A new Guys questions

jaycee7d9

Jan 8, 2007
Ok, so I think metal detecting would be fun, I didnt think it would give me a headache. I am brand new at the sport and just took my detector out for the first time today. I bought a minelab GS and I think I have the swing down correctly after reading the instructions and watching the video. Anyway, I went to a friends farm house (built in the mid 1800s) and was a bit overwelmed. A few things that I need clarified are:

1. When sweeping the coil and it blanks (target has been discrimintated against), do you continue to sweep the coil? If so, what if you go over a diggable target right by the discriminated target while it is silent?

2. Am I in a really trashy area if I seldom hear the threshold hum inbetween garbles beeps and blanks?

3. Could someone explain how you know exactly where to dig? I tried the pinpoint function but was still digging sizeable holes.

Oh, and before anyone asks, I would post some pics of my glorious finds today but I am sure you have all seen pictures of aluminum foil, old siding, nails, and misc chunks of steel.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
At the farmhouse, find a clothesline, if there is one, and search under it. You may find less junk and more treasure that has fallen out of pockets.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, don't use it like a grass whip, but sweep slowly. If it blanks fine, continue slowly. The good targets near the discriminated against is called "Target Masking," and a smaller coil helps here by only having one target under the coil at a time.

If you seldom hear the threshold hum you are in a very trashy area.

As for pinpointing help, try it with a coin on the ground where there is nothing to make the detector sound off and slowly slid the coil up to the coin and see how it acts. You may find out that the detector sounds off with the coin at the front edge,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread