key date coin question

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Your question is too broad to try to answer. Please try to reduce the scope of your question. For example, "I search through bags of pennies. What are the key dates I should look for?"

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a coin book, which you should be able to find at any good bookstore. It will give you all the information you need; key dates, number minted for that year, and approximate values of the coin. A good resource to have.

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
Yeah i knew it was a broad question, i guess i only thought there were a coiple key dates. I will probably havr to buy a book , i have just been looking at cointrackers.com

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
I am still looking to find my first silver just no time to go.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The have somethin called a 'Blue Book' for coins. That'll be the one you wanna get. Great thing to have for reference. It'll list values, but keep in mind that's just a suggestion, as you'll only get what somebody's willin to pay for it if you're into sellin coins.

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
Yes and i understand i have never sold any coins i just always kept for my self but i wouldn't mind selling some i already have or find some good ones. Thank you

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
The "Red Book" is one of the best.

I get a "brick", that is a box of paper rolled coins from the bank (I preferred the bags right off their counting machines because you didn't have to deal with ripping the paper from the rolls but most banks here won't do that anymore). Then I look at each coin and lay the best looking ones in rows of ten on the table.
The rows would start with years ending in "0".
I make piles of the best three or four good looking ones, and replacing and improving the stack as I go.

You will notice that some piles fill up fast and some may get very few, or none. That will show you what the key or semi-key coins are.
Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
Thank you all very much it seems i need more research, now to find time for that also haha

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
Wow a brick is 500 dollars in quarters that is alot of time and money. I guess u always change it back in when done. Does it yield very many silvers?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread