren't specifically labeled but you can download each file (PDF) and scroll through them. Pretty good stuff! Think there is a bunch for your area.....just gonna have to dig through them.

Maps | Treasure Illustrated

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In New Hampshire there was commisioned County maps (dated 1858 +_) for most countys---showing all homes as of that date--I have Merrimack cty hanging in the kitchen // this was also done in 1894 ish--there is a webb site that sells these by county ( www.old-maps.cpm ) Perry

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't normally hunt sites where I need old maps. But I've bookmarked this thread for future reference.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this:

Google

It's a really powerful tool; more stuff coming on line all the time, and once you can "talk Google", you'll find stuff you can't bookmark fast enough.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and find a reprinted copy of Abby Hemingways gazeteers. They were originally printed in the 1870's. I have a couple from Vt, and they come bycounty. They show all the roads, parks, churches, schools businesses,houses and property lines with the owners names . I paid under $20 for them, but if you find an original, keep it, it's worth quite a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions