Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if I comment are you gonna be mean to me again?

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now how did I know you would show up? Naw I'll be nice,I've already wrassled a few times today.

S

stefen

I try my Huckleberry Finn imitation...and let someone else do the diggin (and sweatin):laughing7:

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a good tip!

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two pieces of equipment I use with success tn o get the job done and get it done clean is to use the following. A Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel and a kitchen sized towel. I cut a plug as wide as the shovel blade on all sides....and as as deep. if you can. Remove the plug carefully... check it with your machine. If the target is in the plug.... then work the end of the plug by the end of the hole so that the excess dirt falls in the hole and test with your pinpointer.. use your digger to shave off 1" with your digger until you get a signal with with your pointer while letting the shavings fall into the hole. Any overburden soil you dig out of the hole should be placed on the towel. This way you can funnel the loose soil back into the hole first before replacing the plug. Once the plug is replaced.... step on it with both feet and "work the plug into place". This last part takes practice.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now how did I know you would show up? Naw I'll be nice,I've already wrassled a few times today.

ok i'll take that as a hint i'm creeping you out. but i didn't mean to

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The most valueable tip I can think of at the moment is learn to use the "pinpointing" capability of your detector. Saves lots of time and sharpens your technique. Pinpointing means (in part) learning how to do a 90 degree "step" while pinpointing a target. If you need a refresher on the 90 degree thing, just ask. TTC

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long handled steel garden trowel. Trowel part is six inches deep by four inches wide and the handle is 12 inches long. It's tall enough where I can dig by giving it a kick with my foot, but light enough so I can carry it in one hand while I'm hunting. Paid something like twenty bucks for it and it will last longer than me.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the responses and Lakemonster your method does seem very efficient and clean. Susan I have a shorter trowel but would definitely invest in one that is longer. I basically just drag a shovel behind me with one hand as the little garden trowels are murder on small hands. Jeff-Gordon we're good. You'll know soon enough if you hack me off.:tongue3:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For my hand held sand scoop I attached a heavy-duty brass clip to the handle. I clip it to my belt loop until needed.

Oh and for land...I'm considering getting an explosives permit like those dudes on Swamp Hunters. Not quite sure how I'll neatly refill the hole though....

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't cut plugs at all anymore. I can pinpoint dead on and have never used a handheld pinpointer ever.
I carry a really big screwdriver and pop up any shallow finds.
If it's deep, I cut a straight slit and lift up the grass on either side of the slit. Then I pry up the soil always to the very edge of hole as to not scratch the target.
When I'm done, I put all the soil back and push the grass back to normal. You will never tell I dug there and the grass does not die.
I do carry a small shovel out relic hunting but still use the screwdriver for 90 percent of my targets even in plowed fields and bushes.
It's more intimate as I can see non-metal objects in my hole like arrow heads or beads because I'm going slower and only prying up a little at a time.
This method also gives the back much needed rest as it's a good stretch when you kneel over the hole.
I do not kill tree roots either and the screwdriver works good to get around them. Why should I hurt trees for my own selfish gain?
When the ground is rock hard, the only thing that penetrates is a screwdriver.
The only place I don't use it is at the beach but otherwise, it's my main tool.
Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't cut plugs at all anymore. I can pinpoint dead on and have never used a handheld pinpointer ever.
I carry a really big screwdriver and pop up any shallow finds.
If it's deep, I cut a straight slit and lift up the grass on either side of the slit. Then I pry up the soil always to the very edge of hole as to not scratch the target.
When I'm done, I put all the soil back and push the grass back to normal. You will never tell I dug there and the grass does not die.
I do carry a small shovel out relic hunting but still use the screwdriver for 90 percent of my targets even in plowed fields and bushes.
It's more intimate as I can see non-metal objects in my hole like arrow heads or beads because I'm going slower and only prying up a little at a time.
This method also gives the back much needed rest as it's a good stretch when you kneel over the hole.
I do not kill tree roots either and the screwdriver works good to get around them. Why should I hurt trees for my own selfish gain?
When the ground is rock hard, the only thing that penetrates is a screwdriver.
The only place I don't use it is at the beach but otherwise, it's my main tool.
Cheers,
Dave.

Great tips Dave.i don't like the idea if hurting trees un needlessly either,especially big old pretty trees that have stood sentinel for so long.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry gave a great suggestion, I never use a pin pointer. I consider that mirco-management

Also, forget the screwdriver, that could be considered a buglers tool :laughing7:

If you want a tool for shallow finds, I have the perfect one for you. A golf divot tool :headbang:

If anyone, especially a park ranger asks what you're doing, just say, "The grass has a divot and I'm repairing it". Works all the time :laughing7:

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey I like that Spartacus!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey I like that Spartacus!
Spart, there is actually a tool that is similar to a golf divot tool. It has a plunger in it and has two handles at the sides. Once the tool has the plug, you push the plunger, putting the rest of the clod back in the hole. TTC

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the responses and Lakemonster your method does seem very efficient and clean. Susan I have a shorter trowel but would definitely invest in one that is longer. I basically just drag a shovel behind me with one hand as the little garden trowels are murder on small hands. Jeff-Gordon we're good. You'll know soon enough if you hack me off.:tongue3:

my plan is to not find the line. I'll just lay low and keep my head down.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tools n Methods

Like Terry I pinpoint the target well so the coil is as close to centered to the target as I can get it. Keeping the coil centered to the target I lean over with a pointed wooden stick and poke it into the ground through the center hole in the coil, thus marking the target. Or if I am using a solid coil I hold the pointed stick over the center of the coil, gently swing the coil to one side and place the marker stick

From this point on I lay the detector down, I'm on my knees and I use a 1/8" diameter dull pointed brass rod to poke the ground to search out the target. I use the depth indication on the readout to help determine how far down to plunge the brass rod. Frequently I can find the target in three pokes into the ground. I then widen the top of the poke hole by swinging the probe at a low angle . I can now get a finger into the hole and with the probe can pull the target out. The detector is still on so I can hear the threshold signal (wireless headphones) and many times when the probe contacts the target the detector will sound off.

Note here: ground with small rocks is hard to probe for targets as you do not know when you've hit a rock or the target. One night I had a good signal (gold) but the ground had tiny rocks in it, after about 45 minutes I pulled the gold tooth crown out of the ground. An electronic pinpointer would have been really nice but they were 10 years away from being on the market. With the target out the dirt/grass is pushed back into place, maybe add a foot stomp and the target site looks like the rest of the yard............63bkpkr

Word of caution about the brass probe - when doing a great deal of probing the dull point becomes sharpened and can scratch good coins and/or will poke holes in ones finger. I have my probe screwed into a handle making it a 'T' shaped tool that would be very effective as a protective device should I be approached by undesireables, FYI. Yes, I have lots of little poke hole scars on my main probing finger.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread