Rattlesnakes in a cave

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I have tried to stay out of this, but I feel a need to step up and offer what I hope is a less deadly plan of action for all parties involved – especially the snakes. We can lure ex-wife number two (A Salvadorian beauty meaner, faster, and more deadly than any species of rattlesnake) into the cave, simply by telling her there is a man in there even richer than the guy she left me for. Those snakes will slither out of there so fast you’ll think there WAS gasoline on fire in there!

Yes, I understand it is cruel, but the snakes will recover.

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I went into that cave I get a terrible case of PTSD, and if I didn't die right there from a heart attack, I'd probably die from the loss of body fluids while running away. Nothing could be buried in there that would cause me to go in.

LOL brother I am with ya. your post gave me the best laugh in a long time..

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I have tried to stay out of this, but I feel a need to step up and offer what I hope is a less deadly plan of action for all parties involved – especially the snakes. We can lure ex-wife number two (A Salvadorian beauty meaner, faster, and more deadly than any species of rattlesnake) into the cave, simply by telling her there is a man in there even richer than the guy she left me for. Those snakes will slither out of there so fast you’ll think there WAS gasoline on fire in there!

I hear mean fast Salvadorian beauties can actually smell gold so if there's any in there she'll find it and the OP is out of luck anyway. ;-)

hooch

Banned
Aug 4, 2008
Ahwatukee
Kuger,

I like your idea but there is a problem. In the winter here the air temperatures (where the cave is) drops to below freezing but back in the cave the temperature stays between 55 and 60F as this is the grouns temperature there. The snakes can hybernate and stay warm in the cave. In Arizona snakes don't really hybernate much except in the colder areas of the state and they stay active most of the year. In the summer time (where the cave is) the air temperature get to well over a 100F but the back end of the cave stays around 65F (again the ground tempersture). So I would imaging the snakes would stay in the cave except when they were hunting which would be at night in the summer and day time in the winter.

However, if there are really a whole lot of them (100's) then they would exhaust their food supply near the entrance to the cave so they would spread out. However, a rattler can go several weeks without eating after a big meal, so there would be no incentive for them to leave every day.

The gasoline solution does seem a bit risky.

Then there is make a deal with a snake handler to tajke them away...

Roger

Im over in Ahwatukee, take me to that cave and ill get them out. Skin them, put them in a 5 gallon bucket covered in those giant Bill Johnsons BBQ bottles from Sams for 48 hours then put them on my smoker. Damn dude PM me im totally serious.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Terry, had a #2 also, but she was Salvadorian and Italian...talk about temper!
fantasy-witch-43.gif

Yep...been there..
marriage.jpg

Actually, my #1 or #3 wives would be best for the job...just tell them there's diamonds in the
back of that cave and then those snakes won't stand a chance! Just one look at what #3 has
become and those critters will be terrified.....
hawkeye.gif

Finally got me a #4 about 11 years ago, and I'm keepin' this one!

crotalus

Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do hope the OP has moved on to a different location. In case anyone didn't understand- Mojave Greens WILL kill you. The risk/reward ratio just isn't there for this one.

I love some people's fixation on the 'mojave green' as a terrifying monster. Ya, their venom is neurotoxic and often more dangerous than other species in their range, but they're not so significantly different as to earn the reputation they get in most of the state. Depending on where this place is, it's probably not even a place where they life (as are most places where a cave as described would be found).

crotalus

Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To anyone suggesting killing them all, by fire, gasoline, or otherwise: that is illegal in Arizona.

If I know the general whereabouts of this cave, I could tell you what species they likely are and what their yearly activity patterns are like; when they are there and when they are not there. I sent you a PM, Mr. Brown. I can help, and leave all snakes unharmed all completely within the law.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no reason to kill snakes that are not attacking you

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Kellyco Predator II, Bounty Hunter Quickdraw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in another state but we have rattlesnakes up here to. I was hoping the cave you were inquiring about was near me but alas it isn't. Caves always carry a certain mysterious appeal but any cave full of rattlesnakes is nothing to mess with, believe me I've been around them (caves included) and taken a bite from an unknown snake on a cliff before. Best of luck tho.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an interesting summer project! Yes it will really stink from just the snakes eliminating in there. Kuger knows about spraying gasoline but the fumes will linger for a long time, especially in a cave, the gas fumes might displace the oxygen. Ledges and overheads could be problems, is this thing hard rock or wood braced? Cabelas sells snake proof leggings that even cover most of the shoe, they come up to my waist and they are way hot in the summer.

You've a bad project in hand regardless of what you do:dangerous, nerve jangling and dangerous especially when you do not want company that is some where in the area. Multiple snakes in a confined area does not sound like a good thing to me, I mean Indiana Jones made it out with the girl but that was a movie (ie not real). Consider your options: 72" snake tongs and a tall drum, contact a College in the area to see IF there is a best way to remove snakes from a tunnel/what would just make the snakes all leave, ask at a Serpentarium, get some anti-vemum to take with you and know how to administer it or go get an ice cream cone instead as a buried strong box in that situation is very tempting but man that is a dicey situation. Oh, and make sure you've emptied your bladder before going in there, I hate emptying fluids out of my boots................63bkpkr

mudd

Mar 16, 2013
Kansas city,KS
Detector(s) used
a 50$ Silver seeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T.N.T, LOL no odd as it may seem start a brush pile somewere "safe" out of range of kids ext, after a couple months it may be full of your evicted snakes then oil and a flair. or the pile gives someone who wants them a 360 view of the den so its a bit safer for hunting. That's what we did on a friends land that had a old and large rock quarry FULL of them, built a huge log and brush pile and 3months later the 'snake man" pulled close to 50 of them out in 4 hours and took them with no charge he got one that was 71 inch long.

OP
OP
RBrown

RBrown

Oct 10, 2012
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! This thread has generated a lot of innovative ideas, as well as opposing thoughts. Nice to see people on both sides of the fence.

This area is in the Superstition Mountains East of Weavers Needle. It isn't on any trail, its way off the trail, and the area is really hellish. The brush you have to walk through is mainly cat claw trees (yes trees) 8' to 10' tall. They have about ruined my new jeans. Its six miles from the parking area and up a 1000' vertical rise so you need to be in very good shape to just get there much less carry any snake fighting equipment or pick and shovel. And Yes I have the Cabela's snake proof boots but they only come up to my knees, and they are HOT and these boots doesn't bend very well so walking is a SOB (not like wearing hiking boots where I can move twice as fast).

I was there last September - you don't want to go in the winter (when it cool and there is water) as the brush is so dense you can't get through. Besides in the winter there are a lot of people crawling all over these mountains.

Summer is better, very hot (110F), no water, hours of long and strenious walking (and this is just one way - you still need to get back by night before it gets so black you can't see your hand). I doubt if I'll go back before late May or mid June when its really nice. But I hate to go through all of that and then have a bunch of snakes that should be out roaming sitting there and daring me to enter the cave...

I read elsewhere on this forum where another treasure hunter found a cave in the area of Weavers Needle and he couldn't get near the cave as there were rattlesnakes all around the outside entrance. He threw rocks which just pissed them off. He though he had found the LAD from the clues he found but had to give up...

I am wondering if these snakes are the real curse out there and they are guarding the treasure?

I have never seen a rattlesnake anywhere else in the Superstitions.

If any of you like snakes or want to save them (or even eat them) that is the place to go.

Roger

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Roger,
I've lived in the Phoenix area twice, have hiked the south mountain area and have looked in the direction of the Superstitions but never ventured there. Yes, you've some rough hiking to do and it gets a tad 'warm' out there but then "it is a dry heat". Your adventure is an intriguing one though I would not necessarily care to come along with you on it. I do wish you well with it and I believe all of us would enjoy hearing the end of the tale especially if you were able to toss in a few pictures but none with GPS tags on them so no cell phone pics. Be safe....................63bkpkr/Herb

campokid

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2013
bullhead city
Detector(s) used
whites gm-3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go fishing down in that hole bait the pole and as you catch them put in a large trash can and cut the and rehook and rebait line til you get your limit

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I didn't read all the posts so I might be duplicating, but here's my take.
1-Do not shoot a gun in the cave or into the cave. The returning lead might kill you!
2- Extreme case for a cave that size to kill snakes, but not hurt cave is about 1/4 stick of dynamite tossed about 10' in.
3- The easy way. get about 4 of those varmet sulpher smoke bombs and toss them in. Stay at entrance and be prepared to kill them as they come out. As soon as the smoke clears, start digging. Frank...
6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 040-1.jpg

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

For the snakes is better to use brimstone . The brimstone take away the snakes from wherever are . Many people put around their camps brimstone to keep away the snakes .
Or you can use magical words . When you see a snake , tell from inside you the words : Osiah-Osia-Osi-Os . In the most cases the snake paralyzed or disappear .

Marius

62dold

Jan 13, 2013
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white, bounty hunter, white tresure ray,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait untill they leave, if know one has found that cave before you, it will probably not be located untill after the snake's hybernation. That way your safe and they live till anouther day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread