Where to Start

JimmyTheHand

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First post and yup...a noob. While I haven't done a search, my question is this. I found the foundations of a house and barn on state land. This time of year was best as the snow is gone and no leaves or tall grass to hide them. Hmmm, starting to ramble. Any ways, where would I start my search? Around or near the foundations? Back behind the barn ( of which there is a low swale and perhaps a trash site where old bottles could be found. At any rate, any and all tips from you seasoned pros would be appreciated.

My daughter and I will be exploring a bit more and I'll take my camera and post some pics just to give and idea of what I'm looking at.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! Start around the house foundation where you think the doors may have been. Sample different areas by gridding 10-foot x 10-foot squares. Take your time and have a great time with your Daughter!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum and good luck. Sounds like you have already answered some your questions. Yes around foundations is a great place to hunt as well as depressions in the earth that might indicate a trash pit. Can't wait to see what you and your daughter find.:)

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good place too try out your detector but let me tell you! your going to be picking up a lot of iron signals more then likely all around so mainly if you can try and hunt slow and listen for the good signals, I dont know what else more to say for you being new but after a couple hours you will get the hang of it ! Good luck. :occasion14:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! :wave:

What state or area are you? A lot of midwest and western states get a lot of blown in overburden, so it pays to go slow and listen to those faint tones. When there is moisture in the ground you will have a better chance of picking up those deeper signals. Try and find the water source, and check out the area between it and the house. See if you can find the old clothes line and check under and around it. Concentrate your search around any old trees dead or alive near any buildings. If you can find the outhouse, check out the area between it and the house also.
Just a few, and Good Luck!

OP
OP
J

JimmyTheHand

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. old digger, I'm in Michigan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread