HELP Burlington Co NJ

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello! We need advice on what detector can do a large area fast.

My elderly neighbor is allowing us to search for & keep 2 generations of buried coins, jewelry, ect buried at multiple locations throughout her property. Her husband & father in law buried jars of stuff for decades. Probably over a century.

Its kind of a funny story. I go to her home weekly to help her out & take her shopping. I was complaining that my hubby wasted $25 on a metal detector. That's when she told me about the buried jars & said we could keep them if we find them!

She lives on about 15 acres that is mostly cleared ground. She is aware of & has watched him bury the stuff while she washed dishes.

My husband has been looking with a metal detector that he got at a yard sale for $25 but hasn't found anything. He thinks the stuff is buried deeper than what the detector can detect.

Any suggestions on what detector to buy?

Maybe some trustworthy locals could help detect?

Last edited:
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
No such detector?

ret-detector

Feb 20, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would suggest contacting Big Boy's Hobbies, or Kellyco for advice from an experienced salesperson.

Good luck searching...::thumbsup:

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for advice ret but I don't trust salesman as much as people who actually use.

Keppy its a Fisher m-scope 1212x

Thanks!

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Chris that's the problem we don't know how deep. The property was farmed when he was alive. I'm assuming that he was smart enough to dig deep enough so the farm equipment didn't unearth or break the jars.

Is there an average depth that farmers turn the soil over?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for advice ret but I don't trust salesman as much as people who actually use.

Keppy its a Fisher m-scope 1212x

Thanks!
Well that is a very good detector and will go about as deep as any VLF detector... But a PI detector will go deeper than a VLF detector so could be you want to get a PI detector....................If you think it is real deep you might want to go with a 2 box detector

Last edited:
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks keppy I'll look them up to see what they are & do.

I also don't know how big the jars are or how full?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for the advice!

I'll have my husband read up & decide what to do.

Thanks Again!

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it's below the plow line than that's about 18 in.

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks RJ!

I'm sure all of the jars are below the plow line. But I wonder how far below?

I guess any decent detector would detect a mass at 24 to 36 inches?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nope....24 to 36" is really deep for most of the equipment most of us use.Ground penetrating radar would have no trouble though.Try to rent(dont know if possible)oor hire machine with operator.sometimes ya gotta believe enough to put out a little to hit it big.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to not only look at the machine, but the coil size. In this case I'd want a min. 12" coil, and a 15" coil if you can afford both.

As far as Machines I'd look at a White's TDI SL with a 12" coil. It is pricy at $1299.95 MSRP. As someone else suggested a two-box machine might be helpful--White's model is TM 808 and is $799.95 MSRP. You wouldn't be able to pinpoint and would have to dig a fairly big hole. I've never used a two-box unit and personally would try a traditional machine with a large coil.

I'd also take a serious look at a White's MXT Pro and get a 15" MXT Max Search Coil to go along with it.

If you do find it, I hope that despite her offer, you share it with her. Good luck!

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Mz for the advice!

I got a private message to check out http://www.accuratelocators.com pulse induction.

They have a demo detector that is priced less but still expensive. It has a large square coil & other coils.

Being that there are numerous jars that were buried it may be worth it to spend the money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
My hubby doesn't want to spend to buy a pulse induction from accurate locators unless it can be used to find other similar quantities of items.

My neighbor said that her husband buried at least 1 jar a year for over 50 years plus an unknown number of jars buried by his Father.

I think that is enough to justify the purchase but he is insisting on using it elsewhere to find something significant. I hate him sometimes! Lol!

Can anyone point me to something on this forum that is within driving distance & may be interested in using the accurate pi to help find whatever they are looking for?

Any help is appreciated!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My hubby doesn't want to spend to buy a pulse induction from accurate locators unless it can be used to find other similar quantities of items.

My neighbor said that her husband buried at least 1 jar a year for over 50 years plus an unknown number of jars buried by his Father.

I think that is enough to justify the purchase but he is insisting on using it elsewhere to find something significant. I hate him sometimes! Lol!

Can anyone point me to something on this forum that is within driving distance & may be interested in using the accurate pi to help find whatever they are looking for?

Any help is appreciated!

If time is short, then that is your best bet for a truly successful hunt. Using the kind of equipment
needed to locate objects over 3' deep requires experience. Finding a member here that has that
experience would benefit you greatly. Not that you couldn't find a cache yourselves, but to find
numerous ones you'll need some one with the experience to know what that machine is telling them.

Whatever you do, please, please don't call anyone named Savage!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread