Counterfeit Metal Detectors

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

This photograph caught my eye the other day.

A Garrett metal detector, put together like Dr. Frankenstein's monster, like Bizarro, with most of the parts but just put together crazily. The control box upside down, the coil cord running directly from the coil to the control box, instead of being wrapped around the rod.

Turns out this is a counterfeit Garrett, made in China. And some of these fakes have found their way into the United States.

Here's the story.

Listen at In the Corner with Dan Hughes.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan your the best love the pod casts
My white's 5900 battery door on the in side there a list of patents protecting them in U.K Mexico, Australia 4 in Canada

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres actually a big thing on minelabs website about counterfeit minelabs being sold online.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I didn't think their would be enough money to be made counterfeiting metal detectors.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No respect for patents. I saw a pic yesterday of counterfeit Square-D circuit breakers. Even counterfeit drugs are popping up- great. I guess if you buy the cheaper detector with the label upside down you have it coming.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes there have been some White's V3is counterfeited. So buy from your local dealer or White's or Kellyco. If you see a price on the internet that is too low be suspicious.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for the T2 counterfeits - China has invaded the US market with those too.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no worries on the T2 here

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A whole shipment (truck/container?) of Minelab GPX 4500 went missing, stolen. Aug of 2012..their website has the serial numbers....must be hundreds on the market, real, but HOT! I would say they are scattered all over the planet by now, maybe some right in the outback of Ausieland...humming away

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A whole shipment (truck/container?) of Minelab GPX 4500 went missing, stolen. Aug of 2012..their website has the serial numbers....must be hundreds on the market, real, but HOT! I would say they are scattered all over the planet by now, maybe some right in the outback of Ausieland...humming away

I think I found where they went! These guys are flooding the detecting sites with spam trying to get people to fall for the BS

>>> metal detectors - metal detecting - metal detecting finds

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most do not realize how illegal counterfeits are. It is the same crime, same jail time, as counterfeiting money. To make one is a crime, to sell one is a crime, to buy one is a crime, to own one is a crime, to ship one is a crime, all serious crime in most the free world. Authentic manufactures have already been the victims of these thieves to the point to have significantly influenced the future of the industry. In USA getting involved with counterfeiting, everything used in the commission of the crime can be confiscated and sold at auction to pay restitution to the authentic manufacture. That includes real estate, autos, bank accounts etc. It is not an equal for equal thing, a $200 detector can cost one hundreds of thousands. Not knowing is the same as pleading guilty. With one authentic manufacture indicating 50 million in losses in one years time, expect no legal/financial breaks from authentic manufactures, expect to be made an example of, expect to be considers and treated like a thief, that is exactly what it is... theft. The law sees the buyer as the driving force behind these types of crimes and thus the buyer is just as guilty as the counterfeit seller and the counterfeit maker. 100% of adults know a $800. device doesn't go on sale for $150.

If you do see a counterfeit keep in mind it is stolen property. One doesn't want to receive stolen property, one does not want to own stolen property, one doesn't want to sell stolen property, one doesn't want stolen property on or within their property.

Last edited:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most do not realize how illegal counterfeits are. It is the same crime, same jail time, as counterfeiting money. To make one is a crime, to sell one is a crime, to buy one is a crime, to own one is a crime, to ship one is a crime, all serious crime in most the free world. Authentic manufactures have already been the victims of these thieves to the point to have significantly influenced the future of the industry. In USA getting involved with counterfeiting, everything used in the commission of the crime can be confiscated and sold at auction to pay restitution to the authentic manufacture. That includes real estate, autos, bank accounts etc. It is not an equal for equal thing, a $200 detector can cost one hundreds of thousands. Not knowing is the same as pleading guilty. With one authentic manufacture indicating 50 million in losses in one years time, expect no legal/financial breaks from authentic manufactures, expect to be made an example of, expect to be considers and treated like a thief, that is exactly what it is... theft. The law sees the buyer as the driving force behind these types of crimes and thus the buyer is just as guilty as the counterfeit seller and the counterfeit maker. 100% of adults know a $800. device doesn't go on sale for $150.

If you do see a counterfeit keep in mind it is stolen property. One doesn't want to receive stolen property, one does not want to own stolen property, one doesn't want to sell stolen property, one doesn't want stolen property on or within their property.

Thanks showard! This is an older thread,but it is good to have brought back up especially at this time of year with lots of folks looking to buy!!

battles

Sep 16, 2015
Tx
Detector(s) used
Gamma 6000, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just found some counterfeit pull tabs in the ground this morning! I know they were fake because they were free!

Last edited:

battles

Sep 16, 2015
Tx
Detector(s) used
Gamma 6000, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah me too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread