Forrest Fenns New Mexico Treasure

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
Forrest Fenn's New Mexico Treasure

Hello All,
Been quite a while since I've posted here, but I wanted to touch base about an interesting story that's been in the news quite a bit lately. No doubt some of you saw Nightly News or the Today Show a few weeks back. For those who didn't Forrest Fenn is an 80+ eccentric who years ago wrote a book 'The Thrill of the Chase' and a poem which supposedly leads to a treasure he hid (not buried) several years back in the Mountains north of Santa Fe, NM. The chest contains gold coins, artifacts, jewelry and various odds an ends that have value somewhere between 1 & 2 million dollars.
In interviews lately he's been very cagey about giving any further clues to his hidden cache. And his book ( funds earned supposedly goes to cancer victims) is selling like hot cakes at a bookstore in NM. The alleged size of the hoard has driven people from near and far to search it out. There's already one recent death reported of a 33 year old lady who froze to death while searching for the treasure in the mountains.
So is this guy a kook having fun with people's greed, or is there some truth to his tale? Has it already been recovered and will any of us ever know? Interesing food for thought I think....
HH
-spyguy

Captpappy

May 21, 2013
NM MN Id
Detector(s) used
tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think not. Who ever finds it will need to keep it to him/herself otherwise depending on the place it could result in some laws being broken. On the other hand if some one were to accurately determine where it was from the poem who'd believe it. Forrest has a treasure that will be eternally searched found or not.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...So is this guy a kook having fun with people's greed, or is there some truth to his tale...
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
I guess we will only know if (and when) someone finds his treasure or he admits to having fibbing?

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the Lost Dutchman's mine which is probably 94% not existing. Many people have died looking for it and a few years just recently 3 died and a few months ago 1 other person died looking for it. There have been many deaths of people looking for that stupid mine which does not exist. When people spit out and write books about fake treasure WHAT they are really doing is getting people killed. If there is treasure out there it is more then likely deeper than any MDer would pick up. Kinda like dropping a needle out of a plane in Alaska and having 30 people go look for it some will die, others will give up and no one will find it.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is great to go out on a search, but his is a hooby and certainly not worth dying for....
Now the woman who froze to death was not too smart it seems.........nature is not forgiving and you need to be prepared anytime you set out......

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I remember reading that the Forest Service(?) has stated that if found on FS land they get 1/2 of it.!!!!

OCF

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Fenn's treasure is found in a waterway on federal- or state-owned land, will that make a difference as to whether or not the finder has a right to keep it (the treasure)?

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think the best place to look is in Fenn's vault at his home. Frank... 111-1 profilecracked.jpg

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way I would ever say anything if I found it. loose lips sink ships

Greg-in-MI

Apr 5, 2008
First of all I can't believe how fast opinions are formed by ya'll this man happens to be a distinguished Veteran, use that thing you are typing on to do a little research on this fellow treasure hunter ,do I detect some jealousy. Just one mans well informed opinion. Oh by the way the treasure is real very real

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy and I spent a couple weeks in New Mexico looking for the treasure. Needless to say we didn't find it, but we got to spend some time with my friends son, who works the oil fields out there. The local rescue groups are very busy locating people who get lost in the mountains and have no clue what they are doing. The locals are happy to as it is extremely hard to find rooms as most everything was rented out when we were there. While we were there, we went to the reservation and got some pictures of Shiprock. If you are readers of a certain author and follow his series, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
First of all I can't believe how fast opinions are formed by ya'll this man happens to be a distinguished Veteran, use that thing you are typing on to do a little research on this fellow treasure hunter ,do I detect some jealousy. Just one mans well informed opinion. Oh by the way the treasure is real very real

No one is disparaging his war record or his treasure hunting ability. What bothers most is that he has said that all he wants to see is sweaty bodies out there looking for his cache. The fact is that he has not given one legitimate clue. There is no starting point so those vague clues could fit anywhere.
He has said that no one has found his cache. He has also said that he has not returned to the site. That would seem to indicate that the cache is still in his vault. Frank...

111-1 profileRED.jpg

jayackam

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody can stop trying to figure out where the treasure is.

I was contacted by a guy going by the the name Whiterock7, who has located the treasure. Apparently he sent a message with a pic to Fenn on May 17.
To protect himself from booby trapped spirit, he was planning on placing the box into the fire, and burning the whole box [ which Fenn was apparently afraid of, that's why he left the box unlocked]. Apparently the treasure was stashed in such a way, that your soul would be in danger, even just by getting to the treasure. So he took necessary precautions, but anyone seeking the treasure could still be in danger, just by passing through that danger zone, which could not be disabled, or by visiting with him, especially if you have small children..

So now you can stop looking. I have over though the poem myself, and came up with the wrong location, but I was absolutely correct about the booby trap and the soul...Apparently, it was actually worst than I thought. He apparently sent him a somewhat coded message, but included the pic. He was worried about who reads Fenn's e-mails, and that those people could still fall into the trap. He doesn't believe that Fenn's wife understands what Fenn is really doing.

I believe the guy 100%.

If you do not, contact Fenn. Do not let him tell you that it is still out there. Make him answer whether he did get an e mail from the guy on 5/17 with the picture of the correct location. Pass it on, do not waste your money and effort.

Captpappy

May 21, 2013
NM MN Id
Detector(s) used
tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fenn was thinking like a man with little time left. Why wouldn't he set up a plan to be immortal. History is full of examples. You can't take it with you. The poem is nothing if the clues aren't specific. A needle in Alaska as Hutsitedigger said so well above. Bad poem and no treasure or great poem awesome treasure which is it. Find the treasure unlock the poem-unlock the poem find the treasure, First decide what you believe. It won't be found by a nonbeliever they'd fail to be persistent enough. A believer must accept that the poem has merit. A particular place to begin a special place warm water halts THE HOME OF BROWN. If these clues are as general as they seem I am saying no reason to look. It would be like me saying it is where the sun shines. Really I bet if it said its where the sun shines we would get hundreds of comments as to where it is because someone saw the sun shine on something. Only after enough clues point to the only place they all fit can we narrow the area that being in the Rockys north of Santa Fe. Why the home of Brown? Because it is not just any Brown its capital B Brown. Fenn has already made it almost impossible to find, he used B as a clue that Brown means Brown. If B isn't anything special then we are back to square one that is the poem is just trash and so too the treasure. Fenn said when you find it you will ask yourself what took me so long. It is that SIMPLE. The hard part is the research it takes to connect the dots. The poem is a long time in the making he says he carefully selected the words. Give the man his due the clues are not general they are particular to Fenn his life and where he would like to be at the end of his life. I believe everything fits and everything refers back to the same ares over and over. The poem's style is called a triplet three rhymes per verse. Why? I have found three references for all nine clues that I found in only three verses. Why? Do I find 3 inside 3 inside 3. Try it. Read only verse 2,4 and 6. See if you come up with nine clues. Read verses 1,3 and 5 and see if they lead you to anything, Really no knee jerk stuff try it. Verse 1 he went alone with treasure. Any help oh there is a lot of guessing but really any help as to where to start where to put in where to be, No! You could make stuff up all day but it ain't in there. Ok verse three no paddle just JUST JUST you know like any popcorn left no just the seeds. Any vegetables in the garden no just flowers. Just heavy loads and water high. Hey I spent 28 hours looking and guess what he is right all I found was heavy loads of huge boulders and high water. Does verse 3 tell you where to go where to start or where to be NO! Finally verse 5 He is weak done that bla bla bla. Any help as to where to go where to start etc. NO! Three verses tell us where to start where to put in to look for the blaze and to be in the wood. That is not an accident. He picked his words carefully it is not an accident. Sorry for the tone, I have not found the treasure I should be humble I am no better than anyone else in the chase in fact I know there are many out there far better than i. Consider me as a nut case thats fine with me but if you take some time to look at what I am pointing out I feel you can get much closer to solving the poem. Good luck I am rooting for anyone who finds the treasure its in the wood down in the blaze walk there from a put in or pull out down for the home of Brown which is too far to walk but not too far the place warm waters halt. Geewiz isn't that hard enough without adding all the other stuff? Again good luck and happy hunting.. ps please forgive me acting high and mighty I'm just over reacting cause I am far from perfect.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The clues are fine IF you have a starting point. There is no starting point. It's like saying turn right in 2 blocks, then go to the second stop sign etc.etc.etc. It means nothing without a starting point. Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread