Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I see a lot of blurry images in the forums, so I thought I would post a quick tutorial.

First you need a DECENT digital camera. Notice I did not say expensive. You will also need a tripod. I use a $9.99 model and it works just fine. Just make sure the camera has these important features.

1) Macro mode (for close-ups)
2) Tripod Mount
3) Self Timer
4) Manual Flash Control (to overide Auto Flash)
5) Zoom Control (optional, but recommended)

OK here are the steps to taking great photos. I prefer not to mess with white balance and other color controls. These can be adjusted on your computer after you upload your pictures.

1) Place the object you are photographing on a flat surface that will contrast with the object. I like to use a natural colored cutting board. Do not use anything reflective, smooth, or clear. It will make it difficult for the camera to focus.

2) Place the digicam on a tripod about 6 inches to two feet away from the object you are photographing.

3) Turn the cam on.

4) Place the Cam in Macro (Close-up) Mode. This is usually represented by a Tulip icon.

5) Turn OFF the flash. This is usually an icon of a flash with a circle and line through it.

6) Change the file size or quality to the low setting. This is 0.3M on the Fuji Cameras.

7) Turn on the Self Timer to avoid camera shake.

8) Zoom in to the desired focal length (If available)

9) Depress the shutter HALF WAY and hold until the camera focuses on the object. If the camera will not focus you may need to move it back a bit further, or try a different background.

10) Fully Depress the shutter button and release

11) Wait for the timer to take the photo.

This should give you sharp photos EVERY TIME!

Good Luck!

Attachments

• 2007_0102Image0005.JPG
    2007_0102Image0005.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 403
  • 2007_0102Image0005.JPG
    2007_0102Image0005.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 397

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Neil.....good advice! 8)

There is a photography board down below with some other ideas for macro photography. There are some good techniques posted in there too. :)

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked for one, but I muyst have missed it!!

Thanks!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now here is advice I needed. I was ready to give up on sharp images of some of my finds. Even if I don't post them, I like to save a pic of them for my records.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Thanks for the tips. A blurry pic is better than no pic. But a clear pic on a nice find makes for a sweet post. ;D ;D ;D

One thing that also helps if you don't have a tripod or want to fuss with some of the other stuff - use LOTS of LIGHT. 400 Watts or more usually will do the trick. This will allow you to hold the camera(faster shutter speed) without blurring. I also like to use light at various angles because it creates "mood" or adds a certain effect that you don't get from a straight shot.

BTW - nice V nickel. Found my first about a week ago.

Mirage

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best pics come outside in natural sunlight with a black background. You have to be careful about where your shadow falls though. Monty

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hold a Maglite flashlight [the kind that takes 4 C cells] in my left hand and take the picture with the camera in my right hand. I hold the flashlight at different angles and then pick the best pic to post.
Good advice on getting a tripod. I will buy one and get sharper pics no doubt.

manscamp

Jan 8, 2007
Pa.
Detector(s) used
spectrum xlt
very nice picture. i am new here and this may sound dumb but once you download a picture on your computer how do you post it here in the forum. manscamp

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
manscamp said:
very nice picture. i am new here and this may sound dumb but once you download a picture on your computer how do you post it here in the forum. manscamp

If you notice when you have the posting dialog box open, You will see a dialog box at the bottom that says "Images"
Click on the "Browse" button and click on the picture you wish to upload.

MountainFan

Greenie
Jan 24, 2007
When you take a picture of an item, it will look better on a solid background. I use a piece of black felt. This gives great contrast and the background doesn't distract from your picture. Also lets the edges come out a little sharper.

As far as lighting, I've found desk lamps work great. Just set them on either side a foot or two away. This will highlight the different textures on the coin. If the lights are creating a glare (or if you're photographing a rounded shiny object like a badge), go to Walmart and buy a cheap lamp shade. Shoot the camera down into the shade at the object with the lights on the outside of the shade. Makes an effective "photo tent" and results in great shots!

Don't be afraid to experiment though. What works for one object might not work for another.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread