Tissue test for sliver

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had never heard of this. Would this work with those silver rings that are not marked?

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I had never heard of this. Would this work with those silver rings that are not marked?

It should, even if it is plated :(

I'm following up this thread with a response in the other thread where he felt it didn't work for 40%

Actually, I never used this on 40% silver. Back in my younger days sitting in a bar after work, I'd feel the impulse and pull out my pocket change, set it on the table and throw a tissue over it. Quick check to see if i'd gotten lucky during the day. Even in the very dim light of a bar room setting, it worked

Try it on some 90% coins.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tissue like kleenex tissues? or the kind used around wrapped presents?

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
tissue like kleenex tissues? or the kind used around wrapped presents?

The thicker the tissue, the lessened effect. I even used bar napkins and they worked. Give it a try if you have some silver laying around. I'd imagine paper towels are probably too think. The last time I tried it I used toilet paper. Doesn't spotlight on you, but shows through as WHITE for sure versus dark for clad.

Shawn1972

Mar 26, 2013
Oneida Lake NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 - hoping to own a few more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looking at the date has worked well for me,plus I'd rather not be sitting on the toilet wishing I had never read this tip. :censored:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just hope WHEN I find silver, I can remember this, lol! Thanks for the tip.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Old Dude, you and me both.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what the tissue test results will look like.

Determining if a Coin is Silver or Clad

"Here's one way to tell the difference between a silver coin and a clad coin. Lay a single ply of facial tissue over the coin and check the color that shows through. Below is a silver Kennedy half dollar on the left and a clad one on the right."

silver-clad-tissue-test.jpg

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop a handful of change on the table and ill here the silver hit while upstairs poopin

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I just discovered this recently. I was googling for a link to post and found one from this site. I have been buying some silver proof sets and had the sudden fear that someone could have opened the plastic and replaced with clad proofs. This test works great, but only shows silver on the surface. For testing my proof sets it is invaluable. I also broke open one set as carefully as possible to see how it would look, and found it breaks a small amount of plastic out of the set (at least when I did it, which fell out like plastic powder). After putting the set back together it will show as "bubbles" around the "rims" of the plastic case. So of course I tested all my sets with the tissue test and looking at the plastic cases. I found one set that had the bubbles and appeared to have been opened, but the coins were still silver. Maybe the person opened the set to dip the coins since some of these sets have toning coins in them.

Here is a link showing how this tissue tests works. F'n amazing!

Detecting fraudulent clad proof coin swap into silver proof sets | Coin Talk

Jim

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep silver when dropped has a higher pitch in sound, same with the detector over silver, higher pitch.
Think I will try the tissue test. Now if they come up with one that simple for gold that would be great!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree a simple test for gold would be great and a more distinct detector sound

StevenHayes76

Jul 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put base on your arm, yes your wife's makeup, wipe the suspected gold metal across the spot with base, if it leaves a lead pencil looking line, it's gold

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
The tissue is an interesting trick. I'll have to try it. For coins though, the dates ought to provide enough information. (If it's not a coin that I'm familiar with, my phone and the internet should be able to clear that up.)

Think I will try the tissue test. Now if they come up with one that simple for gold that would be great!

The simple test is to just pick it up and toss it in your hand. If it looks like gold and the weight gets your attention, it's worth further investigation. Gold is heavy.

Jul 7, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does not work on tarnished silver

I realized in another thread that maybe a lot of users are not aware of tissue testing for silver.

I thought the world had forgotten about tissue testing!

For the ones who never heard of this, you take a bunch of coins flat on a table, cover them with tissue paper. Clads go DARK, and silver shines like a beacon :)

Test it out! It works great.

Title

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread