Found an Oldie detector

P

paultek6

Being a newbie in metal detecting and using an ace 250. I have run across a gentleman selling a Compass Goldstar 1000. Looking for any opinions on this older detector such as would it be considered an upgrade detector or better than the ace 250. I have the chance of buying it for $150.00 .
Also any opinions on pin pointers fisher or garrett

aWaredetector

Feb 25, 2013
massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Garrett pro pinpointer. Couldn't live without it now that I have it.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the garrett pro pointer is top notch....the older compass machine at 150?I dunno...I believe I would stick with your 250.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Propointer is top notch. Couldn't hunt without it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
1.jpg ..This was my Compass ....Go to the compass forum ,.. www.compassmetaldetectorforum.548136.n2.nabble.com ....... You will see my Compass that i have in the picture in the top line of pictures in the middle...

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Be sure you can get batteries for the detector. I know nothing about that brand of detector, but I had an old Whites BFO that a person wouldn't be able to buy a battery for today.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just looked they were just down the street from white's in sweet home Oregon

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
just looked they were just down the street from white's in sweet home Oregon
Yes and guess what liftloop.... They were not First Texas..And liftloop the picture of that Compass detector in the Compass forum was my very own compass.....

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy it probably was an engineer that retired from white's to go on his own
that's why the detector was so good

liftloop

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1000 was the top of the line for the Gold Stars as I remember. It's going to be a lot heavier than your 250, and the Discrim is a lot different, but it still should be a good machine.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy it probably was an engineer that retired from white's to go on his own
that's why the detector was so good

liftloop
lift...... You know that is funny but as far as i know not true.........

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keppy you wouldn't know a good detector if it beeped in front of you
lol

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
keppy you wouldn't know a good detector if it beeped in front of you
lol
liftloop.... you mean all those detectors were to beep.......... When they went beep i thought they were broke and sent them in for repair ..... Now you tell me they were to beep........ You will never know how much i paid in shipping cost over the years trying to get those detectors to stop beeping

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy your the best

OP
OP
P

paultek6

Follow up on the Compass. The gentleman is holding strong at $150.00 cant get em to budge on dropping price . He compares it to todays modern detectors but doesnt realize its old ,may be hard and expensive to get fixed if it takes a dump and doesnt even have manual for it . Keep yall informed
Paul

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Follow up on the Compass. The gentleman is holding strong at $150.00 cant get em to budge on dropping price . He compares it to todays modern detectors but doesnt realize its old ,may be hard and expensive to get fixed if it takes a dump and doesnt even have manual for it . Keep yall informed
Paul
But like i said keith does work on them and could have a manual for it..... www.brokendetector.com .. Or go into the compass forum i put up for you in a earlier post and in the search box type in .. gold star 1000 and you will find a lot of info on that detector......

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an early model seiko digital watch.Paid good money for it.It is dam pretty.It keep decent time.It has no value now.It is heavy.It burns through batteries.cant shut off the very loud hourly chime.

Yup nice watch...just cant use it anymore.:dontknow:my new watch cost me less,works better and longer.I like the options.and its dam pretty and keeps excellent time.

sound familiar?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an early model seiko digital watch.Paid good money for it.It is dam pretty.It keep decent time.It has no value now.It is heavy.It burns through batteries.cant shut off the very loud hourly chime.

Yup nice watch...just cant use it anymore.:dontknow:my new watch cost me less,works better and longer.I like the options.and its dam pretty and keeps excellent time.

sound familiar?
I know what you mean..... My self i sold my compass ... And i am a lot more happy with the new modern brand's of detectors ......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread