How to identify American Brilliant Period Cut Glass

EmptyPockets

Mar 16, 2013
Near Stockton California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold & Pro Pointer & Whites Prism II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really not sure of the best place to post this mini-tutorial, hence posting in the General Discussion Forum. Please move as appropriate.

How to identify genuine American Brilliant Cut Glass

This little how to identify ABC is not all inclusive, rather I want to show you some of the characteristics of ABC. Check out the link from Brilliant Glass to read more. I thought it would be helpful to see images of real and reproduction.

1. Look for a company marking such as Hawkes or other company such as Libbey, Bergen, Alford and etc....

2. The glass will be very clear when looking through an uncut section. There will be no distortions of images when looking through the clear section.

3. Glass cutters of that time will use an abrasive wheel. Look for Non-parallel abrasions. The cutter will then buff the glass to smooth out the cuts.

4. A signature his highly counterfeited. If there is a cutters signature, then look at the piece very closely. Counterfeit signatures are electro-penciled. Real signatures are acid etched. Rub your fingernail across the signature: real etched and smooth, forged will catch your fingernail.

5. Us a long wave length light in a dark room. Real ABC will have a yellow-green hue. Reproductions have a pink hue.

You can find detailed identifying characteristics at this website:
How to Tell American Brilliant P

Examples from my own collection of real and counterfeit American Brilliant Cut glass:

First, the real deal with a possible forged signature. I say possible because I’m not sure.

T.G. Hawkes Mustard Jar.
Bought for $19.

ABCMustardJar_zpsbecd2463.jpg

The Hawkes Company Marking.

HawkesMarking_zps9cc34349.jpg

Close-up of the Hawkes etching.

Hawkescloseup_zps9bfac10a.jpg

Cutting wheel abrasions not parallel. I used software to overmark some of the cuts with a white line. You should see them easily.

[
ABCcuts_zps64bc486d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
EmptyPockets

EmptyPockets

Mar 16, 2013
Near Stockton California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On to the modern reproduction.

This is a small Berry Bowl.

This piece was cut with a diamond wheel. When you look closely at the cuts, you can see that the abrasions are parallel and have been acid etched. I bought the piece for $3 so it wasn’t being sold as ABC. The piece is very beautiful and well done otherwise.

NotABC_zps5a22b96a.jpg

The edges of the cuts are rounded from the acid bath. You can see where I penciled over the parallel grooves so you can easily see them. Real ABC will have a sharp edge on the cut grooves.

Etchanddiamondcut_zps2344b486.jpg

Another example; note the parallel abrasive grooves from a Diamond Wheel. This photo is of a larger cut compared to the prior image.

Diamondcut_zps1931639b.jpg

crazyfish

Jul 20, 2010
Interesting, Thanks for posting that. I had always knew there was a quality difference between some glassware, but you just opened my eyes.

OP
OP
EmptyPockets

EmptyPockets

Mar 16, 2013
Near Stockton California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a UV light to identify American Brilliant Period Cut Glass

The light I used is made by Inova. You can find them on the internet for around 30 FRN's. That is $30 for those that believe the dollar is all powerful. :hello:

IMG_1127_zpsfc52fb8e.jpg

Here is a picture of the bowl in the first posts that is a reproduction. Notice that the UV light shows a blue color.
Essentially just a reflection of the UV light.

IMG_1120_zpse3274b97.jpg

Here is another example. This is a shot glass stopper for a small decanter.
Again, reflections of the UV Light.

IMG_1123_zps1a9aed49.jpg

OP
OP
EmptyPockets

EmptyPockets

Mar 16, 2013
Near Stockton California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a UV Light shining on the real deal!
Note the lime-green color.

This photo is of the mustard jar in the first posts.

IMG_1121_zpsdccd1ef8.jpg

Another view of the UV Light close to the knob on the lid. Wow! Lime-Green big time.

IMG_1122_zpsbbb2e687.jpg

I have a beautiful decanter in the background of the flashlight picture.
Placing the light on the stopper, you can see the beautiful lime-green color again.

IMG_1125_zpse051c99c.jpg

Why is all of this important?

For all you garage sale and thrift shop goers, a little knowledge will take you a long ways!
The items in my collection cost me about 30-40 FRN's ($30-$40). Their value totals well over $1500! (1500 FRN's)

FRN = Federal Reserve Note. The US dollar.

Matesich

May 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is wonderful! I'm just learning about American Brilliant Cut glass after having bought my mother-in-law a piece and, now, having found a celery dish at a yard sale that I wonder about. This is the best explanation I have found! I'm still trying to puzzle out whether my yard sale find is abp. I think I need to invest in a uv light as you suggest. image.jpg

Matesich

May 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It has some bubbles in the glass and one tiny white oval-shaped spot...not sure if that helps to determine anything? I'm having trouble telling whether cut lines are parallel and uniform or not. Will try to look again with a magnifying glass soon.

Last edited:

tbaker61

Apr 20, 2017
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so glad I found this. My mother in law left me some beautiful cut glass that I had admired for years. I'd never part with it but always wondered if it had any value to it. I'd hate to pass it down not knowing and have who knows what happen to it.
First I must invest in one of these lights.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, this is extremely helpful to me! I look forward to more tutorials! I enjoy the diamond lace bohemian glass which seems simular. Hopefully I will have a piece of ABC now that I know a little more about it. Great post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread