Totaly new at this

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
greetings forum!I'm a total newbie to this(treasure hunting)I bought a bounty hunter II recently(to get my feet wet)is this a good detector?I'm looking to see if there are any laws or rules I need to follow before I go out there.I dont want any trouble!I live on Long Island in New York.I tried to search the net but came up empty handed.I found this site this morning and I must say this is the place I need to start!Anything you can tell me would be great.Thanks,Gerald

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never detected much in NY. I suggest you check with the various park departments or DNR for your state for rules on metal detecting.

Your BH II is a starter detector for sure, but with practice you will find a good lot. About everyone that uses BH's wants to move up to other machines. I mainly only like to do the water and beaches now so my choice of detectors is different.
Welcome to the forum and hobby Gerald. Move around the forum and learn all you can. Ask questions and we will try to answer them.

HH,
Sandman

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum, you'll sure learn a lot here! Looking forward to pic of your finds...congrats on the new machine and good luck!

HH/NS

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard gtl, theres a great group of folks here.

OP
OP
gtlfindings

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
Wow thanks for the replies.I did't think I'd get any.the reason i bought a cheaper unit was because I just wanted to check the hobby out.I got it on clearance 82.00 with tax.any how I think i may start out detecting in my yard.When i bought it there was pennies and stuff on the drive way (the first owner was a packrat) so hopefully I will learn from that.Thanks again for the comments.By the way my username is my seller id on Ebay.I usually have some interesting items listed.Will be back again!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
gtlfindings said:
Wow thanks for the replies.I did't think I'd get any.the reason i bought a cheaper unit was because I just wanted to check the hobby out.I got it on clearance 82.00 with tax.any how I think i may start out detecting in my yard.When i bought it there was pennies and stuff on the drive way (the first owner was a packrat) so hopefully I will learn from that.Thanks again for the comments.By the way my username is my seller id on Ebay.I usually have some interesting items listed.Will be back again!!

thats a good reason to buy an entry level machine. this hobby isnt for everyone,and you dont want to dump a ton of money into a machine, if youre not sure if youre gonna enjoy it. if you take your time and learn that bounty hunter as best you can you should find some really cool stuff! it will amaze you how much change is in the ground! good luck with it! i hope this hobby is for you, and you stick with it and find some great stuff to post! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions