Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but I have used Gun Scrubber and I think it is about the same thing, ditto carbureator cleaner. Leaves 'em nice and dries in about two seconds. Monty

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
As a gun and coin collector, I can tell you that harsh solvents are a bad idea.

Try soaking dirty coins and brass in olive oil for a few days, then GENTLY wipe them clean with a soft cloth. Usually, a few olive oil baths will clean stuff up nicely.

I had given my kids some coins I had picked up at flea markets, mostly seated libs and stuff. Her nimrod new husband PUT THEM IN A ROCK TUMBLER. They are shiny now. And have no dates or mint marks.

Anyway, just my two cents. Also, a nice soaking with WD40 will get the more stubborn stuff off.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never have had any luck with olive oil. I let one old coin set and soak for 6 months, and it looked just like it did when I put it in except it was greasy. Maybe it was because I was using the slutty olive oil instead of the extra virgin? Monty

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Monty said:
I never have had any luck with olive oil. I let one old coin set and soak for 6 months, and it looked just like it did when I put it in except it was greasy. Maybe it was because I was using the slutty olive oil instead of the extra virgin? Monty

Olive oil is great stuff. I used it for just about everything, not just kitchen stuff. Bertoli is good, and Filipo Berrio is good as well. Even if you are buying walmart special, always get the extravirgin. The other stuff is just plain old vegetable oil with a bit of low grade olive oil mixed in.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ready for an olive oil story? Well, I'm going to tell it anyway. :D
When I was stationed in Lubbock , Texas in the Air Force I was a strapping 19 year old and one of the World's greatest lovers.. a legend in my own mind....I had a date with a very attractive girl that I had been cultivating a relationship with for several months. She finally consented to go out with me which was probably a mistake on her part, so she was indeed flawed even though I couldn't see it. Anyway, I was getting dressed and ran out of hair tonic. Hair tonic is that greasy kid stuff all the guys use to wear to slick their hair down, for you youngsters who probably never even heard of it. It was Wild Root Cream Oil or something as silly sounding I'm sure. Back to the story. I ran out of it and had a small bottle of olive oil for who knows whatever reason. I don't have a clue what I was doing with a bottle of olive oil, but I came by it honestly, I think. So, I took note that it was kinda' oily and didn't have an odor , so I thought why not, and proceeded to rub it sparingly into my hair. Wow, it worked great! All my split ends and cowlicks laid down as slick as a whistle and I admired my handsome self in the mirror. Well, it was summer time and very hot that night and finally I got that little sweet thing alone at the local lovers lane. After a few moments of grappling, fondling and passionate kissing, she suddenly recovered her senses and went cold as a cucumber, scooting all the way over to the far side of the car. She asked me to take her home and although disappointed I supposed I was doing OK and it was those darn mosquito's buzzing about our heads that made her uncomfortable. So, I took her home, got a sister-like peck on the cheek and was never able to get a date with her again.
So I drove back to the barracks that night dismayed at what I had done wrong, knowing that I was the world's greatest lover and a legend in my own mind, as I have said before. And those darn mosquito's were bad everywhere tonight, even at the barracks when I got back. I went into the day room to watch TV as it was still early and after a while one of the guys remarked about what was that terrible smell? And those darn mosquito's were bad, swirling around my head even inside. Finally one of the guys asked me why those flies were buzzing around my head? Flies? I thought they were mosquito's! So I went to the bathroom to see what was going on and on passing several of the guys in the hallway, the wrinkled up their noses and shied away from me. To bring this story to some kind of end as it is getting too long.....I discovered that the olive oil had turned rancid in the heat and the flies were trying to make a meal of my hair. It happend so gradually over the evening that I couldn't smell it. But everyone else could! That poor girl, she must have thought I smelled like a wart hog and I did I guess. So even though you may be the worlds greatest lover and a legend in your own mind, never put olive oil on your hair when it's over 80 degrees. It really puts a kink in your love life that's for sure! ::) Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty that is an excellent story. Brings back memories too.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
LOL! Monte you crack me up. Guess what, I was stationed at Reese AFB back in 86 before the big close. Small world ain't it?

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Dont use it as hair grease. But you can use it as an eco and latex friendly sexual lubricant. I told you that I use it for just about everything ;D

OP
OP
bill gent

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Oh Im sorry did u say something Monte kiddin

should have used some brill cream a little dab will do ya

I usually put olive oil or cod liver oil in the dogs food good nice coat

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang it Mr. gent, sorry I hijacked your post but I can't help myself. Seems like when you become an old fart everything reminds one of a story. Which in itself reminds me of.......never mind! Monty

T

TreasureTales

Don't use the olive oil (neither virgin nor slutty) on coins. Takes too long and I'm running out of time! LOL The hydrogen peroxide isn't working either. Maybe I'll give this stuff a try. Used to just use a stiff toothbrush on them after washing them in the kitchen sink. It took off the dirt and some of the crud, but wasn't always good enough to make them acceptable at the bank. Somebody could make some big bucks if they could come up with a good, scratch-free coin cleaner.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
TreasureTales said:
Don't use the olive oil (neither virgin nor slutty) on coins. Takes too long and I'm running out of time! LOL The hydrogen peroxide isn't working either. Maybe I'll give this stuff a try. Used to just use a stiff toothbrush on them after washing them in the kitchen sink. It took off the dirt and some of the crud, but wasn't always good enough to make them acceptable at the bank. Somebody could make some big bucks if they could come up with a good, scratch-free coin cleaner.

Try Sta-Brite metal polish. It works on just about everything metal, but it does tend to leave a grey film behind.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very tiny amount of some kind of oil applied very sparingly will remove the gray film. Monty

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty that was a fly by nite story ;D

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a brass cleaner on some wheat's. Let is soak a few minutes and wiped them off and they came out very shiny. I am trying to find something easy for nickels, dimes and quarters.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
lejeuene said:
I used a brass cleaner on some wheat's. Let is soak a few minutes and wiped them off and they came out very shiny. I am trying to find something easy for nickels, dimes and quarters.
\

You want to be careful though. Cleaning some coins will actually diminish their value. Some collectors want to see how much of the original finish and lustre is left.

I learned that one the hard way. I do have some super shiny steel wheaties, though.

T

TreasureTales

Yes, there should be a distinction made between cleaning coins for vending machine use and/or turning into the banks--as opposed to merely washing coins that have any possible collectible value. Collector coins...numismatic coins...should only be washed in soap and water. Other coins--those for your own personal collection of coins or those to be spent or rolled--can be cleaned with chemical compounds. It all depends on what you want to ultimately do with the coins found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread