What books to use as referance..?

czachary

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to get serious about chasing some legends. I know WC Jameson has lines of books for all areas of the US. Is there another author or books wrote before his first ones?

Also looking for some books on symbols and their meanings.

Where do you guys dig and do the most research? I have found some amazing things at local universities, in those rooms where you tell them what you want to see and they get it and let you look for a bit. Amazing the information that is out there but long forgotten...

Any input would be great, thanks guys!

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good morning czachary, You might try J. Frank Dobie. I've read a couple of his books and have enjoyed them. One thing I like about them, is the references listed in the back of the books. Hope this gives you another avenue to pursue.

Best of luck,
Bill

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You want to start with 'The United States Treasure Atlas. It is a 10 volume set that lists just about all treasurers that have been lost along with a list of ghost towns. The 10 volumes are soft cover 8/10 books. You can pick them up as just one volume on your area or as a set. I have a set. Some are just listings to start your search and some have small workups. It is basically the life work of Thomas P. Terry

Penfield also has some good books. I have many of his. His Lost treasure Trails has a Guide To Hidden Treasure in the United States And It's Waters in the back. It is an old book that you might be able to pick up on Amazon. I like the old books because the info in a lot of cases is original research where later info is often just copied and 'modified' to dress it up.

A great source of info is the Library Of Congress on line, although it is sometimes hard to navigate. I have pulled some great maps from there, but it takes time and perseverance.

The state GIF sites furnish land records and maps etc.

Sometimes you can just pop a suspected treasure tail into your search machine and luck out.

Good luck, Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions