Newbie needs help with stratgy in big area.

SWKDigger

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this on another forum so I apologize if some of you are seeing this twice. I'm just too new to this hobby not to use all of the available resources.

I recently gained permission to hunt a late 1800's homestead and the place hasn't ever been hunted unless it was without permission and knowledge. this homestead has been in the family since the 1880s and has had 3 different houses on it and I know the location of the houses and pretty good idea of the outbuildings etc. I know pretty much how I will hunt those areas.

The current owner told me of a trading post that was located just down the road. The trading post closed during the depression. She now owns the land it was on and told me she remembers going to the closed trading post and playing as a young girl but doesn't remember exactly where in that 160 acres it was. We narrowed down that it was probably within 300 yards or so of the road but could be anywhere on that 1/2 mile stretch. I looked for inconsistencies in the grass and physical geography but couldn't find anything.

My question is this: How would you hunt the area to possibly find the trading post? Section it off and go hunt multiple times but hunt it thoroughly? Cover a lot of area moving pretty fast in an "S" shape back and forth until I start getting hits? It is pretty flat but there are two small hills that I figured I would start on. If I were going to build a trading post, I would put it on one of the hills even though they are probably only about 5' above the surrounding land.

I don't even know what to expect to find there but the landowner was pretty excited at the prospect that I might find the location. Seemed that she had very fond memories coming back to her and told me about one item that she wanted back if I found anything. A locket she lost as a girl.

BTW, this is within a few miles of the Sante Fe Trail in an area well know for some Plains Indian attacks and conflicts and buffalo hunting. I'm really looking forward to hunting this area and don't have a time limit. Can't wait until the weather clears up.

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No clue but Iwill keep an eye on this post.I have a similure problem on a spot, Good luck

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my opinion. Start by gridding the property into 50-foot by 50-foot squares. Sample different squares by gridding them north to south, then east to west. This can take you four-to-five-hours per 50'x50' square. Start in areas that are slightly higher than the rest of the surrounding field, and think about possible old crossroads with 300-year-old trees and such.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one way is
all way circle out ward from you last find

Last edited:

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you say it was within 300 yards of the road. Is the road you speak of a newer road or the one associated with the trading post? Perhaps if you try to spot the old road instead of the trading post you may have better luck..Winter is a great time to spot old roads which have been covered over as the grass doesn't grow as well over them.My thoughts are that the old post would be right beside or very near the older road. Check for older topo maps of the area USGS Historic Quadrangle Scanning Project:: and view some satellite photos at acme mapper 2.0

OP
OP
S

SWKDigger

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate the suggestions.

I'm talking about it being 300 yards or so from the modern road, which very well may have been where an old road was or not. I don't really see anything on any of the satellite image sites or google earth that indicate an old road in that area. What I think I am going to do is walk straight lines, move over 25 or so feet and walk back. I'm going to cover ground pretty quick until I am satisfied that I have found the location I am looking for. I plan on using orange flags at each end of each pass I make so if I don't find anything my first time through I will go back in between the flags. Plan on using white flags with numbers written on them to mark where I find items. Keep a log of my findings with the number of the flag that marks them (boy, i'm getting really presumptuous about finding something) so I can see where the most concentration is and hunt those areas harder.

If I am successful I will create a diagram of what I do as well as pictures of all of the nails I will most likely find.

It will be a couple of weeks before I go out. Hopefully I can get out there before the Prairie Rattlers come out. That could spice things up a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread