Cemeteries . . . .

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
Recently I have noted a few post where people have found or located older hidden away cemeteries, which I find utterly fascinating :o but it also got me thinking. . got me curious . . . ???

when you or anyone come across an older cemetery. . . one that is hidden away with trees/shrubbers. . have you contacted any Genealogist Societies/Clubs/Organiziations?
I was just thinking that if they are not aware of the Cemetery, the Grave Markers may be able to assist many people who are doing research on their ancestors.

See, my thought is. . . when any of us find hidden & forgotten items in a great sense we are preserving History. . . and these forgotten/neglected/hidden cemeteries are kinda doing the same. . .

just my goofy :-\ way of thinking . . .​

Bogart :D

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I agree that the location should be noted along with any information that you may find and give this information to the right people.
When I was prospecting near Leadhill Ark for silver bearing galena ore I can across 3 grave sites way back in the hills. These graves were from the Civil War and and the small head stone contained the name of the person that was buried along with the date of their deaths. There was a big CSA carved in the stone. I turned all the INFORMATION/PHOTOS that I had over the CSA cementary people in Fayetteville Ark.
I was back in this area about a year later and noticed that the area had been cleaned and a small rock wall was around the 3 grave sites.
Somebody cared.
Peg Leg

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I've never thought about it in that way Bogart. It is the decent thing to do. I'll keep that in mind. Your right, we are preserving history.

Nice Job, Peg Leg.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is the 11th post like this in months >:( >:( >:( >:(
just rent a back hoe >:( >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread