Found a 8" 49 pound cannonball in muskegon lake

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went water hunting the other day and stumbled upon an iron ball in about a foot and a half deep water. Carried the heavy thing to shore in my waders and dropped it on the beach. It sure looked like a cannonball at that point. I could not carry it up the hill at that point (its very steep) so I decided to come back another day with a sled to haul it with. To make a long story short it turned out to be a civil war era eight inch mortar. The black powder is gone as you can see in the pictures but it cleaned up well. Any info would be much appreciated! I used my hand and a full sized hammer for size reference.

image-3643973224.jpg

image-495244459.jpg

image-358230536.jpg

image-1184068220.jpg

image-2619979999.jpg

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OUTstanding find! Tnx. TTC

OP
OP
sturrat

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two more in the water at this spot also.

CleenSweep

Feb 27, 2013
Middlesex County, MA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer(s)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's insane! I'd be outta my mind finding something like that....and you found THREE?!
Congrats! I don't care about the material value of what is almost definitely such a rare find, just think of being fired upon on the day that thing found its way into that stream...."The dawns early light...gave proof through the night......." Think about THAT! AWSOME........

OP
OP
sturrat

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weird thing is these we're found in a lake in northern Michigan. What the heck would they be doing in the sand here.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could be war of 1812 era if found up there.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd.... if found to be legit, (which it looks to me) this is very historic. Please document EVERYTHING.

I live in Mid Michigan currently.

OP
OP
sturrat

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I contacted the local museum to try to get some answers. The other two are still in the water at this point. I do not now if the are if the same mortar type but I was concerned it might still have black powder in it. The crustations easily fell off with a soft hit of a hammer. U can tell its been underwater fit well over a century.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Got me stumped. 12 yrs as a youth in Muskegon and nothing like that! There were the forts farther north. And st. Joseph(s) south. Or some one could have used some for ballast to trim a craft long ago and dumped them when they added weight.:dontknow: great find!.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Possibly the ordinance was deliberately dumped in the water by some retreating force. It's doubtful they landed in that tight a formation (grouping), after being fired. Armies in Early America often left behind cannon ball ammunition in order to move more quickly. Indians had no capacity to forge iron, so there was no worry about leaving the ordinance behind. If the ball was found "unloaded with powder".. this also indicates it was defused before being abandoned. Check old maps and find out if there was a historical trail nearby that would have been used by a large force. About three years ago, i found a 2 lb. cannon ball (carronade), buried in a primitive rock fort used by the Spanish near the Comanche War Trail in Texas. Hope this helps with your detective work. Magnificent Find !

OP
OP
sturrat

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They mortars are located in 1.5 feet of water in sand. This was actually land on 1877 plat maps. This was a docking area for several log mills and also had a rail road that ran next to it. They really look like the top of old pilings in the water until I pried this one up with my scoop.

OP
OP
sturrat

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like this is a non-threaded fuze with 1.35 in. opening, Columbiad smoothbore, 8 in. mortar from the info I found online.

OP
OP
sturrat

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I will try to get them out of the water this weekend. Its a steep hill to carry them up (roughly 80 feet). I know exactly where they are so it shouldn't be a problem finding them again.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. Bring 80' of rope and a bowling ball bag with you. Climb the hill and pull the bag up.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they were probably shot at some Indians
you lucky bum

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would post them on the relic forum to get a better idea of their authenticity. Weird that they were defused? Hope they turn out real.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread