Is all cheap detectors, Junk

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,Pro pointer, TRX,Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Beachhunter ID, whites bullseye ll pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never owned a detector before. When looking them up there are a wide variety, of detectors and prices. Do the cheap detectors work as efficiently, as a expensive one. I need one to try to locate drop age, around the treasure area in question. Looking to get one, don't know all the brands, need one for under 400$, that's all I got to work with. Thanks Justintime

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
for $400 you can get a sweet machine, tesoro, fisher, whites etc.etc. you gotta figure if the soil you'll be detectn is highly mineralised or not, if so then you need a detector with ground balance.

OP
OP
Justintime

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,Pro pointer, TRX,Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Beachhunter ID, whites bullseye ll pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Bevo,, the soil, at the area in question, there is alot of iron in the rocky terrain.. I want the best bang for the buck. Thanks. Justintime

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you want to know the Absolute Truth ?

a Cheap detector to Me, and anyone who has used a $1500 to $3000 detector is a toy
plain & simple.

I'm Spoiled by the bells & Whistles.
I will never use a cheap detector. I'll quit hunting first :dontknow:

===========

That Said

a Cheap detector to someone who never picked one up, has so much Potential.

they could strike it rich with the first target, or at the very least

learn if they Like the Hobby & are going to get addicted, or give up.

if you can only afford a cheap one. Go for it.:occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Justintime

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Jeff. What do I, need to look for In a detector, what whistles do I need..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuff call, But I Would say a Meter is Key

even though you should dig everything, even when the meter says foil or can tab
it will help you learn what detectors can & Can't do.

Plus if you hit trash areas you may want to by picky

Multi Tones would be a close second, Especially for me.

From there there are so many adjustments that can be
made your probably better off not knowing about them till
you don't really need full explanations.

I see bevo mentioned $400 & some brands.

I'm probably going to Catch Hell for this from someone,
But You asked & it is My opinion. (some hate Minelab I'm ok with that :dontknow: )

But I would avoid tesoro. Simply because no Decent meter & Single tone I think.
Light yes But My personal opinion Frustrating toy for newbies in trashy areas.
only good for competition hunts. where you know whats buried. & where.

I hear the Minelab X-terra's are good. Have a 350, Never used it.
As I said "Spoiled" :tongue3:

Whites and fisher have always been good.

allot do like Bounty hunter & Garrett.

Garrett is single tones I believe, Someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For $400 you should be able to pick up a good clean used machine. Like a Minelab Xterra series or a used At-Pro. I would recomend for a starter machine the Fisher F2 for around $200 new. These are awesome! We have dug many objects at 8 inches plus with ours. I do not like the Ace series or anything made by "Bounty Hunter" brand...I do like the Fisher brand though. You do tend to get what you pay for. Take your time and get a great deal on a clean used one! :icon_thumright:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett has more than one tone in the AT Series, but that is out of his budget. Consider the Whites Coinmaster GT, it has ground balance capabilities and is in your price range. Fisher F4 also has ground balance in your price range. Call me if I can help with your decision.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have added $200 or $3000 there is still allot of Luck involved.
If it's not there Or you don't swing over it.
the price of your detector won't help :laughing9:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely buy used. That way, if you don't enjoy it, you'll be able to sell it for about what you paid for it. You should be able to find a used AT-Pro for around that price. That is certainly no toy, in the hands of someone with experience, it can compete with many of the big boys. You may be able to score other mid-level used detectors for close to that price, keep an eye out and good luck!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In a metal detector, I could not do without a few features:

Multi-tones
Depth meter
Target ID

With these, your rate of success increases tremendously.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been in this for over 40 years... Is all cheap detectors junk ...NO THEY are NOT......If you buy a detector from ... Whites , Tesoro , Fisher , Garrett .....There detectors from $200.00 to $400.00 are very good detectors ... There are ones out there finding more with those detectors than some do with there $1000.00 and up detectors..... Remember just like cars , watches , ect , ect..... The more money you pay the more bells & whistles you get......... And remember there are detector snobs out there that have to have the top dollar detector........ Even tho some of the detectors under $400.00 work just as well & will find just as much as the big buck ones..................

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I startes with a ace250 which is about 210 and just upgraded to a minelab safari. I will just say u get what u pay for, wish I woulda got the minelab to start.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some friendly advice from a garrett user.....buy something else

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you want to know the Absolute Truth ?

a Cheap detector to Me, and anyone who has used a $1500 to $3000 detector is a toy
plain & simple.

I'm Spoiled by the bells & Whistles.
I will never use a cheap detector. I'll quit hunting first :dontknow:

:

So, Jeff, was is the big difference with the $1500 - $3000 detector versus my $600 AT Pro? Just curious.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So all , what's in his range that will deal with iron?. Because i,ve been using it i,d try my 350 without hesitation. While i can knock out alot of iron,without trying in his area ground balance still bugs my suggesting same model,mine being automatic. Justin looking for spills or drops it seems like.

Is that applause i hear Diesel and Dusty? L.o.l.. oh look ,a bottle cap!

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out today for 2 hours with the ace350 and im not going to count the bottle caps i have piled up in my junk bag but id say theres aleast 20 of them.....i found 14 cents and around 20 caps at my frist location and got sick of it went to an old hunted out spot i have been pounding and pulled a silver dime was very few signals there much easier then digging bottle caps hours on end

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So all , what's in his range that will deal with iron?. Because i,ve been using it i,d try my 350 without hesitation. While i can knock out alot of iron,without trying in his area ground balance still bugs my suggesting same model,mine being automatic. Justin looking for spills or drops it seems like.

Is that applause i hear Diesel and Dusty? L.o.l.. oh look ,a bottle cap!
LOL! Again I think if his budget is $400 then he should buy a used upper end machine. He will be way happier in the end and likely will not loose much money if he was to trade it in.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
Watch it jeff! I love my minelab.:laughing9:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I can cherry pick and duck most,not all caps. Am willing to dig them a while where i hunt regular.
If i could trade a couple units in i could see running a minelab down the road. Content for now,usually.
getting Justins hands on a variety of used with knowledgeable user(s) would go far.
What i think he is wanting it for a lot of units will cover,its what he might want out of it farther on that makes amount of investment important.

Jeff,the garrett ace series are multi bell tones. At times capable of an interesting medley!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread