Mar 14, 2013
Greenwich CT
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3 W/ standard 950 coil but waiting on my new 10" D2
White's M6- regular coil plus 6X9 shooter
White's Classic III W/ BlueMax 950 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I would like to say a big HELLO to everyone here! you guys have always been my go-to source for anything related to metal detecting and have never let me down. I'd like to start off by telling you all about my encounter with a dead body in a park... Not the best way to introduce myself i know, but since i started getting into this hobby (sport) in late Jan early Feb i thought I'd go in chronological order and get this out before posting any of my non organic finds. The other reason is that the newspaper reports aren't as thorough as my first hand encounter and to be honest, with respect to the family, i would really like to get this down on paper.
it started on a very cold and VERY windy day here in Greenwich CT (Jan 26th) of about 20-25 degrees, the night before it had dipped down to around the 0 degree notch (a unfortunate card to be dealt for someone walking that night). I had picked up my new VX3 at Al's hobbies about a week earlier and since the ground was frozen i would have a tough time using it... I'm sure you could imagine my anxiety to get out. I had picked out my spot (Cove park in Stamford CT) and off i went to follow Google earth to a beach that had been pretty messed up from hurricane sandy. I noticed a few guys working on some construction, most likely to push the sand back onto the beach from the storm. I picked a nice spot on the beach and started on my hunt. it wasn't long (please keep in mind this was my first Whites since my classic III the summer before) before i pulled out a nice old ship's spike, (ill post pictures of it later, as I have since restored...properly) a few clad's and decided that i may have better luck on a rather remote 1/4 mile long peninsula that an old textile factory had been years before.
As i made my way towards the tip of the peninsula, i had noticed that the ground was getting more and more unstable and rocky. I finally came across a little patch of sand and started setting the VX3 up/acting like i knew what i was doing (good god, how did i ever live without fox's settings at that point). Of course being the newbie I was, I had my head buried and my eyes glued to the screen (AKA not listening...i guess I'm a visual learner). As i made my way across a metal pipe, i happened to look up. To my amazement i saw what I thought was a piece of drift wood or maybe an art project of some sort. Then, as I approached closer, I noticed the horrible truth. I found The body of a 50 year old man face down but with legs bent at the knee sticking in the air and face on the rocks... just like if you had been sitting in a chair, frozen yourself and fallen forward, face first. he was not decomposed much but was clearly the rigor stage when he had died. When I noticed that there were no noticeable points of trauma and that he was indeed dead (no vitals plus his mouth had water dripping plus his lack of color), I immediately stood away and did not touch a thing which proved quite useful later on. After the initial shock wore off i ran like the wind back to alert the workers since I was the first on the scene (I left me cell in the car...never again) and lucky we were able to get paramedics out there within 15 Minutes (although unfortunately in vein).
I really want to extend my thanks to the Stamford EMS and the Stamford Police as their response was extremely professional and respectful. Of course my main condolences go to the Family, who had to endure a full day of unease before the awful news was brought to their attention and for that I am truly sorry. The police were also very accommodating towards me as they allowed me to stay and make observations with the Homicide team while taking the crime scene photos. They did think it was a homicide at first but after the autopsy, they ruled it to be an "accidental drowning". Here is the article from the paper that I found to be the most accurate: Body found in Cove identified - StamfordAdvocate
Kinda of a crazy first solo hunt if you ask me but strangely, in the weeks following I have been going out to detect almost every day (I work a 9-5 and still "find" time) almost to an obsessive degree. The body itself did not bother me (I had been a ambulance rider when I was younger) but the fact that he had expired less than 12 hours before i found him and that he has kids, (he was 50) had me in the "if I was just a little earlier" mindset for a while.
I have since come to terms with the unexpected find and have found that it was a bit of a blessing in disguise. I am not a religious person (nor a philosophical one) but before the incident, I was quite the shut-in... No hobbies or anything (maybe a bit of photography but not much). Now every time i go out each night, I have a new found sense of respect for just about everything. It’s a very odd phenomenon, especially if you know how skeptical and pessimistic I can be.
I think the heaviest albatross that fell from my neck was the desire to find coins out of purely monetary value. Now all I can think of when I dig a good coin or relic is, who placed this in their hands last? Was it a rich man? A thief? Or maybe just a jogger running along the sand. They may be gone but to have something tangible in my hands, validating their very existence, is what now drives me to the fullest.
R.I.P Frank

Thanks for listening and sorry for the long post,
I promise that I will post my finding's soon.

BF

Last edited:

62dold

Jan 13, 2013
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white, bounty hunter, white tresure ray,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story was intresting untill the end, Why would you want any kind of coin or any thing from this dead man? Finding a dead person would weigh heavy on my mind for eternity. I would not need a trophy.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to T Net, and yes, that's a really interesting story. I know of two guys who over the years have found bodies locally. One was a murdered woman who had been missing for months and a truck driver loading his trailer next to the pond log dump notice the gold chain on her neck shining in the murky water, wondered what it was and discovered the body. The other was a body close by a hiway off ramp. In both cases the finders were all but jailed as suspects in the murders, and the cops really gave them a bad time, hauling them in for questioning and giving the third degree. Both have said they would never turn in another body. I think you did the right thing, and thinking about the family, I believe I'd do the same, knowing the cops might give me the third degree.

OP
OP
B

BlackFish108

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2013
Greenwich CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
62 old. I absolutely could not agree more. I was at work and didn't have time to proof read this as carefully as I wanted to have. Asking for something like that would be inappropriate so i took it out the moment I read it myself back just now. Thank you all for your comments.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate finding bodies. All the paperwork and interviews really cuts down on the detecting time. Better luck in the future!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Terry on this. May I also suggest that you avoid detecting in Brooklyn, and many places in NJ, as you be tripping over bodies :tongue3:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My boss and I found a couple bodies after Hurricane Katrina when we were doing cleanup work, I have to say it was a pretty unexpected shock, even though we knew chances were good that we'd find some. The bad thing was, all we could really do was mark the location and call it in to the police and with the chaos at that time who knows how long it took to actually recover them......Definitely not something I want to find any more of.

OP
OP
B

BlackFish108

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2013
Greenwich CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, and I thought it was a rare thing, although it makes perfect sense when I think about it. Ill have to watch myself cause I tend to hunt around some places that look like mob dumps. The whole process from finding him to the time I went home was about three hours but since murder was a possibility I had I get interviewed a few times on the spot. I may have overstated how this affected me as I likely would have been just as obsessed with MDing had I not found a body considering I had just bought my VX3 the week prior.

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that I will NEVER find a body anywhere or anytime while I am detecting!!!!!

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a long time firefighter/paramedic, I can assure you that finding bodies happens more than you think.

Just imagine all of the millions and millions of people who die every year. While a great number of them will pass in a hospital or other common place, a certain percentage will fall where they stand. As you know, that could be anywhere that humans travel.

It is common for delivery drivers to find people, as well as paper boys, dog walkers, joggers, hunters (around here, these are the number 1 finders), anybody.

I find that as a nation in whole, we have an almost unhealthy idea of death. It is almost as if we COMPLETELY disregard the fact that death is just another stage of life. I find people in their 40s and 50s who have never seen a deceased person outside of a funeral.

Death has become mysterious to 99.9% of the population.

I have been with countless people as they pass away. Some were more peaceful than others, but the result was the same. Despite society sweeping it under the rug, it happens every day in every city in America. All you can do as an observer is hope the deceased found what they needed BEFORE they pass.

Godspeed,

WM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread