Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Is all cheap detectors, Junk

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    WP

May 2012
    3132 times
    So all , what's in his range that will deal with iron?. Because i,ve been using it i,d try my 350 without hesitation. While i can knock out alot of iron,without trying in his area ground balance still bugs my suggesting same model,mine being automatic. Justin looking for spills or drops it seems like.

Is that applause i hear Diesel and Dusty? L.o.l.. oh look ,a bottle cap!
    Last edited by releventchair; Apr 17, 2013 at 07:48 PM.

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    364 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I got out today for 2 hours with the ace350 and im not going to count the bottle caps i have piled up in my junk bag but id say theres aleast 20 of them.....i found 14 cents and around 20 caps at my frist location and got sick of it went to an old hunted out spot i have been pounding and pulled a silver dime was very few signals there much easier then digging bottle caps hours on end
    Im not crazy......my mother had me tested

Charter Member
    us
    Moving forward! "WP"

Jun 2011
    Mid Coast Maine, Central Florida
    Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
    2684 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    So all , what's in his range that will deal with iron?. Because i,ve been using it i,d try my 350 without hesitation. While i can knock out alot of iron,without trying in his area ground balance still bugs my suggesting same model,mine being automatic. Justin looking for spills or drops it seems like.

Is that applause i hear Diesel and Dusty? L.o.l.. oh look ,a bottle cap!
    LOL! Again I think if his budget is $400 then he should buy a used upper end machine. He will be way happier in the end and likely will not loose much money if he was to trade it in.
    Restore Freedom and get us out of the UNITED NATIONS NOW!!!!!!
    NOT a member of the recipient class...

us
    Oct 2010
    eastern wa
    minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
    662 times
    Watch it jeff! I love my minelab.
    jeff of pa, liftloop and CoilyGirl like this.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

May 2012
    3132 times
    I can cherry pick and duck most,not all caps. Am willing to dig them a while where i hunt regular.
    If i could trade a couple units in i could see running a minelab down the road. Content for now,usually.
    getting Justins hands on a variety of used with knowledgeable user(s) would go far.
    What i think he is wanting it for a lot of units will cover,its what he might want out of it farther on that makes amount of investment important.

Jeff,the garrett ace series are multi bell tones. At times capable of an interesting medley!
    Last edited by releventchair; Apr 17, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
    dieselram94 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Moving forward! "WP"

Jun 2011
    Mid Coast Maine, Central Florida
    Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
    2684 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    I can cherry pick and duck most,not all caps. Am willing to dig them a while where i hunt regular.
    If i could trade a couple units in i could see running a minelab down the road. Content for now,usually.
    getting Justins hands on a variety of used with knowledgeable user(s) would go far.
    What i think he is wanting it for a lot of units will cover,its what he might want out of it farther on that makes amount of investment important.

Jeff,the garrett ace series are multi bell tones. At times capable of an interesting medley!
    The one time I used a ace detector the machine was giving multiple tones on the same target. It sounded like a kids electric piano...All tones going off. I don't like noise and so this really bugged me. My opinion of the ace detectors was set right then and there. But it is just my opinion and worth just what you all paid for it
    Restore Freedom and get us out of the UNITED NATIONS NOW!!!!!!
    NOT a member of the recipient class...

Charter Member
    us
    WP

May 2012
    3132 times
    Thanks,now i will have to concentrate on not hearing a piano! On occasion i turn the headphones down. I did miss hearing the noon whistle yesterday,the only hole in the rain for what looks like an all most two week period,so that's good. Got a couple extra hours in. I have a couple 350s,they are well worth the cost to me. Lots of hours helps. All ways like trying others though, we know where that leads eventually. Unlike some, ummm significant others you can have more than one favorite and not get in trouble.

May 2005
    25 times
    From an AT Pro user: buy it if you can afford it. They can't state a price on the internet less than about $600, but you may be able to get a quote on the phone or in an e-mail for a bigger discount. Certainly if you ever saw a used one for $400 & it had the cam locks that indicate manufactured or remanufactured after the early problem units you should be fine. But I see many AT Pros on eBay going for $500-$550 used, so a new one might be a better deal from some dealers.

What I like so much about the AT Pro is it has the most accurate & stable ID at depth I've ever seen. It will ID correctly almost as deep as it can detect, I got a dime 7" deep that IDed correctly on all of 10-20 passes I did before digging it up. This was in moderately mineralized soil that was hard from being totally dry. It is good at getting tilted coins. After setting the ground balance it goes deep & IDs great. Dimes ID 80-85, quarters 85-86, nickels 52-53, copper cents upper 70s to lower 80s. Iron disc of 40 can completely reject things like steel bottle caps. At iron disc 35, they give a one way beep. The zinc cents give high tone 1 way & mid tone on return sweep, so no need to even look at the visual ID.

In PRO mode I'm told it can hear a coin under a nail, if iron is not completely rejected. I've just used it in STD mode, sens 7 out of 8, iron disc 40, coins program. Almost never dug junk & when I did it was almost always small round objects.

I had a Garrett Ace 250 & the deepest dime that IDed correctly was 4" vs 7" for the AT Pro. Even Minelab users say their visual ID is not accurate beyond 7". I've got a Minelab Safari that can detect a dime in air test to 11.5" vs 10" for AT Pro, but Safari can't ID accurately at depth any better than AT Pro, despite cost. AT Pro in STD mode, sens 7 of 8, gives a high tone at 10" on a dime. The Safari at 11.5" gives almost all low junk/iron IDs on dime. Best wishes, George (MN)

P.S. I am not brand-prejudiced as have owned about 50 detectors from White, Fisher, Garrett, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter, Nautilus, Wilson, Minelab, Compass, & chinese models. Have been detecting since 1976.
    releventchair and bigfoot1 like this.

Mar 2013
    8 times
    I'd try to find a used minelab in good shape. Warranty can be transferred if too much time hasn't passed. If you can expand your budget any you should consider it.
    fistfulladirt likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    West Michigan
    A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
    207 times
    min 3 tone ID (low, mid, high) = MUST for a beginner

Target ID = Must for beginner

Depth gage (good for a beginner)

Turn on and go = must for a beginner

$400 range?

Fisher F4
    Garrett Ace 350
    MineLab 505
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    Maybe a used Whites MXT

just to name a few for someone just starting out but that doesn't want the bottom of the barrel and that have some sort of features/extras

HH and good luck in whatever you decide
    Last edited by lonewolfe; Apr 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
    liftloop likes this.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    1005 times
    silver surfing
    ONe big feature of Minelab, is that all the knobs go to eleven! That's what we call the MInelab advantage.
    liftloop and CoilyGirl like this.

us
    Jun 2010
    CA
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Whites Matrix M6, Minelab Excalibur Seasearch
    128 times
    Fisher F2 $199.00 sweet machine!
    dieselram94 and nailbender1 like this.
    Ring Count

10 Gold 18K 14K 10K
    5 Silver .925
    4 Junkers

us
    Nov 2011
    777 times
    Metal Detecting
    this is like asking what is best fishing reel,golf club,chevy vs ford....on and on...I say rent,rent,rent....then buy
    I dont care which machine you use...you're gonna dig trash.
    an extra thousand bucks aint gonna solve that.

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5523 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanM362 View Post
    So, Jeff, was is the big difference with the $1500 - $3000 detector versus my $600 AT Pro? Just curious.
    well first off I've never used the AT Pro

So I am going on what I think the Big difference is.

the AT Pro doesn't have the features the Minelab Explorer has

one of them
    FBS (Full Band Spectrum : 28 frequencies operating simultaneously over a range from 1.5kHz to 100kHz.)

or BBS
    (Broad Band Spectrum : transmits multiple separate frequencies over a range of 1.5 kHz to 25.5 kHz. All multiple frequencies are transmitted at the same time, spread over a wide spectrum. )

as I said (Spoiled)

Not trying to be rude, or Brand Loyal so much as,
    trying to be honest on my mindset.

as I said earlier, you (I) still need to swing over the object so
    no matter the cost of the detector if You (I) don't swing over it, And Dig
    neither of us win, but I'd feel out of place swinging anything else.
    and not hearing what I Do.
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Apr 18, 2013 at 01:24 AM.
    dustytrails123 and liftloop like this.

us
    Commodore

Mar 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
    286 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post

well first off I've never used the AT Pro

So I am going on what I think the Big difference is.

the AT Pro doesn't have the features the Minelab Explorer has

one of them
    FBS (Full Band Spectrum : 28 frequencies operating simultaneously over a range from 1.5kHz to 100kHz.)

or BBS (Broad Band Spectrum : transmits multiple separate frequencies over a range of 1.5 kHz to 25.5 kHz. All multiple frequencies are transmitted at the same time, spread over a wide spectrum. )

as I said (Spoiled)

Not trying to be rude, or Brand Loyal so much as,
    trying to be honest on my mindset.

as I said earlier, you (I) still need to swing over the object so
    no matter the cost of the detector if You (I) don't swing over it, And Dig
    neither of us win, but I'd feel out of place swinging anything else.
    and not hearing what I Do.
    So, what is the outcome of the frequency things you mention? Better target ID? Better depth?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsors