To clean and protect, or not.....

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
How do you clean and protect all of your iron finds? I have heard of electronically cleaning them, then coating with Rust X, but what is the exact procedure to make this contraption, and how is it used? How long does the item need to be in there, ect...also for cleaning brass, what is the best way? All tips and info are greatly appreciated! This is my new favorite site, and everyone has been way helpful! Here are a couple of samples...

Attachments

• clasp front.JPG
    clasp front.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 143
  • pull.JPG
    pull.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 152
  • buckle.JPG
    buckle.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 142
  • clasp front.JPG
    clasp front.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 145
  • pull.JPG
    pull.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 155
  • buckle.JPG
    buckle.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 138
T

TreasureTales

There is an entire category dedicated to Cleaning and Preservation. (You'd have to go to the HOME button and then scroll down to that particular category.) There you'll find your answers to cleaning all sorts of things. For brass, if it isn't too encrusted, you can use a common product called Brass-O.

Opinions differ as to which items and under which circumstances something should be cleaned with chemical or mechanical means. If you intend to clean things with anything other than soap and water, you might decrease the value of those things. It's nice to clean things, however, for one's own personal collection if you don't intend to sell them. Collectors are picky and don't like to buy things that have been cleaned and/or polished. There are exceptions to be sure, but not many.

Once the rust has been removed from relics (if you choose to do that), you can use any number of preservatives and paints. My choice is stove black because it's easy to apply and produces a uniform and satiny surface...a black surface.

OP
OP
Baggins

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Thanks a ton for the info! I am sure at some point I will come across some things I do not want to sell, but for now, it would be nice to just practice on a few items...

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
there's a great electrolysis thread if you scroll through the list far enough. I think it's been posted by Michigan Badger a time or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread