ALL PAYPAL USERS

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is another scam being sent out, it looks like an offical email from Paypal.

The header says :From: The paypal team subject: Paypal team notification***

Dear paypal member,

It goes on to say u made a purchase and if u dispute this purchase click here:

the link for clicking here is active but it will take u to a false page.

If u get any mail from Paypal, right click on the header of the mail and go to properties, then details.
Look at the first line>> return path

It will be something other then paypal.

Paypal has been notified pertaining to this and the letter forwarded to them.

From what paypal informed me, during any correspondence they will call u by your member name, not by "Dear paypal member"...

Just wanted to pass this warning along.

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I got one of those Paypal scam email messages. It looks very real with the logo and everything. The reason I knew it was a scam was I don't have a Paypal account in my name or associated with the email address used. My wife has our paypal acct in her name and with her email address.

Another way I could tell it was a scam was by mousing over the link offered to dispute the supposed purchase. You would expect the link to go back to some page within www.paypal.com, but the link went to a numeric IP address like 160.58.xx.yy. I didn't click on it, but I'm sure they were phishing for information and unfortunately some people probably get sucked into the scam.

T

TreasureTales

Thanks for the heads-up. I signed up for PayPal so I could pay for my Charter Membership here on TNet. Almost immediately I started receiving spoof emails purporting to be from PayPal, and then eBay. I forwarded them all to the appropriate place, but they kept coming. It's aggravating. If people spent that much time doing some honest work, they'd probably be wealthy anyway. Vigilance, TNetters, vigilance!!

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used paypal for several years now and have been getting those e-mails. Delete them. Do not respond in any manner. If you are a PP user and PP wishes to contact you they will leave a message in your "message box" . They do not send out e-mails

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Easy way to tell is to mouse over one of the links, without clicking on it. Your browser, usually in the lower left side, will tell you where the link lead to. If it's NOT something like "http://www.paypal.com/whatever/whatever" it's probably not real. NEVER click those links. You can forward the e-mail to [email protected] and they handle it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never respond to any emails from paypal or ebay.It's all on their website,all my messages that is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread